• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much can you eat ?

carberello

I had my Roux en Y 5 weeks ago today. I'm a little worried about the amount of 'wet' or lubricated food I can manage. I have no problem eating a cup size bowl of mince beef stew with chopped carrots, onions peas etc. It seems to go down as easily as before the surgery. I have also eaten around 4 or 5 tablespoons of Fusilli pasta in sauce with no problem.

I know RNY is a tool - and not a solution - and Ive adjusted my eating down ( lost 2 and a half stone in 5 weeks) but I'm wondering if something might have gone wrong to allow me to scoff wet foods so easily?

Has anyone else found it so easy to eat wet foods in these measures so soon after RNY ?
I still get quickly bloated on less lubricated foods but anything with liquid just disappears and to be honest its quite worrying as Im terrified I can cheat the surgery without realising it.

Thanks

Honestly try not to worry I was shocked at how much I was able to eat at first then once I started on solid foods I realised how little I could eat, now an eg is 3 fish fingers or 2 n a 1/2 if i have beans xx

I'm the opposite. I am four weeks post op and am still on purees. I can get about 250ml of soup down but not the same amount of purees. However, I have only lost 1 stone 7 lb since the operation (1 stone 6 lb on the pre op). I think this is because I am not eating enough. I'm struggling to get over 500 calories a day. I'm going to look into protein drinks to see if it will help.

Hi carbella I am 3 weeks post op & i should be on purees but can pretty much eat anything as long as i chew it really really well, although i havent tried pasta yet & i do still blitz meat with a blender. But i have managed to eat 2 slices toast with pate, and last night I ate a faily large bowl of spagetti bolognase suace with minced meat (homemade) which really surprised me, I also am thiking something must be wrong if I can eat like that, Im glad im not the only one. Im hoping that when i move to full solids I will feel different.x

I'm the opposite. I am four weeks post op and am still on purees. I can get about 250ml of soup down but not the same amount of purees. However, I have only lost 1 stone 7 lb since the operation (1 stone 6 lb on the pre op). I think this is because I am not eating enough. I'm struggling to get over 500 calories a day. I'm going to look into protein drinks to see if it will help.

Ahh thats encouraging in a way. The Pasta I managed to eat was the ready prepared type you by in supermarkets in 250g packs. 250g is over 8 oz which is why I was shocked- half a pound of food didnt feel right - now I realise we should be talking volume rather than weight! although just measured my soup bowl I use for mince and thats 350ml -over 12 oz so Im guessing its washing straight through the pouch as is the food lubricated by sauce etc. Maybe t time to move onto those fish fingers and beans and the like!

As a tip Holland and Barrett have a great deal on low carb whey powder - tastes a bit like watery readybrek/porrige but not too bad with a bit of milk.

Hi carbella I am 3 weeks post op & i should be on purees but can pretty much eat anything as long as i chew it really really well, although i havent tried pasta yet & i do still blitz meat with a blender. But i have managed to eat 2 slices toast with pate, and last night I ate a faily large bowl of spagetti bolognase suace with minced meat (homemade) which really surprised me, I also am thiking something must be wrong if I can eat like that, Im glad im not the only one. Im hoping that when i move to full solids I will feel different.x

I thought maybe my tum was bigger than usual but I only have problems - or rather dont have problems eating wet foods. I tred toast but that blocked me up. I've been ill on chicken ( trying to run before I could walk) I went to a party Sat eve and didnt eat or drink - I thought i was great until I tried a liquorich allsort and felt like death warmed up. Luckily I've found thats the only effect I get when I 'dump' although strangly I can tolerate milk one day and it has the same duping effect the next day! Confusing.
Maybe some of us just have cast iron pipes and can eat more easily. It just means being more vigilant I think.

carberello said:
Ahh thats encouraging in a way. The Pasta I managed to eat was the ready prepared type you by in supermarkets in 250g packs. 250g is over 8 oz which is why I was shocked- half a pound of food didnt feel right - now I realise we should be talking volume rather than weight! although just measured my soup bowl I use for mince and thats 350ml -over 12 oz so Im guessing its washing straight through the pouch as is the food lubricated by sauce etc. Maybe t time to move onto those fish fingers and beans and the like!

As a tip Holland and Barrett have a great deal on low carb whey powder - tastes a bit like watery readybrek/porrige but not too bad with a bit of milk.

