• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just an l&d 2017 newbie saying hi...

Hi all I have been lurking here for a while so I thought i'd say hi. I am with l&d and I am on the last day of my 4 week milk diet and have lost 29lb (2st 1lb)!

I have started this journey as I have been overweight for most of my life. Don't get me wrong I have a very happy life however myself and dearest darling husband have been trying for a baby for almost 3 years and it isn't happening so I finally relented and went to the doctors for tests and have been told that I have un-diagnosed infertility. They think this is due to my weight but I have tried every diet in the book so I have been referred for bariatric surgery. I need a BMI of 30 or under to qualify for fertility treatment if my fertility does not improve with weight loss.

I am wondering if those who are on the losers bench could tell me how long it took for them to get to surgery? (impatient I know but my biological clock is ticking!) Also how everyone is coping afterwards and is anyone else hoping for pregnancy?

Even if you are still on your journey to surgery say hi, would be good to get to know some of you :)

Last edited:
my sister just gt excepted for ivf. bmi was 53 now 31. she had sleeve and has taken her 18months to drop the weight. I believe it took her 12months to get surgery xerox good luck

Hi and welcome, I'm also with L and D, well done on the milk diet that's a great result, is that you first, initial milk diet as at L and D we have to do it right at the start of our journey and just before surgery? So the tier 3 assessment last 1 year or 6 months, if your BMI is above 40 (I believe) it's 6 months if it's above 35 with other co-morbidities it's 1 year, I'm assuming this is your initial milk diet, the reasoning behind it is to prove commitment, show you can tolerate a high protein diet and to help you lose 5% of your body weight which you need to do to continue with the journey, you then have to maintain that loss until you Have the surgery, I've just reached the end of my assessment which was 1 year so the next part is unknown to me but I have been told my surgery could be UPTO another year but I know others have been quicker so don't be disheartened by that, I'm looking at a year in my head IF I am accepted, after the first assessment (6months or 1 year) you have to have an an appointment with a hospital doctor who will check you out and ask you if you want to carry on the journey or continue trying to lose weight yourself, he will ask what diets you have tried and how much you have lost on them (I had my appointment a little earlier, before my year was up) you will have an MDT meeting, see the anaesthetist and I believe a psychologist and the surgeon/consultant before being given a decision then you actually go onto the waiting list, with the NHS there a a lot of hoops to jump through but it does give you time to reasearch wls, consider which procedure you would like and learn about living with your surgery, it is a tool to help you and means a complete lifestyle change which lasts forever, I wish you luck in your journey and in finally conceiving, there are lots of really useful diaries on here for you to read and the support and advice is amazing. XxX

Hi Violet!

I feel like we are in a similar place. We have been trying for a baby for a few years with no luck. My husband needs fertility surgery in order to give him a chance to have a baby however they will not give him the surgery until I can prove that I am fertile. They did a blood test on me but that was the only test they would give me until I lose weight! I thought it was incredibly unfair to him that he can't have his surgery because of my weight. I've tried every diet and just can't ever seem to keep weight off. So I'm heading to Brussels to get a mini gastric bypass.

My surgery date is in 2 months and it can't come quickly enough!

Hi I am also under L&D but not on the losers bench just yet! I am waiting for my surgery date should be by the end of August. Amazing results on the milk diet you must be so proud of yourself. My journey has taken 14 months to date but I believe they have recently changed the process to try and speed things up on Tier 3 as this was taking 12 months on average to get through. xx

Hi Violet!

I feel like we are in a similar place. We have been trying for a baby for a few years with no luck. My husband needs fertility surgery in order to give him a chance to have a baby however they will not give him the surgery until I can prove that I am fertile. They did a blood test on me but that was the only test they would give me until I lose weight! I thought it was incredibly unfair to him that he can't have his surgery because of my weight. I've tried every diet and just can't ever seem to keep weight off. So I'm heading to Brussels to get a mini gastric bypass.

My surgery date is in 2 months and it can't come quickly enough!

Hi Barne

Only 2 months! You must be really excited!
I really feel for you and your poor hubby too. The whole fertility thing seems to be really unfair and a bit of a lottery depending where you are as well. My DDH is lucky that his tests came back ok so its just me that I need to fix (also just to throw this out there because I found it quite funny... the doctor told me that if I do get pregnant at my age I will be classed as a geriatric mother! How does that work, I'm 34!! lol)
I hope your surgery goes really well and keep the updates coming. If you ever want to chat you know where I am x

Hello and good luck. I'm under a different hospital and I in total it took me about 18 months but the tier 3 provider changed in that time which was a delay.
I had my 1 year check up a couple of weeks before my first 'surgiversary' and they calculated I'd lost 106.6% of my excess weight so once you've had surgery you could be where you need to be weight wise fairly quickly. Some here have lost quicker and others slower though so it's very much an individual journey :)

