• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Introduction

clockworkbuddha

Hi all - been lurking a couple of months but decided in June to opt for a gastric sleeve after years of various diets. A very familiar tale on here. Am a 42 year old fella in fear of diabetes, knack erred knees and being out of breath on any walks
Am due for surgery on Sept 9th in Prague.

Wondered how people prepared psychologically for their surgery?

Hi and welcome. Best of luck with your op. I had a band, and my adjustment/preparation was done for the two years I spent deciding on whether or not to proceed with surgery. Once i made the decision it was easy as i knew that it would improve my health and life expectancy. Hopefully someone will pop along soon who can answer your question :)

Hi clockworkbuddha,

I can relate very well to how you feel, I was in the same position as you although I'm 9 years older than you now. My big shove towards making my decision was starting to get heart palpitations and whilst nothing was found wrong despite a barrage of tests it was enough to send me down the surgery route as the various diets and tablets weren't working.

As for preparing psychologically for my surgery, as part of my "package" I got to have a number of appointments with a councillor to discuss any fears or anxieties and to make sure I was ready for a life style change. I was prepared very easily after hearing the results of the cardiac MRI I had whilst trying to diagnose my heart palpitations. I had/have a fatty heart as a result of my weight and the only way to lose it was to lose weight. Either that or realistically expect a shorter life span. That was the kick up the backside I needed and put me in the right frame of mind and made me determined to see it through - you are a long time dead as they say and it's not my time yet so I'm not going to give up that easy.

I can't really give you any tips or advice in getting in the right place psychologically because everyone will have their own reasons for doing it. I had my sleeve on the 10th of June and although it's still early days - I'm loving it, the weight is going, my knees no longer hurt when walking and I don't get breathless climbing just one set of stairs. I'm so glad I made the decision to have it done.

The hardest bit of the entire process for me wasn't the surgery or the pre-op diet, my provider had a number of options and I did Heinz Weight Watcher soups and Muller light yoghurts for 2 weeks. OK it got a bit boring and I was combining different soups together and adding various herbs and spices to make it more interesting. After surgery I had to do 2 weeks on liquids, then 2 weeks on pureed food followed by 2 weeks on soft foods before back to normal foods. The hardest bit was pureed food for me, I hated it, but it was only 2 weeks out of what I sincerely hope is going to be a longer life than I could have realistically looked forward to prior to making my decision to have surgery.

I really hope you get yourself in the place your head needs to be and when you're there embrace the experience and look forward to a new healthier, lighter you and a longer life to come.

All the very best.

AE.

I have to have lots of pre op counselling, both one to one and group sessions to help me understand what I am getting into and what life will be like on the other side. The main thing is you are not on your own with this one, so grab every bit of help that the professionals offer and make the most of it ... I think you get the most out of the process when you put the most effort in.

Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

Hi and welcome clockworkbuddha

Congrats and well done on getting your sleeve date :) Im due to have my bypass done this Thursday. Just had my pre op Assesment this morning so Im all ready to go now. As AlphaEcho says its a good tip to start looking at getting the head in gear by changing your lifestyle/eating habits now. More or less from the day I knew I had my funding i did this and it has helped tremendously. I know now were I was going wrong in my diet, I have identified my triggers for stress eating & as a result lost a lot of weight already. Be prepared too for all the tricks your body will play on you to try and make you fail... it dosent want you to lose those valuable stores of energy and will fightback tooth and nail to make you give up the fight. Learn to accept that you are going to have stalls in loss ..this usually follows after the initial dramatic loss. When it happens despite the fact you are doing all the right things it can be a bit demoralising so you have to be strong and hold on to the thought that things are still happening and it will start to fall again. Also learn to recognise head hunger from true hunger and most importantly be honest with yourself.. Good Luck hun x

Thanks all for the really nice welcoming replies - hear what everyone says about head hunger and stress - and importantly support and group work. I've told a few trusted people including my boss who said it was a fantastic healthy step to take.
I work as a GP myself so that was reassuring!

I think I need to investigate groups in Leeds area - thanks for pre op tips link

And ta again lovely replies :)

Alun

Back