• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Last attempt for some help/advice... PLEASE

Hi Jakki - Sorry to hear your having a rough time and stagnating!
I feel I`m doing the same at the moment; obviously different to you as yours is a bypass and mine a band.
I`m hoping for some improvement tomorrow when I see my dietician and have a band fill.

I hope you can work out your eating regime to get your weight loss on the move again hun x

I have been using a website that Dotty told me about called
myfitnesspal.com; I only use it to log in what I eat each meal and to satisfy myself that I`m having the right amount of calories, fats, carbs & protein.
It also lets you put in what excercise you do and calculates its calorific value, which is really good.
It really is a useful tool to help you regain control of your food amounts each day.
I know it seems like even though we have had these ops, we all seem so food focused still.......but then again I think once we have found what works for us personally we should`nt need to rely on everything written down.

Don`t be despondent hun x you will work out what works for you, to get your body on the move with your weight loss!

Love Kat x

Hi honey,

Sorry it is so tough for you.

I am sorry, I didn't have time to read all 3 pages of answers, but from the first look I think you are having a bit too much...

I would ditch the banana, protein shake and nuts.
What soup are you having?Some of them are quite high-fat.

Try for a week having mostly proteins.
Like breakfast - boiled egg.
Lunch - large salad made of leafs (like french, italian, etc.), chicken breast, drained tuna or feta cheese, cucumber (no tomatoes for a week). Instead low fat dressing have a bit of lemon juice mixed with low fat greek youghurt on top, approx 1 table spoon.
Dinner - Grilled lean fish, like cod or chicken breast with broccoli and cauliflower (don't have carrots or potatoes, no carbs).

Drinks - 1 small skimmed latte a day, any amount of tea/coffee (instead sugar use sweetener), water. NAS sdquash.

Snacks - sugarfree jelly, 2 slices of ham per day.

And get yourself on calorie counting! It is soooo easy to have unwanted calories. Aim to have between 700 to 1000 a day.

Hope this helps!

You have every right to be frustrated I would be too. Its not been an easy journey for you so far and i don't think anyone would "shout you down" for being human. I too drink quite a bit of milky coffee so can't say much to you there but what I have always found helps me is to eat often as it seems to keep my body on an even keel not to mention topped up. Glad you are going to see your team soon hun, I remember Roch had similar problems and had a long stall very early on it might be worth talking to her hun. I'm sorry i'm not much help really but i don't think you are going too wrong and i really hope things get moving again soon. Big hugs xxx

Hey JMO,

I'm also no expert but I believe sugar or fats can cause dumping, different strokes for different folkes and all that.

Anyways, I agree with lotsabeefy generally, too much milk. I've never used the protien shakes although some swear by them, I'd give them a miss for a while.

My guidance says 3 small MEALS a day, I'd suggest meat or fish, high protein, low (or minimum carbs) at lunch and at dinner. If u find chicken hard to tolerate try fish, salmon, cod, tuna even. You can get low fat boil in the bag fish which is quiet tasty.

I sometimes have the WW dinners also, although I cant eat a whole one it just give the opportunity to have new tastes.

You seem to be drinking plenty, with NAS squash. Try having half that and the rest water, chill it so it's icy easier to go down, but I believe water really promotes the body to work correctly.

I think you are perhaps not eating enough of the right things, and it is hard if your food tolerance is low.

Your weight loss will kick in hun, just dont give up, I so understand how this must leave u feeling, I'd be at my wits end and gutted. For what it's worth I'm in your corner (((hugz)))

I dont dump often but when i do it's usually down to fat intake rather than sugar! When i was at your stage i'd just gone onto soft food and couldnt tolerate things like fish and chicken but now i can tolerate everything! Personaly i think your excercising too much for the amount of calories you can take in at this stage therefore you may have gone into starvation mode, through experience of this site it sometimes helps to shock our body's to get out of a stall and change things, so why not try having a rest and not excercising for a couple of weeks and see if things change. I'm sure whatever you decide to do the weight will start coming off again and your be in your bikini by the summer! xxx