I can eat a whole bowl full of home made soup but today I had my first bit of (warburtons) sandwich thins sliced and a fish cake inside, I managed half and was stuffed so wet stuff definitely goes down more. X

Soft foods like mince & mash go down & through very easily. More normal meats etc as you have to chew don't go through as quickly.
I to have caught my self eating seemingly huge amounts of mince in whatever recipie choice that nights tea is but without pasta or rice it goes down nicely.
As I type the pasta I've just had for tea ( the first for a long while) is behaving much the same as some rice I had some months ago. It's swelling (or feels it is) inside my pouch so I am feeling uncomfortable as if the pasta is making its way back up to make a re-appearance in an unpleasant manner. I'm now almost 8mths out so we still face challenges I've now brought some tiny shell pasta shapes to try the next time I want pasta in the hope that this will sit more happily in my pouch.

I think as long as you eat slowly taking around twenty minutes per meal and putting your knife and fork down between small bites and chewing twenty plus times then you will be fine, enjoy your meals and enjoy the weightoss more xxx

I'm happy not to eat problematic foods like pasta, rice and bread. They're high GI carbs anyway and I don't need them. I just wish chocolate didn't go down so easily. We have a house full of guests at the moment and they brought me a big box of chocolate divided into small stick bars of 125 calories each. If I have one, it's only one. Previously I'd have eaten three or four if not more. But still, that's 125 calories I really don't need so I think I'm going to give the whole thing to my daughter; anything to get it out of the house!

As to how much can I eat; very little at a sitting, but I do get peckish sometimes inbetween so I need a healthy snack.

Do you like yogurt Ruthie?
For a snack without silly cals I cook fruit with 'pretend' sugar and make myself a fruit yogurt using fat free greek style yogurt. Its a nice sweet treat without a bloated feeling. I put a layer of the fruit at the bottom of the dish and just put about two tablespoons of the yogurt on top. Last night I cooked four nectarines, they will last me a week(ish). Last week I did bluberries and strawberries which I had frozed in their raw state and then cooked a handfull each night to add to my yogurt.
I really dont enjoy the taste of chocolate anymore (fortunately) but savoury things were always my problem, not sweet.
Anyway, take care.
Lynne x

I can eat a whole bowl full of home made soup ....

That's quite reassuring - looking at your weight loss it doesn't seem to have done you any harm!

Last night I managed 2 fishfingers and about 1/3rd of a tin of beans. That went down quite easily but did fill me. I think I'm going to swap beans for healthier peas ( frozen) in future. Whatever happens I know for absolute that I'm not eating anything the bulk I used to and that my weight is going in the right direction.
Thanks

tasha82 said:

Can I ask what post-op dietary advice you were given?
Toast is full, solid food and certainly something I was advised not to eat for the first 3 months.
I'm 8 months out from my op and still couldn't eat two rounds of toast/bread.
You say you can eat pretty much anything, but what kind of things are you trying? It certainly sounds to me like you may be pushing your op a tad too far, too early.
xXx

Last edited:
Do you like yogurt Ruthie?
For a snack without silly cals I cook fruit with 'pretend' sugar and make myself a fruit yogurt using fat free greek style yogurt. Its a nice sweet treat without a bloated feeling. I put a layer of the fruit at the bottom of the dish and just put about two tablespoons of the yogurt on top. Last night I cooked four nectarines, they will last me a week(ish). Last week I did bluberries and strawberries which I had frozed in their raw state and then cooked a handfull each night to add to my yogurt.
I really dont enjoy the taste of chocolate anymore (fortunately) but savoury things were always my problem, not sweet.
Anyway, take care.
Lynne x

Yes I like fruit yogurt. However I don't have access to the same choices as the rest of you, as I keep kosher. Kosher yogurts vary a lot in how nice they are and their calorie content. The best, and the lowest calorie fruit yogurts, (fat free) are Israeli; (52 calories) trouble is, they don't import the nicest ones to the UK. So I'm stuck with English or American imported ones; twice as many calories as Israeli, and not nearly as nice.

On my recent trip to Israel I really thought of bringing back a whole lot of Israeli yogurts but it wasn't practical. Oh well. I put up with the ones I can get here!

All is not lost; when Passover gets nearer, all kinds of Israeli imports start arriving, so maybe some of the nice yogurts will too!

Cant you use Kosher yogurt as a starter to make your own yogurt using the milk you normally use? Would make life lots easier for you.
Lynne x

I too can eat alot of 'wet' food , 5ooml of soup goes in very easily! I am 12 weeks and have noticed the restriction now when I introduce drier foods.
Take your time and if you cant manage something leave it for a couple of weeks and try again , I even went back a stage at about 9 weeks as found /i was being sick alot - seems to have worked, for now xx

Thanks Cassie.
I've just tried some lovely looking succulent rump steak and ate around a matchbox size piece before I had to admit defeat which Im guessing points to the size of my pouch ( which I thought I'd damaged after the person on the end of the WLS phone consultation nearly had an eppy when I told her Id ate some 'Big soup' )
Feeling much reassured now after some of the replies. Really glad I found this forum.

Back