Hi and welcome, I'm also with L and D, well done on the milk diet that's a great result, is that you first, initial milk diet as at L and D we have to do it right at the start of our journey and just before surgery? So the tier 3 assessment last 1 year or 6 months, if your BMI is above 40 (I believe) it's 6 months if it's above 35 with other co-morbidities it's 1 year, I'm assuming this is your initial milk diet, the reasoning behind it is to prove commitment, show you can tolerate a high protein diet and to help you lose 5% of your body weight which you need to do to continue with the journey, you then have to maintain that loss until you Have the surgery, I've just reached the end of my assessment which was 1 year so the next part is unknown to me but I have been told my surgery could be UPTO another year but I know others have been quicker so don't be disheartened by that, I'm looking at a year in my head IF I am accepted, after the first assessment (6months or 1 year) you have to have an an appointment with a hospital doctor who will check you out and ask you if you want to carry on the journey or continue trying to lose weight yourself, he will ask what diets you have tried and how much you have lost on them (I had my appointment a little earlier, before my year was up) you will have an MDT meeting, see the anaesthetist and I believe a psychologist and the surgeon/consultant before being given a decision then you actually go onto the waiting list, with the NHS there a a lot of hoops to jump through but it does give you time to reasearch wls, consider which procedure you would like and learn about living with your surgery, it is a tool to help you and means a complete lifestyle change which lasts forever, I wish you luck in your journey and in finally conceiving, there are lots of really useful diaries on here for you to read and the support and advice is amazing. XxX

Hi Bling Babe

Thank you so much for sharing your journey so far, I have been reading posts here for a while and I have found it really helpful and inspiring.
Yes this has been my first milk diet so I am about 4 months in on my next appointment and finding it really hard not to wish the time away!!!
It looks like you have done really well so far and I hope you get your date sooner rather than later. I will keep an eye out for more of your posts :)

my sister just gt excepted for ivf. bmi was 53 now 31. she had sleeve and has taken her 18months to drop the weight. I believe it took her 12months to get surgery xerox good luck

Hi jj87

Your sister must be thrilled that she has come so far (tell her from me that she should be really proud of herself)

Good luck with your journey too :)

Hi I am also under L&D but not on the losers bench just yet! I am waiting for my surgery date should be by the end of August. Amazing results on the milk diet you must be so proud of yourself. My journey has taken 14 months to date but I believe they have recently changed the process to try and speed things up on Tier 3 as this was taking 12 months on average to get through. xx

Hi Jade

Thank you for the info. I am really pleased that you are waiting on a date, your first goal is in sight!!! I am hoping for a VSG too.
It's interesting that they have changed the speed of the tier 3 assessment... it gives me hope :)

Hello and good luck. I'm under a different hospital and I in total it took me about 18 months but the tier 3 provider changed in that time which was a delay.
I had my 1 year check up a couple of weeks before my first 'surgiversary' and they calculated I'd lost 106.6% of my excess weight so once you've had surgery you could be where you need to be weight wise fairly quickly. Some here have lost quicker and others slower though so it's very much an individual journey :)

Wow 106.6% go you, not far to your goal weight now whoop whoop!!

Hi I am l&d too...

BMI over 50 is the 6 month pathway which equates to about a year and a BMI over 40 is a year which runs at about 18months to 2 years. Or BMI over 35 with comorbidities is the same as over 40

They are trying to speed things up once you get to the MDT on tier 4 by offering group sessions vs seeing the dietician, psychologist and nurse separately, this has opened up more appt slots.

My journey so to speak was referral to luton and first seen may 2015. Only saw dietician for a year the moved to tier 4 after one year but my MDT wasn't until Jan 2017! I first saw a medical doctor in October 2016 on tier 4 who basically assessing your fitness for surgery then if he gives you the green light the mdt is next.

I finally saw a surgeon and anaesthetist and the surgeon end of March and I have a date for surgery of 27th June xxx

Hi,
I am too at L&D and just finished with the dieticians awaiting move to Tier 4, so just trying not to put any weight on.

I see you have done well Ian, once I have got my old brain around kgs. How long were you at tier 3?

I see you have done well Ian, once I have got my old brain around kgs. How long were you at tier 3?
I was on it for 6 months as my BMI was over 50 when i weight in at the 1st appointment. Although I have done all required at Tier 3 are just awaiting first appointment in Tier 4. Hopefully it will be soon.
So was 27st when i started at L&D and now 24st 1lb, my next target 23st 7lbs ( approx 150kg)
Regards Ian

I was on it for 6 months as my BMI was over 50 when i weight in at the 1st appointment. Although I have done all required at Tier 3 are just awaiting first appointment in Tier 4. Hopefully it will be soon.
So was 27st when i started at L&D and now 24st 1lb, my next target 23st 7lbs ( approx 150kg)
Regards Ian

Thanks Ian. I think it is 6 months for me too. My BMI is over 50 too.

Hopefully my last tier 3 appointment with Zen on Monday. Managed to keep most of my 2 stone off from the milk diet bar 2 lb which I'm hoping to lose before then. For a month with a hen party, a 30th birthday, a 40th birthday, and a wedding I am surprised that I'm not back up to my starting weight!!

Hope the referral to tier 4 is a quick process.

Hopefully my last tier 3 appointment with Zen on Monday. Managed to keep most of my 2 stone off from the milk diet bar 2 lb which I'm hoping to lose before then. For a month with a hen party, a 30th birthday, a 40th birthday, and a wedding I am surprised that I'm not back up to my starting weight!!

Hope the referral to tier 4 is a quick process.
Well done you, wow what a sociable time you've had, my last tier 3 appointment at L and D was June 15th and I have my MDT on 1st August. I was lucky enough to see the physician towards the end of my tier 3 though which should have been the first tier 4 appointment before my MDT. Good luck it won't be long x

Still waiting for my physician appointment, the suspense is driving me crazy!!!!!

I know I should be patient (and grateful that the NHS are covering me) but my inner control freak is stamping her feet lol

Back