• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

lansoprazole

angelica13

I wanted to ask how long bypassers have had to take lansoprazole?

I am now 2 months post op, and when I went to my drs to pick up new prescriptions after 1 month, they had only prescribed calcium, iron and B12 injection solution. They hadn't been advised of anything else I needed prescribing.

I have just found out from one of the bariatric nurses at Sunderland that I should take lansoprazole and ursodeoxycholic acid for 6 months. It was a mistake that a letter wasn't faxed through to my drs.

I feel loads better off lansoprazole than I did on it, so wondered if 6 months was standard everywhere - different hospitals seem to have different rules.

I am off to the drs tomorrow to sort it out, if I need to take it then obviously I will, but am curious if everyone does take it for that long.

I am taking omeprazole which is the same type of thing as lansoprazole, and have been told by the hospital that I must take it for 6 weeks, and then it will be reviewed at my post op 6 week check up, but I think it varys greatly from hospital to hospital..

I was very ill lansoprazole & omniprizole . Allergic reactions & was hospitalised. They put me on Rinitidine & Sucrafate which I am still on along with my vits & minerals.my doctor said he will review in October. I am nearly 6 months post sleeve op & I was told these were to protect me from acid, acid reflux & ulcers.

Thats what they told me the omeprazole was for also bellydancer. To stop the stomach producing too much acid hence causing ulcers or reflux.

Thank you for your replies. I haven't had any acid reflux issues, but don't want to risk ulcers! I will have a chat with the dr tomorrow and see what they say.
Thanks again.
Emma x

I too had a reaction and stopped after a couple of days,not had any problems.

I had my bypass nearly 2 weeks ago at SRH and they gave me Lansoprazole and Urso-Deoxycholic Acid (to stop you getting Gall stones) and told me I would need to take them for at least 6 months. Hope this helps x

That is so strange as I was only given lansoprazole to take for 10 days and told that after that it wasnt needed...:confused:

certain things should not come down to personal preference though, its either medically indicated to take it or its not... makes me worried that im putting myself at risk for ulcers and kidney stones by not taking anything.

My lansoprazole was stopped after my check up which i was 9months post and the ursodoycelic acid stops at 6 months. xx

I have been changed now from omeprazole to the fast tabs (lansoprazole), and they seem to be much better, also they are a chewable tablet so less pills to swallow now..

I am over a year now and i take 1 iron tablet, 1 multi vitamin, adcal tablets supposed to have 2 aday but have only ever had 1, bloods are fine, injetion B12 every 3 mo nths. Thats it xx

I wanted to ask how long bypassers have had to take lansoprazole?

I am now 2 months post op, and when I went to my drs to pick up new prescriptions after 1 month, they had only prescribed calcium, iron and B12 injection solution. They hadn't been advised of anything else I needed prescribing.

I have just found out from one of the bariatric nurses at Sunderland that I should take lansoprazole and ursodeoxycholic acid for 6 months. It was a mistake that a letter wasn't faxed through to my drs.

I feel loads better off lansoprazole than I did on it, so wondered if 6 months was standard everywhere - different hospitals seem to have different rules.

I am off to the drs tomorrow to sort it out, if I need to take it then obviously I will, but am curious if everyone does take it for that long.

I was sleeved at SRH 10 weeks ago and was told the same as you - both pills for 6 months.
I wanted to ask you though, how do you feel better off Lansoprazole? What did they make you feel like?
I ask because I get a sort of empty/hungry feeling sometimes, and I know I'm not hungry. I wondered if it could be my medication causing the feeling... maybe a little wind?? Thanks and good luck.

I thought 3 monthly b12 injections were standard for bypassers!! It must vary from county to county perhaps...

I was sleeved at SRH 10 weeks ago and was told the same as you - both pills for 6 months.
I wanted to ask you though, how do you feel better off Lansoprazole? What did they make you feel like?
I ask because I get a sort of empty/hungry feeling sometimes, and I know I'm not hungry. I wondered if it could be my medication causing the feeling... maybe a little wind?? Thanks and good luck.

It wasn't anything major - just a bit queasy after I take them on a morning, and they make me really tired.
I am back on them now, there had been a mix up between Sunderland and my drs. I do have to take them for 6 months. Hoping to come off them just before Christmas.
x

Lucky you! Mine bloody hurt! :boohoo:

Lansoprazole for 2 weeks only but if I take ibuprofen or voltarol I take an omeprazole just before. I have Forceval 1 daily, Adcal D3 x 3 day Thiamine x 1 a day, recently Ferrous sulphate x 2 day. Never needed B12, have my bloods done every 3 months. Low Iron too but not anaemic. I used to take 2 x zinc too but it upset my copper so no longer take it. I am 10 months out bypass.

Back