• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Massive weight gain!

salski

Hello all...I have put on a lot of weight and Im only 7 months pregnant. I was 169lbs on my wedding day. I found out I was 3 weeks regnant 4 weeks later. I am currently 181lbs!

I have put on 22lbs...thats way too much surely?! I am gutted for the weight gain, but happy as its my goal to be having a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy! Im all confused - I am happy as all is going well...but bypass wise...everyone in the world is losing weight bypassed...I am piling it on?! Know what I mean?

Its quite normal to gain weight in pregnancy hun whether you had a bypass or not. If you didnt gain any weight the baby would be taking all the nutrients you need too. Lots of women put massive amounts of weight on, 22lbs is pretty good! Just keep an eye on what you have and make sensible choices and you cant go wrong, plenty of time after bubs is born to worry about your weightloss :D Take care and dont worry (HUGS) XX

Really, 22lbs is very conservative considering you are 7 months pregnant. It is totally unrealistic to compare yourself to a non-pregnant bypasser in terms of weight loss at the moment...you surely didn't expect to continue losing weight while being pregnant, did you?! I know many women who piled on 4 - 5 stones whilst pregnant, so that puts your 22 lbs into perspective! As dottychic said, it is important for you & the baby health-wise not to worry or focus too much on your weight at the minute, especially as in the last 4 weeks the baby is likely to put on a pound a week, so that's at least another 4 lbs!!! It sounds like to me that you have been very sensible & careful throughout your pregnancy anyway, which will be a great bonus to you in terms of getting the weight back off once your gorgeous little baby is here!

Thank you for your replies. I guess I did expect to carry on losing if I am honest, at least up until a certain time when I knew baby weight was inevitable. I think I was being very naive but I thought the weight would only start going on in the last few months, so now Im worrying that not only have I put on the 22lbs...I will now be putting more and more on...from being so weight loss focused for 18 months, to now putting on...its a little difficult to swallow :( But I know the most important thing is a healthy me and baba...like I say Im confused at the weight issues....but thank you for your kind responses.
Sal x

Sal dont forget when you have Baby you will loose anything up to 1 stone depending on the weight of baby and the water you are carrying. When I had my youngest he only weighed 5lb and I hadnt put any weight on as Id been pretty poorly and when he was born I lost a stone :D Happy days :D Shame I put it all on again but thats another story :D XX

Perhaps naive, but I would say just committed...I can only imagine the psychological turmoil in being so successful in losing weight, to see it slowly creeping up again, even though you know it's for such an exceptional (and exciting!!!!) reason. Like dottychic says, a good stone at least will come off straight away, from the weight of the baby, amniotic fluid & normal water retention. Try not to dwell on the weight issue too much; this is such a unique & exciting time for you both at the minute, it would be such a shame not to enjoy being gloriously pregnant solely due to worrying about weight! Are you planning on breast feeding baby, because that can really help weight loss after baby is here. xxxx

Sal you need to go back to school along with all the others! 181 take away 169 = 12lbs my lovely

Feel better now i bet :) xxx

A gain from 169 to 181 is only 12lb!!

I would have loved to have only gained 22lb during my pregnancies, during my first I gained 5 1/2 stones!! Eat for 2? I ate for 22!

As long as you are feeling well Sal, thats the main thing. Also what is your BMI now? Are you still within normal range, or thereabouts? If so, then honestly hun, I wouldnt worry.

Aw Sam a mate of mine put on 5 stone when she was pregnant, she never lost it either! At least you are now all slim and lovely :D XX

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL! Hahahahahahahahaha ITS THE PREGNANCY BRAIN! I swear its getting worse...but is it? Seriously...I still cant work that out! Its still coming to 22 in me head! HAHAHA Awww. Well Im happier knowing its not the 2 stone! Thats ladies! Haha. Im still not massively happy as its a weight gain - but only a little one compared to what I stupidly thought :) Thanks - really. And I was coming to terms with the 22lbs as not too bad - so off for cake I go...! NOT lol x

As an ex-midwife...expect to gain around 1 1/2 to 2 stones in pregnancy, this is absolutely healthy.
Weight is baby+ amniotic fluid+ membranes + placenta + normal weight gain distributed especially on breasts and hips where special fat stores are laid down specifically to supply energy to mother for labour and breast feeding.

Incidentally, breast feeding is an absolutely excellent way to lose that excess baby weight following birth!

Only gaining 12 pounds is actually very little, but you will gain more (hopefully!) in the last trimester.

Enjoy and relax petal. xxx

and now you know all the healthy choices, once you have had baby, you will know how to lose any excess weight you might put on, but be careful if you are breastfeeding, cos you will need to eat enough to provide a good quality milk, and also to stop you getting poorly. your doing great huni, big hugs xx

They say that a normal weight gain during pregnancy is 30 - 35 lbs.

First of all there is a baby, then there is everyhting connected with the baby (placenta, fluids, etc.), but there is also a blood volume, which increases during pregnancy and water retention (hello puffy legs starting from 30 weeks, well for me anyways).

So, don't worry. I think your weight gain is normal

Thank you all so much! I didnt want to be worrying that I was going to be putting on 5 stone just cuz I was over-eating, so as long as Im doing OK and 12lbs is all good Im much much happier! Thank you so much - you girls are so amazingly helpful ;)

CHHUFFED ;D

Back