• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Letter to my Mom

JayHobbs

Slowly Shrinking
Thought I would share a letter I wrote to my Mom who lives over 100 miles away. It is personal but it reflects my journey and feelings and I wanted to share it with others who are due or had the Bypass Operation.

Hi mom, 13th April 2011

Well Its been 13 days since my operation and I wanted to give you an update.
I am doing so well. I can only put it down to my genes that I am good under aesthetic and am a good healer after surgery. Oh and all the thoughts and prayers of my loved ones must have helped!

The procedure went well, although when the surgeon opened me up, she discovered that my liver was not in a great shape, I have NASH which is "Non-Alcoholic-Steato-Hepatitis" This may be caused by all those years of eating a poor fatty diet and all the medication I have been on for diabetes and arthritis pain in my back and joints. She assured me that my liver would improve with weight loss.

I was in a fair bit of pain when I came back from theatre and had drips in both hands, Oxygen mask and a catheter. I was on self administering Morphine drip and I certainly took advantage of it that first night. I couldn't move or even cough without discomfort. They had cut me open from between my breasts right down to my belly button. I have a fabby scar... lol

The following morning (Saturday) the nurses helped me get out of bed and I had to walk down to the shower and have a shower, OUCH was painful. Then I had to sit in the chair by me bed for at least 2 hours to clear my lungs and chest.

Sunday morning at 6am the nurse removed my catheter and told me that as soon as I had passed urine independently and could get dressed I could go home. Well by 7am I had got up, gone to toilet, passed urine, had a wash and got dressed! I was really eager to get home, It was quite noisy on the ward with 5 others, The nurses were checking my blood sugars and catheter every hour and I was getting NO sleep!

I had to see the main head nurse for a check up, have all my drip lines removed and I was discharged at 10am! The journey home in the car was quite uncomfortable. Thankfully Nige had brought a pillow that I held over my tummy when we hit any bumps in the road and this helped.

I had to sleep on the recliner chair in lounge for a week as I could not lie on my tummy or sides as it was far too uncomfortable. I took my soluble paracetomol for the first 2 days then only at night for another 2-3 nights. I still have to inject myself every day with anti-clotting stuff. (Clexane) Not too bad – easier than I imagined it would be. It is only for the first 30 days after operation so I am half way there.

My medication for diabetes has dropped by 3rd and hopefully I will soon be able to stop it altogether! I will then go from over 20 tablets a day to just 2 a day (vitamins and calcium).

Went out for a gentle stroll this Sunday and have been out every night since, walking the dogs around the field. Using my pedometer I am walking half a mile every night and I aim to increase it every week.

Great news is, when I was first referred for surgery I weighed 19st 12Llbs (wow almost 20 stones)

after my pre-op diet I was 18st 10Llbs (my weight on operation day) I lost 1st 2Llbs on pre-op diet.

Today I weighed myself and I am now 17st 9Llbs

I have lost 1st 1Llbs since the operation! (in 13 days) I cannot remember the last time I was in the 17stone bracket, It was defiantly BEFORE I got married in 1998! You may not recognize me when you see me again!

I am still on mainly fluids for another 2 weeks with 1x small pureed meal a day. Like baby food, Then I can go onto soft foods for another 2-3 weeks before I move on to normal 'small' chopped small and well chewed food. I have to drink a protein drink every day until I am on normal solids again.

I am NOT physically hungry. My mind does play tricks on me, I fancy something, but know I can't have it and that I am NOT hungry. Its psychological. All those ads on telly for food and takeaways. Argggg,,

The thing is, when I do eat/drink, I feel bloated after half a mug or 3-4 teaspoons of pureed stuff.

This operation is amazing and I aim to start a new life, filled with all the things I could never do before. How I wish they had been able to do this operation years ago!

Right I am off now to walk the dogs.. without the back pain!

WOW it feels great Mom, The dogs can’t understand why their mommy is now walking with them every day without stopping every 200 yards to rest back and get her breath back.

Hope to see you soon.

Love & Hugz
Your shrinking daughter!
Jay

xXx

Thanks for sharing Jay and Im sure your mum is very proud of what you have achieved already! x

Dunno why Jay but this has pressed my 'weep' button and I can't stop crying. It's a very touching letter and so full of hope. Think its because I wish I could write one like it to my mum but she died a few years ago. I'm sure your mum will be really proud of you and happy for you too!
Really good luck on your journey-you're doing brilliantly.
xx

Thanks Mazza-I really need one today boo hoo!
By the way- can you tell me how to get a pre-opper badge- can't figure it out. Ta !

Oh what a lovely letter.
I am sure your mum was proud of you before, but you have written in such a way to make her understand your time so far, as she lives a good distance away. Well done on your progress so far and keep up the good work!

To all you who have lost your mums BIG HUGGS I am just learning to appreciate mine now, before it is too late, rather than just taking her for granted. xx

Fantastic letter xx all the absolute best to you x

Really enjoyed reading your letter, sound like you are doing really well. I have a long way to go before I am offered my date (been told approx 2 years) and cant wait.
It's really good to see other peoples experiences with surgery
Wishing you the best of luck on your journey
Take Care X

Loved your letter to your mum, thank you for sharing it with us. I too am just at the start of a long journey I have my seminar on June 8th.

Thanks Wendy-I've done it now XX

Thanks for posting you letter. Things like this that I read inspire me sooo much to believe that one day I will be able to live and not just exist. My op will be on Tuesday so reading lovely posts like this also remind me of why I am doing this as well as helping to calm my nerves (which are growing by the day),

Sue
xx

Back