• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low Absorption Rates

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hi all,

I had my 2 year follow up appointment last week, and was discussing absorption rates with the surgeon and dietician. As I've said before, I have to eat a very high calorie, high fat diet in order to maintain my weight and prevent losing more. Compared to other post oppers, I have to eat considerably more. My battle is to stop losing, not to prevent regaining.

It seems that I have a very low absorption rate post op. Apparently this happens in about 10% of cases, and could be permanent.

I think in some ways it is a good thing, as it makes maintaining easier, especially when I see some friends working so hard to lose the last few pounds or being very careful not to regain. At other times though, I worry about the high volume of fat I eat, and the long term health risks this brings.

Anywho, I just wanted to make people aware that this happens, and see if anyone else is the same?

Thats really interesting!
Do you know why it occurs?
I presume you had a normal amount of intestines bypassed not a larger amount?

So is it just that the bit of intestine you do use, basically doesnt work very well at absorbing nutrients???

Pretty much. They don't know why it happens, I had a normal bypass length as my BMI wasn't overly huge when I started.

I have no idea what my absorbtion rate is, but I am surprised at how much I have to eat to stop myself losing loads more weight.

It makes me hopeful that I will be able to have a normal diet in the long term.

Rx

Back