Hey J-Mo,

Know exactly how you feel hon, as my weight loss appears to have slowed down in the last few weeks too.
Firstly, I know you have been having a lot of problems with tolerating different foods recently, so on that basis, I totally understand why things are a bit up & down at the moment. Don’t despair, despite it being a long blip, I am sure a blip it is!
I know you have found it hard to eat typical protein sources like fish & meat, so although you have milk in your diet at the moment...I’m going to totally go against what everyone else has said & say milk is protein so in your position, it is better to get some protein in that none. Do you use skimmed milk, or if you don’t, would you consider swapping over to skimmed milk...big calorie difference over the day possibly? Also, are you using decaf rather than caffeinated coffee, if not, I would definitely suggest that....caffeine can personally make me feel really ill now. As for the protein shakes, well, same as the milk really, although I would say, as long as you are getting in your estimated 70g/day of protein in, you could ease back on them now you are slowly managing to re-introduce food sources.
You can dump if foods are too fatty...it is NOT just restricted to high sugar foods....you can also dump if you eat/drink too fast, irrelevant of what it is! So, if you find that fatty foods make you ill...avoid them! You can always take an omega-3 supplement for a while, if you can’t tolerate food sources of unsaturated fatty acids, until you can slowly get them back into your diet.
I am sure I read somewhere that you shouldn’t do the 5 day pouch test before 6 months post-op, so I would say totally forget that idea...not appropriate at the moment.
Also, despite reading what your average day food wise is, I would suggest keep a food diary, go back to calorie counting for a couple of weeks, just to see exactly where your calories are coming from. It could be particular brands of soup etc may tot up your calories more than you realise? Of course, on the other hand, you may not be getting in enough calories, so you poor horrified body is in total shock & is holding onto everything it’s got for dear life!!!!!
Finally, despite all this advice, do have a good chat with your dietician...hopefully she/he isn’t as useless as mine & will be able to offer you some words of wisdom in a ‘professional’ capacity. Try not to be too disheartened (although I know it’s hard)...when you look basically at calorie intake vs expenditure, the weight simply has to start coming off eventually...personally I think you are in the stall from hell! xxxxx

hi Jo
Just wanted to say good luck and that I hope things get moving again soon for you. Im a bander so cant really help but I would write down all of your intake to show to your surgeon. The team should be able to help if things havent moved by then but I really hope you have a loss soon
Best wishes
Jo XX
Ju

Good luck chick. Sounds like you got your head screwed on and your food isnt bad, so it will just be time and perseverance - You'll be posting in a week that you lost 10 stone in a day (Peter Kay style lol) Fingers crossed and good luck chick x

Ha, ha!! I wish ;)

Hey J-Mo,

Know exactly how you feel hon, as my weight loss appears to have slowed down in the last few weeks too.
Firstly, I know you have been having a lot of problems with tolerating different foods recently, so on that basis, I totally understand why things are a bit up & down at the moment. Don’t despair, despite it being a long blip, I am sure a blip it is!
I know you have found it hard to eat typical protein sources like fish & meat, so although you have milk in your diet at the moment...I’m going to totally go against what everyone else has said & say milk is protein so in your position, it is better to get some protein in that none. Do you use skimmed milk, or if you don’t, would you consider swapping over to skimmed milk...big calorie difference over the day possibly? Also, are you using decaf rather than caffeinated coffee, if not, I would definitely suggest that....caffeine can personally make me feel really ill now. As for the protein shakes, well, same as the milk really, although I would say, as long as you are getting in your estimated 70g/day of protein in, you could ease back on them now you are slowly managing to re-introduce food sources.
You can dump if foods are too fatty...it is NOT just restricted to high sugar foods....you can also dump if you eat/drink too fast, irrelevant of what it is! So, if you find that fatty foods make you ill...avoid them! You can always take an omega-3 supplement for a while, if you can’t tolerate food sources of unsaturated fatty acids, until you can slowly get them back into your diet.
I am sure I read somewhere that you shouldn’t do the 5 day pouch test before 6 months post-op, so I would say totally forget that idea...not appropriate at the moment.
Also, despite reading what your average day food wise is, I would suggest keep a food diary, go back to calorie counting for a couple of weeks, just to see exactly where your calories are coming from. It could be particular brands of soup etc may tot up your calories more than you realise? Of course, on the other hand, you may not be getting in enough calories, so you poor horrified body is in total shock & is holding onto everything it’s got for dear life!!!!!
Finally, despite all this advice, do have a good chat with your dietician...hopefully she/he isn’t as useless as mine & will be able to offer you some words of wisdom in a ‘professional’ capacity. Try not to be too disheartened (although I know it’s hard)...when you look basically at calorie intake vs expenditure, the weight simply has to start coming off eventually...personally I think you are in the stall from hell! xxxxx

Thanks Angie, I feel such a failure at the moment & it doesn't help that people keep mentioning my lack of weight loss at work :mad:

I'm going to keep track on my calorie intake on one of the sites mentioned.

That is emotional pressure you can really do without isn't it, I really do sympathise with you hon. That was one of my fears, so even now, no-one at work knows I've had it done. You are not a failure, I think the problem is we see how well others are doing & without begrudging them their success, it really can be demotivating if one isn't losing as fast or seems to have ground to a halt for a while. It is no consolation, but someone else mentioned it, keep plodding along & you will start losing again. I say to myself it took my 25 years to get this fat, I know it ain't going to drop off overnight....but it still p*sses me off when I have a cr*p weigh-in....I got my guts rearranged for a measly pound off, lol!!!!!! What can you do hon? Just keep going xxx

I've just done my food intake online & here's what it says.

Calories = 976
Carbs = 78
Fat = 29
Protein = 87

Bloomin heck, my carbs & fat seem very high!! Does anyone know what I should be aiming for daily?

