• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lifes Little yummy treats AND STILL loosing Weight!

PhilT

If anyone pre bypass had told me about my current treat snacks I do not think I would have believed them. Still have to be careful and make sure the sugars low and calorie count not to high BUT they are real treats!

Cranberry's and satsumas in NAS jelly with a small dollop of diabetic ice cream

NAS No fat fruit cake

Chocolate & Nut truffles made with almonds, coco powder and reduced sugar jam

Also made my own Christmas cake, mincemeat and oat biscuits!

I like them too please but I'm not on fb :( x

Christmas Cake
A traditional rich fruit cake with a difference; both the cake and the almond paste are sweetened only with Sweet Freedom syrups made from 100% fruit. Makes a 18cm (7 inch) round cake. serves 10 ready in 80 minutes ingredients
• 300g Sultanas
• 300g Raisins
• 100g Currants
• 85ml Rich Cream Sherry
• 125g Butter, softened
• 125g Sweet Freedom Natural Syrup
• 125g Plain Flour
• 1/4 Tsp Ground Mixed Spice
• 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
• 3 Medium Eggs, beaten
To Decorate
• 15ml Brandy
• 200g Ground Almonds
• 100g Sweet Freedom Natural Sweetener
• 1/2 Tsp Almond Extract
• 5ml Lemon Juice
• Red & Green Food Colouring Pastes
Instructions
1. Place the dried fruit in a bowl and pour over the sherry, stir to coat all of the fruit and then cover and leave overnight.
2. You will need a deep round cake tin measuring 18cm (7 inches) in diameter.
3. The following day, preheat the oven to 160C/Fan 140C and line the base and sides of the cake tin with non stick baking parchment. Also, make a collar out of several layers of brown paper and fasten around the outside of the tin with string or a paperclip.
4. Cream the butter and Sweet Freedom until pale and fluffy.
5. Mix together the spices and flour and mix a spoonful into the mixture, followed by a little of the beaten egg. Continue adding flour and egg little by little until they have all been mixed in.
6. Finally mix in the soaked fruit and then spoon into the prepared cake tin.
7. Flatten the top with a knife or spoon and bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
8. Leave to cool in the tin for about an hour then transfer to a cooling rack.
9. When the cake is cold wrap in baking parchment and tin foil and leave in a cool place.
10. The cake is best made several weeks in advance to allow it to mature.
To decorate
1. Remove all the wrappings from the cake and brush the top with the brandy. Leave to soak in for a few minutes.
2. Mix together the ground almonds, Sweet Freedom, almond extract and lemon juice until it forms a soft dough. Knead into a ball. As you knead the almond paste the oil is released from the almonds which makes it easier to handle.
3. Take 225g of the almond paste, place it between two sheets of baking parchment and roll out into a circle the same size as the top of the cake.
4. Remove the top layer of parchment, slide your hand underneath the bottom layer and flip the almond paste over onto the top of the cake. Gently press it onto the top and tidy up the edges.
5. Colour two thirds of the remaining almond paste with green colouring and the rest with red colouring. Roll the green in between two layers of baking parchment and cut out holly leaves. Roll small amounts of red almond paste into balls for the berries. Decorate the top of the cake with the holly leaves and berries. They should easy stick to the almond paste topping but if not, just lightly brush the top of the cake with a little water.

Holiday SUGAR FREE FUDGE!!!!

if you need a holiday treat try this recipe
for your fudge needs:

60 grams unsweetened chocolate
125 mils fat-free half & half
65 grams reduced-fat, all natural creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
100 mils artificial sugar (I like Splenda®)
65 grams dry roasted peanuts

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate in fat-free
half & half.
Stir in peanut butter and stir until smooth, then remove from heat.
Stir in vanilla and artificial sweetner.
Fold in peanuts and spread onto non-stick 20cm×20cm pan or dish.
Refrigerate and cut into pieces.

SUGAR FREE CRANBERRY RELISH

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cranberries
1 pkg sugar free jelly mix like Hartley’s ; in a berry flavour
water

Directions:

Rinse cranberries and cover with water. Simmer until soft and most of the liquid is cooked down. Stir and mash all cranberries to a pulp. It should have the consistency of mashed bananas. Add the package of jelly to the warm pulp and stir until dissolved. Add 190mils cold water, stir and refrigerate. When set, stir again to loosen the sauce.

This is very "sweet" so a little goes a long way.

