• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've been a quiet watcher for a while....

simplylucy

Sorry I've not posted for a while. I've been reading all your post though!

I'm now 6 weeks away (on Tuesday) from my surgery and I'm scared already.

I'm well prepared for the actual surgery itself, I'm looking forward to it and getting on with my life....

I'm stressing about a few things. What do I tell my children, they are 11, 10, 8, and 6. I'm always honest and upfront with them about everything so I'll explain exactly whats going on. I guess I'm feeling guilty that I have gotten to a stage where I have to put my little pumpkins though this.

I'm stressing about work. I'm a self employed childminder and I also work in a pre-school. I've not told the parents yet or the pre-school.

The childminding parents are the easy ones, I have the cover set up already, it's cover they have used before and I know it won't be an issue.

The pre-school job is my biggest concern. I worked there on a temp job from April - July and now they have offered me more work from September. Obviously I'll only be doing one week then I'll be off sick. I probably should have said no when they offered the job but couldn't afford to.

My operation is on Tuesday 14th September. I'm planning to go back to childminding on Monday 4th October. I only do before and after school runs for older children and would have to take my own to and from school anyhow. The school is only 100m away.

I'm really hoping I'll be up to returning to the pre-school job on 5th October. Again it's only 2 mornings a week so I'll still get tonnes of rest time.

I know I'm totally mad thinking about returning to work so quickly but it's a neccessity.

I've had 3 c-sections in the past and bounced back from them. Was back to normal in a week each time, with my 3rd baby people didn't believe I'd had a section. She was premature and I spent 5 weeks over Christmas and New Year traveling 15 miles each way twice a day to see her, whilst caring for a 3 year old and 2 year old!

I'm one of these people that just gets on and deals with things.

Oh I so hope my bubble doesn't burst and things go to plan! :sigh:

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!
Best of luck for your surgery.
xXx

Hello :)

Wellcome to the site! Look forward to seeing how things turn out for you and good luck for surgery. :)

Hi Lucy
Welcome to the site, the people here are lovely.
Right down to business! I am day 12 after my bypass and to be honest i am feeling on top of the world. I too have had 3 sections, the last one being January of this year and i like you bounced back really quickly.

The first week i was pretty sore, but not in agony, i didnt have any pain relief not even tablets from day 2 post op onwards. From about Thursday of this week, i have acutally felt almost back to normal, i havent suffered from any tiredness or pain, and have been hoovering, shopping and housework. I have tried not to pick up my baby too much up until the last few days as she is quite heavy and didnt want to put too much strain on my tummy, dont get me wrong i am resting a more than i would normally, but i am not laid up poorly or in agony. I have been really really fortunate with my recovery from my op, i know not everyone sails through, i had my staples out yesterday and again all went well, and to date touch wood, i havent been sick either.

I have got 3 children, 12, 6 and 6 months, i was honest from the start with the older ones, and they seemed to take it in their stride, if they have had questions i have answered, and tried not to make a big deal of it. When i waved them off to school on the Monday, i told them i would see them after school Tuesday, and they seemed fine about it.

I hope this might answer some questions, although i appreciate that no two people are the same,
Love and hugs,
Mona

Hiya Mona,

Thanks for your lovely honest and positive reply.

Well done with your recovery, sounds like you are doing grand. Nothing like children to drag us back up to ful health again!

With regards to my recovery I'm thinking positive and hoping for the best. At the same time I'm also prepared that things may not go to plan and I may need longer off work!

I get more rest going to work though, as you know us mums are useless at resting at home. I'd be hoovering, washing and doing the housework.

My children are at their dads this week so I'm doing bedroom makeovers for them (off to Ikea tomorrow). Hopefully it'll stop me from trying furniture removals too soon after surgery! :D

Work wise I am ok, i am still on maternity leave until the end of September, my bariatric nurse said i would need about 3 weeks off work, and that sounds about right, my op will be 2 weeks on Monday, and another week would have just seen me right.
xxx

Hi Simplylucy welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your surgery.

I had 4 weeks off work and I have a desk job and boy did I need the full 4 weeks off. I was sore, I couldn't lie down properly for 2 weeks and slept propped up on my mum's sofa. I did have an extra op with my keyhole bypass, they found a small umbilical hernia and fixed that so I had a huge bruise going from my belly button down!

I don't mean to put you off but you should be aware that not everyone recovers quickly.

Okay, my surgery was 7 weeks ago and i go back to work on Monday! I have had quite a bit of tiredness, no disrespect to anyone but i had my surgery open and i think that doesn't speed up anyone's recovery. Maybe if it had been keyhole i'd have been fitter sooner. However in all honesty i think i could have gone back 2 weeks ago, but the gp gave me 4 weeks so i've took them...

My children are 12 & 11 and i was honest from early on. They were worried, but they spoke with a couple of friends who had had the surgery (wannabeslimagain being one of them :) ) and were reassured.... I did send my children to stop with their dad for a week after my op and i'm glad i did as i was knackered, everything was an effort!

I too am like you i get up and get on with it, i don't know how i'd have coped if i'd had to deal with two squabbling pre teens! Your recovery will definitely be helped if you can get a few days to yourself xx

My kids, 12 and 4, knew nothing about the operation. I am always honest with them but I didn't feel it was any of their business. I don't work but I had my op on a Friday and was back to being a SAHM to 3 kids on Monday. I didn't have any issues at all and didn't need much recovery time. One of my kids has special needs and I was back caring for her full time.

I think every person is different. I had sections too and was up running around the morning after so every person heals differently.

Hi Lucy,

Can't believe how quickly the time has flown by! 6 weeks will be here before you know it! Don't worry about your children too much, kids are usually pretty resilient & cope with whatever life throws at them. All I can advise is to focus on all the things you will be able to do with them once the op is done!
I will be back at work 2 weeks after my op too barring any life-threatening complications so I know how you feel...hopefully all will go to plan but even if it doesn't, I am sure you will deal with it all in your stride xxx

Back