• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

In Pain When Eating and Drinking

PinkyButtonz

Hi All,

I've been experiencing some discomfort for a few days because of constipation, which is now better.

Since the constipation I haven't been able to eat my usual amount. Today is worse, after a couple of mouthfuls of cereal I had to stop as I was in so much discomfort. Even drinking I can feel the pain.

I plan to ring my Bariatric Team tomorrow if its still a problem, but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced similar?

I'm 10 weeks post op and I experienced similar problems which was caused by a stenosis. I've had to have 2 pouch stretches. I really hope you don't have the same problem as I have as it's really unpleasant, but your team should be able to find out what it is.

Sorry to hear you are struggling Pinky. I have days where my restriction seems tight and I cannot eat much, but I would be worried if I were in pain.

Give your team a ring this morning hun. x

Thank you both for your replies.

I put off speaking to my bariatric team because my daughter is very sick.
I finally just spoke to them. I was worried they would want me to go in to hospital, and that is what they suggested but I can't leave my daughter at this time.

I've been sticking to blended food in smaller portion, and while the problem is still there I find it easier for the food to go down and have a little less discomfort. They said to stick with this and see how I get on and if any changes to get back in touch with them or go to A&E.

Sweetie I know your daughter is sick but you will be of no use to her if you come down sick too...get yourself checked out soon, pain is natures way of alerting us to possible trouble.

Hi Pinky , sorry to hear of your pain, hope you get it sorted very soon and your daughter gets better xx

Sorry I couldn't post anything longer last time, I'd hurt my right hand and couldn't type much.

I had problems getting food down that I could previously eat like baked beans and cottage pie etc. But I started having problems so I went back on to the liquid phase of my post op diet (which is what is recommended anyway), after that didn't work I contacted my team and they asked me to stay on the liquid diet for another week and try again. At the end of the week I tried some omelette and promptly threw up. I contacted my team again and they arranged for me to have an endoscopy and to have the entrance to my pouch stretched. I had the proceedure and everything was ok for a week or so but then I started having the same problems again and had to have another stretch. That was last Friday and tonight I've had beans for the first time so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway your team is right to get you to try blended food first as it could just be a bit of swelling. My endoscopy and stretch was treated as a day case so I didn't need to stay in hospital.

Hope you feel better soon hun x

Struggled with mashed potato and gravy last night. Left me in a lot of pain.

Thanks everyone, I've taken on board your comments.
After speaking to the bariatric team and my dr I'm back in liquids till after Easter. If I'm still having problems I'm to go to the hospital via A&E next week.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, especially when you are already worrying about your daughter. Stress make our bodies behave in all sorts of odd ways, so maybe that is a factor in your eating probs? Lots of fluids, lots and lots, usually does it for me when my pouch is unhappy. I do hope things work out for you both very soon.

Back