• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is anyone else 6yrs post op?

And still not got to a healthy weight?

Hi and welcome Hun. I’m only 10 weeks post op So can’t help with that but just wanted to say hi and I’m looking forward to hearing any answers on this thread xx

Hi Loulou, I'd be interested in knowing this as well x

Obviously I'm asking because it has happened to me. I started at 31st 6lbs got down to 25st for the op and lost down to 16st 10 and then it stopped. I had the gastric bypass and unfortunately for me have never had a problem eating complex carbs or dumping and can eat 'normal' portions and have put 4st back on. Remember psychologically if you have an addiction to sugar/carbs this will not go away. I weigh every week tho to keep an eye but can see it gradually going back up.

Obviously I'm asking because it has happened to me. I started at 31st 6lbs got down to 25st for the op and lost down to 16st 10 and then it stopped. I had the gastric bypass and unfortunately for me have never had a problem eating complex carbs or dumping and can eat 'normal' portions and have put 4st back on. Remember psychologically if you have an addiction to sugar/carbs this will not go away. I weigh every week tho to keep an eye but can see it gradually going back up.
I'm sorry to hear this, but thanks for sharing it. I do worry about this myself, I'm preop, but I also started out at 31st and have lost over 6 stone AGAIN on my own, but any diet usually stops working for me around the 7 st loss mark and I end up putting it back on.
Why are you regaining? Eating wrong things? Too hungry? Have you gone back to you're surgeon and told them you are struggling again? It must be so disheartening for you, but try and talk to someone before it gets more out of control, they might be able to help x

Thank you both x

I don't think you can eat the wrong things as everything can be eaten in moderation I've lost plenty with still eating choc and cakes but in moderation. No more share bags of malteasers for example we've all been there!

I think the main problem is picking. After the op you obviously can't eat as much in one go but you eat more regularly. For example instead of eating your sandwich for one sitting you eat it over a couple of hours. Your not hungry but it's just there to be eat. I do however try to get make it with one slice of bread now though and make half a sandwich. But it's not just sandwiches and you constantly have to try and make just enough of a portion of any meal which will keep you satisfied rather than leaving you hungry after or too full (to finish in a little while).

As I said these are long term problems. I can't go back to my surgeon as I was discharged about 2yrs after op so have a call back from my gp on the 18th. I'm thinking I may have stretched my pouch. As I say I'm very fortunate I can eat the same type of foods I could before ie breads pasta etc and yrs they are smaller quantities but not as small as they should be.

Thank you both x

I don't think you can eat the wrong things as everything can be eaten in moderation I've lost plenty with still eating choc and cakes but in moderation. No more share bags of malteasers for example we've all been there!

I think the main problem is picking. After the op you obviously can't eat as much in one go but you eat more regularly. For example instead of eating your sandwich for one sitting you eat it over a couple of hours. Your not hungry but it's just there to be eat. I do however try to get make it with one slice of bread now though and make half a sandwich. But it's not just sandwiches and you constantly have to try and make just enough of a portion of any meal which will keep you satisfied rather than leaving you hungry after or too full (to finish in a little while).

As I said these are long term problems. I can't go back to my surgeon as I was discharged about 2yrs after op so have a call back from my gp on the 18th. I'm thinking I may have stretched my pouch. As I say I'm very fortunate I can eat the same type of foods I could before ie breads pasta etc and yrs they are smaller quantities but not as small as they should be.
Have you tried “resetting” your pouch ? X

Oh gosh hun what a rollercoaster poor you . Did you never have any restriction after your surgery? Xx

Oh yes at the beginning for about 2yrs I was eating the same as a small child I remember the day I came out of the hospital I couldn't even finish a spoon of soup!

Oh wow hun so just gradually increased then. I bet it’s So hard for you now. Hopefully gp may refer you back Is that what you would like to happen if you don’t mind me asking. Xx

I have been offered ivf if I get down to a bmi of 25 but can't do it on my own

Oh sweetheart that’s is a big ask for you I hope when you see the GP he offers you some help and support xx

Thank you both x

From All the things I've read you can eat the wrong things, after the"honeymoon” period your pouch will willing accept most foods and if you continually graze on those foods you will regain weight and its not because your pouch has stretched, I've also read lots about that, it doesn't actually stretch, the hunger hormone returns and if you haven't learnt not to graze on the wrong types of food and instead to fuel your body with nutrious food regain will happen. You need to go back to basics, start over concentrating on protein and veg and plenty of fluids and eating just 3 times a day. As Bling mentioned do a search for the ”pouch reset" and see if it can get you back on track xx

From All the things I've read you can eat the wrong things, after the"honeymoon” period your pouch will willing accept most foods and if you continually graze on those foods you will regain weight and its not because your pouch has stretched, I've also read lots about that, it doesn't actually stretch, the hunger hormone returns and if you haven't learnt not to graze on the wrong types of food and instead to fuel your body with nutrious food regain will happen. You need to go back to basics, start over concentrating on protein and veg and plenty of fluids and eating just 3 times a day. As Bling mentioned do a search for the ”pouch reset" and see if it can get you back on track xx

Fascinating Sandra makes sense xx

@Sandra Carter you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I would have said. You are so prepared for your surgery, I can't wait to cheer you on.

Having the tool is only a part of the weight loss. We have to use it to change our lives post op. Small portions alone won't do it as you can graze enough for the calories to add up then regain happens. And our metabolism will be shot after years of yoyo dieting and then over a year of very low calories post op.

Maybe you can try the pouch reset for longer than one week then try and first cut out eating between meals and focusing on protein and veg whilst you wait to see if the GP will help.

Back