• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Let's rock & rolllll!

BeckiP

'Tomorrow!' I keep shouting in my head. Tomorrow is the day when I start my pre diet to loose 9lbs before I get given a green light for bypass surgery.

Is it this hard for everyone to really kick start their change? I thought I'd be excited and totally up for it but my weight loss past is putting a dampener on my new start.

I'm 24 and have been overweight from the age of 6 when I turned to food to cope with the loss of my father. But there is only so long you can be a victim to circumstance - and I am ready to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with my life like I am sure he would want me to.

My mum has recently gone through bypass surgery - and she is looking and feeling amazing. At the beginning I was so against her getting it done and I made it really hard for her to make the big decision. Looking back, it was due to the fact I didn't want things to change and a good dose of jealousy. My mum and I have always been close... and so long as my mum was over weight, I could be too. Of course I now regret making it all so difficult for her - but I didn't take the time to understand my justification.

So... Back to tomorrow! This evening I'm making myself some awesome slimming world chilli (Yum!) to help me through the week at work. I know I can loose the weight - I have lost many a stone before but my problem is maintaining the weight loss.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday evening!

you will do just fine just stick to the goal you have set for yourself and all will be good

Hiya Sweet

I'm 24 too and awaiting bypass surgery :) I wanna wish you all the luck in the world with your pre-op diet and beyond! 9lb on a liquid diet will be easy (she says!) You'll do great I'm sure.

My Mum is also big but hasn't opted for surgery and is kinda against me having it. I think my choice will help her in the end and make her decision easier as I do believe it's something she needs to do.

I'll be keeping watch on your journey if that's ok? :D

Flick x

Thanks Los!

Hi Flick - Great to hear from someone in a similar situation to me... It's hard to figure out whos doing what and how far/how old/etcetc on here! I'm fairly sure that once your mum sees the positive effects of the surgery she may reconsider. I had to have long chats with my mum about it and I just went round in circles. It was hard to accept the change... Because who likes change right?!

How far are you through the process? At North Tees hosp you don't have to do the liquid diet (lucky me!) I don't really get how everyone can have such different processes! Lets keep an eye out for each others journey so we can celebrate together!

Oh I'm hoping so. My health is otherwise pretty good. My Mum is struggling ALOT, on the other hand. She believes she can do it herself but with most of her adult life being overweight and seeing no major changes I duno how that's guna happen? She needs a kick up the ass and I think me going ahead with the op will give her the confidence she needs!

I'm still waiting for my date for surgery. I'll need to go in for a pre op assessment and then I can start the milk diet which lasts 2 weeks. I had a phone call from the hospital on Wednesday to say that the waiting time is quite short and I'm probably looking at mid-November for my op. Not knowing is killing me, I have bought the milk just incase and have also stocked the cupboards with oxo cubes and WW jelly in the hopes I can start soon!

This is what I have to have everyday (without fail) for 2 weeks prior to the op:

4 pints of semi-skimmed milk
2 pints 'other fluid' (water, sugar free fizzy, milky tea/coffee with no sugar)
1 salty drink (hence oxo cubes)
Multi-vitamin & Multi-mineral

I'm also allowed:
1 sachet of sugar free jelly
3 sticks of sugar free chewing gum

No food!

I'm actually looking forward to it and wanna start now lol You're lucky not having to do one! Perhaps your BMI isn't in an overly dangerous zone like mine is? I don't know? Will definitely be keeping check. You're first hehe! x :p

You can only lead by example! Mum was brave enough to open the doors... Which makes everything a lot less scary for me, thats for sure.

What hospital are you with? The liquid diet sounds super difficult.. But I'm excited that you are looking forward to it! Only good things can come from it so good luck! But I suppose 'no food' means no food... so at least there is no way you of misinterpreting that!

I don't know that anyone at North Tees needs to do a liquid diet? I know we have to do the liver diet so that it's less dangerous for the surgeon to operate? That diet is pretty hard core... But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

I'm not sure I will be first! The list at the hosp is really long and extended by staff holidays :( ... Itll be after the new year they reckon!

Oh I thought you were on the liver shrinking diet? That's what that ^^^ is above!

I'm with Queen Alexander (QA) Hospital in Portsmouth. The paperwork given to me is for all bariatric patients undergoing any kind of weight loss surgery. Makes sense, it'll do the trick, although after a few days of milk, milk and more milk I'm not sure I'm guna be as excited anymore lol The no food bit doesn't bother me at the moment, but I'm sure when I'm stood in the kitchen cooking up delicious meal for my son and husband; I'll soon change my mind!

