• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have no idea if im doing well or not...

as I have had little to no contact with my hospital since my op, and i am currently in the middle of a complaint with them...

So, Im 9 and a bit months out, and i started at 19 stone and 7lbs.
I am now 11 stone and 2.8lbs - Some days I think this is fantastic, and havent I done well... and then others (most days) I worry im not doing as well as I could. I have lost just over 8 stone and I am now a healthy BMI, but I still feel fat.
My dress size has gone from a 24 to an all over size 12.

Okay, honesty time... *deep breath*

I don't exersice. I did for about a month, daily, and then I stopped, so I have lost all that weight with no daily/weekly exersice.

I also have never been concerned with my carb intake, or overly worried about my protein.
I have a varied and healthy diet. I have never used protein supplements.
*prepares to get told off* ... I also dont take any vits, or calcium. I had very poor health recently, had my bloods done, and everything was totally normal and fine, bar my B12, so I had to have an injection ever other day for 2 weeks and now an injection every 3 months...

I guess I just have no idea if im doing okay, if ive lost as much as i should have.

I am still loosing weight, not as fast as I was.
Ihave lost 8lbs in the past month, so still not bad, and especially as i dont move my chubby butt very much!

Im feeling quite low with all the worrying, and I feel so guilty when I eat things.

I wonder if it will ever get to a point where im happy with my weight.

Maybe it would just be enough if I knew how I was doing, my OH tells me how well Ive done, but I guess I need to hear it from someone in the know.. gah.

Am I the only one who feels like this?!

Sorry for the rambling.:sigh:

Last edited:
I'm at exactly the same stage as you had my op 2 weeks before. I've lost the same amount almost to the pound but as I started higher I'm stiil overweight. Plus I have had about the same contact with my team as you.

Are you doing it right, well who knows whats best for others. Here's my 2 pennorth for whats its worth. Dietwise all the literature from the US research (more long term and wide than UK at the mo) focuses on low carb/high protein and certainly on another wls forum where there are a lot of long termers many have had problems either losing the last bit as they get further out or are struggling with some regain and almost all cite too many carbs as the problem. Supplements and vitamins I would say yes you can potentially do some harm by not taking them. You are not far enough out to suffer major side effects yet but the malbsorption means you cannot get all your requirements from food and so all teams advice is that you MUST take them. If you get your diet right ie 60gs of protein per day from food then you do not necessarily need protein shakes etc but I actually like them so add them in as an insurance.

Exercise - well eat less shift your butt more is the mantra to keeping healthy and once we step outside of this golden period then this becomes important to keep weight off. Never done it before myself and yep never maintained my weight loss. So this time invested in a treadmill and good grief I'm actually using it. Will I start going to the gymn...no get a grip M. Good brisk walk round the block for a mile or so every day would also do the trick.

Will being 'normal' every be second nature? - No not to me it won't ..too big (30st) for too long to recognise who I am now and worry all the time that I won't make it, that I'm going to fail, that I'm still too fat. I expect we just have to wait for our heads to catch up and get used to the new us and whats OK and whats not.

So the answer would seem to be yes and no to your questions. BUT you're doing fine and we're all new on this road and everyone here will support each other through it. This is why I'm so keen on the 6 minth post op section to provide somewhwre to help with thiese longer term worries and concerns.

Blimey rambled on there but just wanted to let you kjow you,re not alone

Take care

M

Well, yes, you're doing OK, size 12 is a great size compared to what you used to be.

I always say this to people though, I want to be fit as well as being smaller! To me, it's both things. It's not just being smaller.

So for me, this is where exercise and diets play more of a roll. Because you don't do any exercise, your diet is probably not as important as someone who is exercising.

No people are the same. If you're happy at 12 stone not doing a lot, then great.

But would you like to be an active size 10?

I think you've done really well weight loss wise, but also would urge you to take your vits etc, or you could become really ill:(
Can I just ask, when you were needing your B12 did you go v dizzy and weak, as that's how I am at the moment, and the nurse thinks i'm anaemic even though i'm taking all my iron etc:eek:
Fitness wise why don't you try swimming to start with, it is easy enough and really tones you up x:D

You are doing brill. Take some multivits and get some quality protein in as these are important long term.

