• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

is this dumping?

Grace

I just tried a smoothie made with low fat natural yoghurt, milk, and strawberries>I managed about 25 mls. :sigh:

I began running to the loo to poo (sorry for gross details :eek:) almost immediatley.:sign0137::sign0137::sign0137::sign0137::sign0137::sign0137:

My tummy's suddenly feeling very sore/tight.

This happened to me in hospital when I drank milk.

How the heck am I going to manage without milk!

But I had a milky coffee this morning, no bother?:confused::confused::confused:

anyone got any words of wisdom for me please?

It seems to have settled now since I stopped drinking the smoothie.:sigh:

thanks Mixy. I do feel a little bit nauseous too but not terrible. So is this just my new tum playing up a bit do you think?

I know it's early days yet.

Yes it is. You, like myself and many people will find that your tastes are so much different to before you had the op.

I loved meat before, now, although I love the smell, can't actually stomach it. I have to have slices of ham etc.

I remember soon after the op, even just a tiny bit too much, would make me sick.

Luckily I've not had anything that causes toilet troubles but I do remember it not being pleasant up to a week after my operation. It wasn't related to anything I was eating, just my new stomach settling down.

You may find you are developing a lactose intolerance, which is not uncommon post op, but not always permanent either. Keep an eye on it and watch for a pattern, if it keeps happening switch to soya/lactofree to see if it helps.

You may find you are developing a lactose intolerance, which is not uncommon post op, but not always permanent either. Keep an eye on it and watch for a pattern, if it keeps happening switch to soya/lactofree to see if it helps.

thanks Shell. That would seem to make sense as a possibility. Milk and yoghurt in one meal was maybe too much?

Could be indeed. My IBS is set off by dairy, which is very similar to a lactose intolerance, and I know I can tolerate small amounts but not too much when its bad.

It is all very much trial and error in the early/days weeks Charis as to what your pouch will tolerate. I would try yoghart and milk seperatly and see if that helps, i certainly lived on a lot of milk and yoghart early on and was ok but we are all so different x

Thanks Allie.
I've had milk and yoghurt separately and been fine. But milk and soup set me off!

They serve drinks at the same time as meals on the ward at SRH! How mad is that for bypass patients!

I'm struggling to eat enough. Tried some proein powder today in coffee but YUCK!!!!!!!!!!:spit::spit::spit::spit::spit::spit::spit:

It was FOUL!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I'm going to have to get some protein shakes to try.

Charis i developed a lactose intolerance, i was having lots of milk though. After having milk my stomach would gurgle and the urge to run the loo was intense, not a pretty experience when i got there. I brought 'lactofree' milk from Sainsburys and Tescos and that did the job. About six weeks later i tried regular milk and was fine xx

Charis i developed a lactose intolerance, i was having lots of milk though. After having milk my stomach would gurgle and the urge to run the loo was intense, not a pretty experience when i got there. I brought 'lactofree' milk from Sainsburys and Tescos and that did the job. About six weeks later i tried regular milk and was fine xx

Thanks Julie. Yes it's sounding very much like that. And of course I did the milk diet pre-op. Before that I wasn't a big milk/dairy eater at all.
I'll get hold of some lactofree milk tomorrow to try. Flippin supermarket shopping is costing a fortune, what with trying bits of this and bits of that!

I had a couple of attacks like this in the first week that I was home. I think it was just tummy settling down.

Thanks Sharon. I am a bit concerned now though as it's happened 3 or 4 times and seems to be getting a bit worse each time. :sigh:

Charis i'm lucky my surgeon is not in favour of protein shakes and believes you can do it by diet alone, i did try them once and yuk i couldn't get it down. Can't believe they were serving drinks as well as food it mad indeed. You will get there it just takes time good luck hun x

Charis i'm lucky my surgeon is not in favour of protein shakes and believes you can do it by diet alone, i did try them once and yuk i couldn't get it down. Can't believe they were serving drinks as well as food it mad indeed. You will get there it just takes time good luck hun x

Yes indeed! I mentioned it to the dietician (who was really lovely!) who just shrugged her shoulders and said, "oh well, it's only for a few days....so........" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts..........it beggars belief and is unprintable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well sugar is naturally quite sweet (I have a small glass when blood sugar dips and it helps) and the yoghurt may well have more sugar than you expected and then on top of that you have the fructose from the strawberries, it could have been a very mild dump, I have experienced dumping in a variety of guises, from a desperate need to poop to almost passing out and the other classic dumping symptoms, I dont think that dumping is the same for everyone so just because many dont poop when they dump, others do.
Surely a lactose intolerance would make you poorly EVERY time you have it.
As for noisy pouches, mine gurgled loudly for at least 6-7 months, quietened down and is now back to being my noisy little friend sometimes, a noisy pouch doesnt definately mean that its upset.
Steph xx

Well sugar is naturally quite sweet (I have a small glass when blood sugar dips and it helps) and the yoghurt may well have more sugar than you expected and then on top of that you have the fructose from the strawberries, it could have been a very mild dump, I have experienced dumping in a variety of guises, from a desperate need to poop to almost passing out and the other classic dumping symptoms, I dont think that dumping is the same for everyone so just because many dont poop when they dump, others do.
Surely a lactose intolerance would make you poorly EVERY time you have it.
As for noisy pouches, mine gurgled loudly for at least 6-7 months, quietened down and is now back to being my noisy little friend sometimes, a noisy pouch doesnt definately mean that its upset.
Steph xx

Stephie it was real uncomfortable/bordering on painful too. The yoghurt was natural, no sugar at all. I've just had pureeed fruit with no problems.
But I know what you mean about if it was lactose intolerance it would be every time?
I'll just watch and see for a few days. My guts have been so messed with they're bound to take a bit of time to settle down. :eek::sigh:

Not necessarily, sometimes you can tolerate some lactose, but going over a certain amount will set you off. Charlie has a milk protein allergy, and he can tolerate tiny amounts but any more than that and he gets symptoms. He is tiny though so amplify it up! With me pre-op when my intolerance was far worse I could tolerate small amounts but there was a point when it would trigger off the symptoms.

Not necessarily, sometimes you can tolerate some lactose, but going over a certain amount will set you off. Charlie has a milk protein allergy, and he can tolerate tiny amounts but any more than that and he gets symptoms. He is tiny though so amplify it up! With me pre-op when my intolerance was far worse I could tolerate small amounts but there was a point when it would trigger off the symptoms.

Thanks Shel. I am definitely going to moniter it for a few days and see how I go. The yoghurt definitely had no sugar added. I think maybe the yog and milk combined was just too much.

I had a tummy bug last year and after it I couldn't face milk in tea and still don't take it. My bowels didn't stop even though I was good as gold on the milk diet...and i only lost 2 pounds! :( my liver wasn't shrunk hardly at all!

I wonder if this is another indicator? Looks like I'm going to have to do some research!

Back