Only just seen this thread my lovely.
Sorry you are struggling but try not to get too obsessed with amounts of this and that.
Just aim to eat protein first at every meal and cut back the carbs a bit....don't cut them out, just eat them last after your protein and veggies and make sure they are good carbs.
You are not doing anything wrong as far as I can see. Very frustrating isn't it especially when you feel under pressure from other people to be losing a stone a week! Lol
Keep your chin up babe xx

Only just seen this thread my lovely.
Sorry you are struggling but try not to get too obsessed with amounts of this and that.
Just aim to eat protein first at every meal and cut back the carbs a bit....don't cut them out, just eat them last after your protein and veggies and make sure they are good carbs.
You are not doing anything wrong as far as I can see. Very frustrating isn't it especially when you feel under pressure from other people to be losing a stone a week! Lol
Keep your chin up babe xx

Thanks. If my manager says to me "Oh, u not doing very well with your weight are you?" once more I swear he'll be going home minus a few organs ;)

hiya hun ive not read through this post fully but i just read the first few posts and id say its the milky coffees, why dont you try cutting them down only having 2 a day and use skimmed milk instead of semi skimmed! worth a try isnt it hun it may be just that what you need to tweek to get you moving again, hope you sort it soon hun, or if not have a word with your dietician xxx

MyFitnesspal suggests I should be having 40 g of fat, and 165 of carbs daily. But it only suggests 45g of protein and I know we need more than that.
It also says we should be having a minimum of 1200 calories a day.
I think when we look at these figures, us bypassers often forget that even though we may be hitting these figures for our intake, our intestines are only absorbing a cetain amount of this.

We could be losing as much as 1/3 of the nutrients if my understanding of the bypass procedure is correct. Please someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So Jacci, if your calorie intake for today is 976, you may only be absorbing around 650 calories!

Then taking into account the amount of exercise you'e doing, + working too, + housework etc...
I suspect your body is basically in starvation mode.
Mine too.
I think we have to try to eat more honey......(no, don't eat honey, it'll make you dump!) :D.......and I think maybe eating every couple of hours might be the answer.
I really like the idea of tying the quorn too.
I'm going to try this this week to see if it helps. I'm not in a stall, but my last 3 weeks have been a 1 pound loss....and like Angie says, I didn't have my guts re-plumbed for 1 pound a week losses!
Love Grace xxx

Sounds like you might have just cracked it there grace, good luck girls xxx

Thinking of you Jacci xxx

Just sending a humungous :grouphugg:Jacci and I was awake in the night still thinking about you and I'm so pleased to read what Grace has written this morning, since that makes such a lot of sense to me.

I wonder if this could be the key?

Keep us in touch love and lean on us all if we can do anything at all to help you along on a daily basis... it's been a heck of a few months for you and we have to really stick together and do all that we can to help each other over our hurdles...

So I'll be reading this thread continually, so that I can keep up with how you are doing and no one said it would be easy... but it's a lot easier if we are all 'shoulder to shoulder' through the difficult times.... keep going Jacci....

Love and hugs precious as always xxx

MyFitnesspal suggests I should be having 40 g of fat, and 165 of carbs daily. But it only suggests 45g of protein and I know we need more than that.
It also says we should be having a minimum of 1200 calories a day.
I think when we look at these figures, us bypassers often forget that even though we may be hitting these figures for our intake, our intestines are only absorbing a cetain amount of this.

We could be losing as much as 1/3 of the nutrients if my understanding of the bypass procedure is correct. Please someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So Jacci, if your calorie intake for today is 976, you may only be absorbing around 650 calories!

Then taking into account the amount of exercise you'e doing, + working too, + housework etc...
I suspect your body is basically in starvation mode.
Mine too.
I think we have to try to eat more honey......(no, don't eat honey, it'll make you dump!) :D.......and I think maybe eating every couple of hours might be the answer.
I really like the idea of tying the quorn too.
I'm going to try this this week to see if it helps. I'm not in a stall, but my last 3 weeks have been a 1 pound loss....and like Angie says, I didn't have my guts re-plumbed for 1 pound a week losses!
Love Grace xxx

I really feel for you Grace cos its so demoralising isn't it?!

My calories are horrendous for today so I'm off to make summit with Quorn. So far I've had the following:-
Calories = 321
Carbs = 11
Fat = 16
Protein = 26 :confused:

I've had my B12 injection today

Just sending a humungous :grouphugg:Jacci and I was awake in the night still thinking about you and I'm so pleased to read what Grace has written this morning, since that makes such a lot of sense to me.

I wonder if this could be the key?

Keep us in touch love and lean on us all if we can do anything at all to help you along on a daily basis... it's been a heck of a few months for you and we have to really stick together and do all that we can to help each other over our hurdles...

So I'll be reading this thread continually, so that I can keep up with how you are doing and no one said it would be easy... but it's a lot easier if we are all 'shoulder to shoulder' through the difficult times.... keep going Jacci....

Love and hugs precious as always xxx

Thanks Bev & hope your feeling better today :)

Is Quorn nice? I tried it once years ago and it was MINGIN!! but was wondering if its improved since then.....I was thinking of using the quorn mince to make spag bol :D X

Back