Come back and let us know how things are going.....dont be a stranger!

Thank you so much for all the replies.

Mix - i am 11stone not 12:p lol and i do actually have some size 10 clothes that fit, and tbh, i have a cross trainer and i do plan on using it once i get to a point where im struggling to loose. I have to admit, i was doing a lot on it before i got so low on B12, and my B12 has only just been fixed, the dr said it will take some time to get my energy back up, so im hoping that will help and ill shift my butt into doing it again.

candie, my symptoms were...
Always tired
dizzy when standing up (which i suffer from all the time now)
i became so so so so so pale
bruising
feeling like crap all the time
sleeping for 12 hours and still be tired and needing to nap.
big bags under my eyes
etc etc lol

get your bloods done, B12 can be linked to anemia also - so ask them to check.
I had B12 problems when i was litte also.

The reason i stopped with my vits is cos the forcival was making me sick... and then i just kindda got out the habbit of taking normal multi vits!

im so glad for this part of the forum, and to know im not alone :)

.x.

oh ps... i do get the occasional urge to go out on a rather huuuge walk, so atleast i am getting some movement! (its more of a hike, along the great glen way!)

i know mix, but you should know never to get a a womens weight wrong lol... im just teasing.

i really aprechiate the advice, and i know your dead right! thank you :D

.x.

I think you are doing really well and having started at a size 24 myself what an acheivement to get to a size 12 in 9 months. I am like you i joined a gym and started well but haven't gone since xmas and now virtually don't exercise. Its difficult to change a life time of bad habits, i talk from experience there and i have made up my mind that i need to find ways of exercising that i don't see as exercise if that makes sense. Maybe we can motivate each other to get us going? I too have never used protein supplements on the advice of my surgeon but please please take your vitamins as they are necessary for your good health. Big hugs xx

Bee I had my bloods taken yesterday, but am having my B12 jab next week anyway.I need it every 2 months now:eek:

I feel like i haven't done very well either, i'm nearly 18 months post op and have only lost just under 6 st.
i have gone from a size 26/28 to a 16/18, i would LOVE to get into a size 12 one day, sooner rather than later, to this end today i started 5 day pouch test that, and i know my dietry choices have been bad, so thats why i prob haven't done so well :eek:
It feels to me like everyone is doing so much better than me, and this makes me feel really bad, guilty and fed up, which makes me comfort eat and so the vicious circle continues :cry:. I know i have done well and exceeded the average amount of weight loss according to dietician, but it doesn't feel like it sometimes :cry:Sorry for being so negative about it but thats how i feel :(

Im so sorry i have not been around to reply to this , my internet has died a death and im currently at my other halfs work so im using it there...

I know what you mean about feeling guilty.
I havent really lost anything for about a month, mainly cos ive been eating richer foods etc as im sorta happy with how i look, im an all over size 12, but i set myself a goal of 10 stone... something which now im not sure i want to be, i think another stone off actual weight would make me look ill.

Fact is i have maybe a stone of excess skin anyway.

But i feel bad for not loosing, and i feel maybe i should loose more, im getting married in may, so im gunna go back to eating normally (no more ben and jerrys frozen yogurt, boo) and hope to drop maybe half a stone by then.
It is so hard not to compare to other people.

Shaz, we have to remember how well we have done, and how far we have come, and if it werent for the op we would be putting on weight, not just maintaining etc, any loss, is great, and i think some people have a natural tendancy to be a little larger, providing your not sabotaging yourself, i think the body gets to its on happy balance.

:)

.x.

I know I'm a little late, but wanted to add that it sounds to me like your doing a fabulous job.

When I went to my provider 3 weeks ago, they said that on average most people lose 60% of their excess body weight after 2 years - you have lost over 100% in less than half that time - thats a very inspirational story for those who have had/considering having surgery to change their lives.

To me knowing whether your doing well is down to each individual - I use the feel of my clothes, some of my support groups members use their weight, others their BMI - only the individual can decide if they are happy with what they have achieved...

ejc

Back