Fat & Sugar Free Fruit Cake

12 oz Mixed dried fruit (i vary this depending on whats in the cupboard)
1 mug of hot strong black tea

Put the fruit in a bowl, pour over the hot tea & leave for a few hours or overnight.

to the fruit mixture add

1 large egg
1 teasp Bicarbonate of soda
8 oz SR flour
1 oz Candarel powdered sweetener

fold these into the fruit, pour into a greased & lined loaf tin. Cook for 45-60 mins at 180, or until a skewer comes out clean.

I as an RNYer can eat this, so does my Dad who's Diabetic, it uses candarel or the equivalent shops own powdered sweetener.

It is really nice, sort of an adaptation of a Bara Brith Recipe, it was trial & error, but the same cake with sugar uses 8 oz of soft light brown sugar.

It is honestly impossible to tell it is sugar & fat (apart from the egg & butter to grease tin) free!!

i have given this recipe to several diabetic friends who regularly make it.

Enjoy!!

They sound nice Phil, but it's not just the sugar that you would do well to keep an eye on, it's also the behaviour. I knew one really well informed, WLS educated, and switched on woman who used to laugh at me a little when I refused to eat her delicious sugar free sweets and cakes. For me sweets, snacks, cakes, etc even low fat no sugar ones were totally out of the question because they took me back to a dangerous place I didn't want to be.

About 18 months post op her and I met for coffee and she admitted that not only had she not reached goal weight, she had been regaining weight, and she put it all down to her difficulty changing her relationship with food as she had become more and more reliant on these sweet foods and snacks, and lost a degree of control over her intake because she had failed to change her behaviour with food.

Before the drama queens start harping on, I'm not having a pop merely talking from experience and advising moderation and caution.

They sound nice Phil, but it's not just the sugar that you would do well to keep an eye on, it's also the behaviour. I knew one really well informed, WLS educated, and switched on woman who used to laugh at me a little when I refused to eat her delicious sugar free sweets and cakes. For me sweets, snacks, cakes, etc even low fat no sugar ones were totally out of the question because they took me back to a dangerous place I didn't want to be.

About 18 months post op her and I met for coffee and she admitted that not only had she not reached goal weight, she had been regaining weight, and she put it all down to her difficulty changing her relationship with food as she had become more and more reliant on these sweet foods and snacks, and lost a degree of control over her intake because she had failed to change her behaviour with food.

Before the drama queens start harping on, I'm not having a pop merely talking from experience and advising moderation and caution.

I think that MAKES complete sense and worth heeding - thats why I include them in the calorie count of the day and refer to them as treats - Have to say that at this early stage your words of advice are appreciated and sod the drama queens we all need the voice of conscience lol Thanks mate!

I'd love the recipe-BUT I really do have to avoid too many treats. I've had to banish peanut butter because it goes down so easily even though it's a great source of protein. Similiarly I can't have reduced fat philly in the house else I get through it way too quickly. I occassionally risk a little portion pot of it though. I think I'm like the woman that Karlos describes. I've had to break the habits completely. That said I can't keep saintliness up for ever so have to learn about moderation. For example I buy cheese in the pick and mix portions instead of by the pound!
So rather than give me the recipe-just send me a slice xx

....oh PLEEZ !!

That's good advice, I don't have a sweet tooth mine is savoury but it woul be nice to make at Easter and next Xmas so I'm included lol x

Oooooh thanks for this Phil! my hubby has made a Xmas cake this weekend but it will be gone by the coming weekend just like the one he made 3 weeks ago, and as a diabetic type 1 he needs to see this!!!

I may even have a little kept for me for the soft stage!
xxx

That Christmas cake sounds ideal for me to make and take to my families gathering on boxing day at Mum and Dads. I will get a little taste of Christmas and wont be bringing the rest home as it will get well and truley scoffed and no one at my home eats fruit cake except me so perfect. Thanks Phil. I suppose you'll be wanting a share of my baked lemon cheesecake recipe then will you. It's the same as the Marks and Sparks lemon one.

I was just pleased i could have a rich tea biccy once in a while after the op, i love making cakes ect and used to bake for a living but oddly never made cakes for home so don't think i will start now even though they all sound great !

YES PLEEEEEEEEEASE

That Christmas cake sounds ideal for me to make and take to my families gathering on boxing day at Mum and Dads. I will get a little taste of Christmas and wont be bringing the rest home as it will get well and truley scoffed and no one at my home eats fruit cake except me so perfect. Thanks Phil. I suppose you'll be wanting a share of my baked lemon cheesecake recipe then will you. It's the same as the Marks and Sparks lemon one.

oh yes please xx

Back