I'm wondering what kind of help you get when it comes to dealing with the restricted foods thing. I'm guna miss dunking cadbury chocolate into a boiling hot cuppa tea and sucking all the melted chocolate off! haha! :( And alcohol, I don't drink very often but I have to admit I do like getting abit drunk every now and again. Guna miss that too!
My eating structure at the moment is really bad. I seldom eat before 3pm and maybe have a drink if I can be bothered.. then have a big dinner and graze until bed :( Eating 3 meals a day, plus constant sipping drinks and snacking is going to be hard work!

After the new year!? That's a pain in the ass :( But! You are on your way! Drop bread, pasta, rice and potatoes for a couple of weeks and eat loads more fish & chicken and that should help you out! :)
Why do you have to do a pre-pre-op diet? If you don't mind me asking, what are you statistics? If you don't wanna say that's fine. I respect that :) Mine is on show over there <<< lol x

Ahh right - I thought I was in the wrong place then ;o) Either way... The diet I am doing at the moment is to remove a percentage of my weight to prove I'm serious about having the op done. From my first appointment (Which I had a couple of weeks ago) to the next one should be around 3 months. So I've got 3 months to loose 9lbs which is when I'll get my date(!!)... THEN I get put on the liver diet for two weeks prior to my op but that is more to shrink my liver than to loose weight. So I don't know if this is a pre-op diet or a pre pre-op diet! lol. I guess each provider to their own.

Breaking bad eating habits is hard... The first three days is always the worst! I am soooo miserable that I have to lock myself away in my room - but after that initial period I'm fine! Nooo chocolate biscuit-nesss! I don't drink a lot but I will miss being able to celebrate with a glass of fizz!

I'm not protective of my stats - my current weight is 255lbs and I'm 5ft 7. If I'm honest I haven't figured out how to put all of that information up yet. I think I need to post more to get my posts up to 50?

But dropping the carb is definitely the way forward for me - hence the chilli (and salad) this week!

'Tomorrow!' I keep shouting in my head. Tomorrow is the day when I start my pre diet to loose 9lbs before I get given a green light for bypass surgery. Is it this hard for everyone to really kick start their change? I thought I'd be excited and totally up for it but my weight loss past is putting a dampener on my new start. I'm 24 and have been overweight from the age of 6 when I turned to food to cope with the loss of my father. But there is only so long you can be a victim to circumstance - and I am ready to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with my life like I am sure he would want me to. My mum has recently gone through bypass surgery - and she is looking and feeling amazing. At the beginning I was so against her getting it done and I made it really hard for her to make the big decision. Looking back, it was due to the fact I didn't want things to change and a good dose of jealousy. My mum and I have always been close... and so long as my mum was over weight, I could be too. Of course I now regret making it all so difficult for her - but I didn't take the time to understand my justification. So... Back to tomorrow! This evening I'm making myself some awesome slimming world chilli (Yum!) to help me through the week at work. I know I can loose the weight - I have lost many a stone before but my problem is maintaining the weight loss. Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday evening!

How lovely and honest you are being with yourself. That is exactly what you need to get yourself through what you need to do what you need to. I am sure you will be successful. The best of luck to you x

Thanks Jane - It's a lot easier to write this stuff than it is to talk about it so I'm glad I found you all!

Bloody hell - Having to do a diet to prove you're serious!? If the hospital asked me to do that I'd break down in tears there and then. I was told a year or so ago to lose 10% of my overall weight in order for me to be considered for fertility treatment. I tried my damnedest and couldn't drop less than 2lb. It left me and my OH heartbroken :( I have PCOS too which doesn't help in the slightest.

I think yours is a pre pre op diet lol I'm sure you'll do fine :) 3 months is a long time to get rid of that weight though. Isn't the hardest thing going to be keeping it off? Dropping carbs is easy-ish it just leaves you more hungry.

I shared 4 bottles of wine with my friends last night. (Only like 8% nothing heavy) lol Last time drinking for a loooooooong while now!

Slimfast for brekkie, soup for lunch... I'm guna try and do that for a couple of weeks before my 'proper' liquid diet... *sigh*

How are you getting on? Today is 'Tomorrow'!!! :D

Good luck with pre pre op it works out at 3lb/ month...u can do that. Xxxx

Flick - It's not so bad.. My problem is all in the maintenance not necessarily the loosing. Thats very sad about the fertility treatment and I bet PCOS didn't help. Have you had any luck so far? I'm not too clued in about babies but that must have been hard. Multiple bottles of wine?! I haven't done that since I was a teenager... Along with multiple pints of cider! Ha. My very own teenage coping strategy ;o) Ugh. How is your kind-of-pretty-much liquid diet going?

