• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Let's get realistic about what a stall is

Neen

WLS Moderator
I was reading my Atkins book, but I think this particular snippet is valid for whatever eating plan after whatever op (or conventional weight loss method) you are doing.

It basically said , a plateau /stall is doing everything right for about 4 weeks minimum and not seeing a reflection on the scales at all for all your efforts!!

Not "only a pound off", or "staying the same" for a couple weeks!!

We are soooo fixated about losing masses each week....no-one can do that and sustain it for too long..particularly not a bander , especially not without decent restriction.

I think we are in danger of being permanently miserable and disappointed if we rely on the scales for every sign of improvement and progress.

Daily weight in anyone can fluctuate on average between 2 and 4lbs difference.,... weighing is one of the least reliable ways to chart how well we are doing and yet we get so obsessed about it!!

How many of us actually measure regularly?
Wouldn't it be interesting to see how much happier most of us would be with our progress if we measured every couple weeks rather than jumped on the scales...(usually far too often)

Try not to be so hard on yourselves, half a pound, only a pound....that's good!!!
But next time you weigh also try on something that has previously been tight...you could likely find it fits better..and how you feel in yourself...are your energy levels going up? Skin looking better?

Don't ever dismiss your great progress , how ever slow you feel it may be !

Great post Neen. Just started reading the book:D.

I am now officially six months post op so Mr TB is going to help me do my measurements and take my pics tomorrow. These things for me are better than the scales. I admit yesterday I felt very down when the hospital told me how little I had lost in 9 weeks - but I did not gain and I still feel a whole lot better and can do so much more than I could six months ago. It also made me realise it will take some time to get rid of my excess but given it took me 20 years to put it on - what is 2 or 3 years to get healthy again.

tranquil x

Great post Neen,

I consider myself the queen of atkins as ive done it sooooo many times and always had great results. Im starting on it next week myself as i know carbs are the cause of my weight gain.

This is why i only weight in once per week and measure myself each month to really monitor my progress.

I know how devastating daily weighing can be and with us all having weight problems, a slight movement down on the scales can have us jumping for joy but a movement up can see us running to the fridge or cake shop!

Stalls are very fustrating when you know you are being 'an angel', but ive always found that after a few weeks, the scales may only down a teeny weeny bit but you suddenly find youself in a size smaller or more.

Back