• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Infection alert . . . bad mother!

hsmel

This is just a little cautionary tale really and in the light of Charis' recent trials I thought I would tell the story as a warning really - and possibly prevent someone else doing the same as me.

My daughter had a knee arthroscopy some three months ago. Since then she has got back to normal and was once again riding her horses and competing. The other day I had a phone call to say she had been thrown on the road (well, some dogs chased her horse and the horse slipped and trapped her underneath). As the road was slippery every time the horse tried to scramble up it fell back on top of her. Needless to say she had been taken to hospital as it was her bad knee it had landed on.

I rushed to A and E where she had been Xrayed and MRI scanned to make sure all was still ok. Everything intact we were sent home saying ice packs and rest. Her knee and arm were very badly grazed - her knee almost down to the bone. However as they were more worried about injury to the actual op site they told her to soak in a bath to get the grit out and put antiseptic cream on and wear loose clothes.

She had seemed fine for five days afterwards and had even gone back to work. This weekend however she was sick on Friday night and said she felt shivery/fluey. She had a stiff neck and just felt unwell. On Saturday she said she felt a little better but by the afternoon had been sick again three times and her head was banging. She still had a stiff neck. She did not however have any problem with strong light so we all assumed she either had a 'bug', or it was a migraine (she has had a couple previously).

By Sunday she had been sick again although had not eaten anything at all, felt dizzy every time she stood up and was going round holding her head like it may fall off.

As she sat on a kitchen stool in her nightee I noticed her bad knee. The whole of her leg had a horrid raised rash with huge purple whorls around the main injury and what looked like every hair in her leg had an ingrow problem - and she was scratching it. Each hair follicle looked raised and septic. Something definitely not right.

I rang our local out of hours service and took her to the doctors. She had the beginning of septicaemia and the infection from her knee had spread to the whole of her leg - in fact by the time the doctor saw her she had similar spots appearing on her torso. She was given iv antibiotics and sent home with 500mg high dose 4 times a day for 10 days. I was told if I had left it just 12 hours longer it could have been fatal.

Luckily she is now well on the mend. We are not a good family for running to the doctors (horses and injuries seem to go hand in hand and someone would always be there!) However I think the moral of this story is please everyone if there is any possibility of an infection please see the doctor. I think we were quite lucky that I noticed her leg as she sat in the kitchen. I am just pleased she was not wearing pj's instead!

o gosh its very frightening really when you think about it, good job you noticed, and i hope now she s well on her to recovery xx

Awww your poor daughter, Thank God you noticed her leg! Pleased to hear she is now on the mend. Its very important to look for signs of infection, years ago I had an abcess under my arm and it got more and more painful, I just thought it was going to eventually burst so left it. A friend of mine who was a nurse saw my arm one day and it had long red lines all up my arm at the back that I hadnt noticed and that was septecemia too. I was taken into hospital and had an op to drain it all and was in for a week having it packed and dressed every day!! So theres another occasion where infection set in and could have been really dangerous. Please everyone be cautious :D XX

omg am so glad help was seeked when you did, and shes on the mend, Scarey isnt it how quick things can progress xx

My word, that was so fortunate.... it's such an easy thing to succumb too and it is such a devastating outcome if unnoticed... hope she is soon tip top and thanks for raising our awareness... love and hugs to you all xxx

Hope you daughter is feeling better now

It reminds me of my daughter at 14 waking me up in the middle of the night with stomach pains. I told her to take some paracetomol and to go back to sleep. Well an hour later and a mad dash to the hospital she was diagnosed with appendicitis :eek: :eek: and she has never let me live it down, being the uncaring mother that I am

Glad it is not just me that has done this. She is loads better now thank goodness - the iv antibiotics must kick in pretty quickly as the horrid swirly marks round every spot and the funny lines running from her knee all faded within the first four hours. She is a bit of a drama queen in general as she always is complaining about something!! Will listen in future and at risk of being a pain in the butt will go to doctors sooner !!

Thinking of you poor daughter and sincerely hoping that she is feeling much better... it's a lesson for us all... hope she is soon back to full fitness... please don't blame yourself for doing your best... we are all the same and it's not easy to be aware of everything that might happen... so glad it's all getting sorted.

Sending love and hugs always xxx

Back