My 'tomorrow' went really well! It's not as hard to drop the carb at work as we are super busy at the moment. I'm working in the centre of Newcastle and have a cheeky little health shop that do take away meals (+soups and sandwiches... No oil/fat/bad stuff) So I'm pretty lucky really! Getting home is hard as from eating at 1ish I don't get home from work until 7. I automatically want to stuff something into my mouth to get rid of that hunger feeling.

I'm eating a tonne more fruit and veg plus a lot more water. So far... So good!

Hope everyone is having a lovely, positive day!

The diet is going well actually, I dont have alot of energy though which I think is going to be the hardest part of the actual liquid diet. I dont know if its possible to decrease the size of your stomach so fast!? I have stuck to my 2 liquid, 1 normal meal plan and found last night I couldn't even manage my whole dinner. Not really had any hunger pains during the day either. Will have to look into that I think. Its a good thing though!

Yeah, the baby thing is a huge motivation technique; knowing the likelihood of me conceiving naturally now is almost impossible; I can work hard and focus on not just being healthy but bringing back my fertility! Have you thought about babies yet? My son was a accident lol a little too much fun at a festival :p hehe But he is my life now! <3

Im glad your 'tomorrow' went well :) Keep us updated! Aw thats good about the health food shop but that much cost a fortune? I suppose you have peace of mind knowing you're doing the right thing :) I totally agree with you with the maintaining bit. Its guna be bloody hard work but sooo worth it! :D Is it more difficult trying to do it whilst working for you? I haven't gone back to work since leaving for maternity leave but I found dieting easier whilst at work. I actually lost fat weight during pregnancy! It was awesome lol xXx

Hiya!!

Was just reading through the thread and thought I'd say Hi :)

I'm 25, had my sleeve done in May this year and am 10lbs away from my target :)

I was the same as you BeckiP, I could loose the weight, I just couldn't maintain! My Dad was always big, so I thought it was fine me being big too. He had 8 hours worth of cosmetic surgery to get him looking great and that is when I felt (and I hate to say it) jealous. I realised I didn't want to be the 'fatty' of the family anymore.

Good luck with your diet, you sound very determined, so I am sure you will succeed :)

Katy x

Hi I'll jump on this ban wagon to as I'm 25! Lol

Im still deciding about surgery I have funding and a date to meet surgeon and get a date ect. And i have a pre op date. I've lost 71lbs this year. I had to lose 10% to start with to show I was serious about surgery and I've just kept going lol anyway hello ?

I think I would find a liquid diet particularly hard – Have you ever done the Cambridge diet? Man… That is hard and horrific! I’m glad your feeling alright with it dude, so long as your not starving yourself? It sounds as though this surgery is opening a lot of doors for you, how bloody exciting!
The health food shop is actually pretty reasonable - £2.40 for a soup and a wholemeal roll! I’m finding it surprisingly easier at work which I didn’t think would be the case. But as soon as I leave work I want to eat everything in the world. How did you loose fat during pregnancy?! Ps, laughing at your ‘festival’ baby… I haven’t thought about kids yet but I do definitely want them.

Hi SleeveGirl! Great to hear from a youngen’ from the other side! That is an amazing achievement… I can’t imagine being on the other side of this process. I think that the jealousy thing is so hard to admit but once you do it makes it a little bit easier. It also (obviously in your case) makes you realise that being overweight isn’t good for you! How have you found life after surgery?

Hi Lozer! You lost 71lbs? That’s insanely good! Well done you. Have you ever thought about going the whole way without surgery? I’m at a stage where I have accepted that I am always going to struggle with my weight – whether its now or 30 years down the line.

Ps - This is nice! It's nice to chat, please do keep in touch x

Hi guys im the wrong side of 25 im 26 but thought i would say hi too guess its only a couple of years isnt it??
Hope your diet goes well becki i think you will do just fine motivation for knowing they have to see your serious is good!
I'm nearly 3 weeks post op now and loving it x x

Hi beckip

Yeh that's my dilemma now do I have surgery or do I cary on with the diet and hope to lose another 70lbs this coming year. I've lost all my support my husband despretly wont's another baby (he's 11years older then me) if I have surgery he will b nearly 40 before we can really try for another one. He thinks that's to old. My mum and friends have said I'm doing well I don't need to have surgery ect. In past diets I've not really tried and only lost a st and then given up but I feel totally different this time so I'm so confused :(

Back