• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Maybe this time? gastric band

bridiegeorge

Well I have been back to the doctors again, i went originally last year to request band on nhs and was declined.. he told me to come back in april as the criteria was changing. i didnt go back then as i was dieting using calorie control, and i managed to lose just over two stone in 4/5 months. then i stopped counting and regained all the weight i had lost plus an extra sixteen pounds (sound familiar?) and these last few weeks i am really struggling with it all. so armed with everything i have learned from here, off i went today. saw the same doc as before so at least that helped, i told him i had researched as much as i could and that i needed this op more than i wanted it, i gabbled on about statistics of dying 1 in 2000 and that at this weight my chances of dying from obesity were much higher, i hardly let him get a word in edge ways, then he put his hand up laughed and said " i agree i am on your side" well that was a good start.. so he is going to refer me again, and thinks i stand a good chance, mainly because since last time i have grown larger and because my sleep apnea tests came back and i have mild sleep apnea. i know it wont cure all of my problems Fibromyalgia and cervical spondylosis, but i know that it will help with all of them, he asked me a few questions like what slimming clubs i had tried, i said all of them, but we settled on weight watchers slimming world and rosemary conley. he wasnt concerned with all the other methods ie slim fast, cambridge, cabbage soup (ugh), and on and on...... and i explained that i understood as much as i could about it from what i know from here. he then said something which has stopped two of his patients going through with it.. "You will never be able to eat a roast dinner again" i must admit when he put it like that it made me sit up. but it didnt put me off. its quite simple for me really i have to lose weight or it will kill me and i cant do it any other way. i apologised as i knew the nhs needs money for lots of other ops. but he stopped me and said that over five years my meds would cost more than the band op so eventually they would save money. that made me feel better. so i am going down this route again, i dont know how long or which way it will go. but know i can rely on all of you here to help and advise me. i will update when i hear anything, dont imagine it will be for a while but at least i have taken the first step again.... Bridie;)

congrats onyour first steps to wls. :D well done for going armed with the info.

As for the 'roast dinner' comment. Im not post op just yet but I do know I will be able to eat roast dinner eventually just not a normal size one and probably with some fine tweaking.
Anyway what is a roast dinner a week to losing wieght, feeling healthy confident and happy with yourself ? Answer nothing to put off surgery for.
If that does put people off then they werent ready for the surgery in the first place.

Good luck on your journey:)

Hi Brindle

Good luck on your journey!

In a way he is right you will have to completly change your attitude to food post op. You will be able to consume significantly less than before but will also have to make 'good' food choices. Meals should consisit of 1stly protein, veg and then carbs. There is no reason why a lower fat and much smaller roast dinner could not fit into this regime.

Maz

Hi Bridie, welcome back :) Sounds really positive, will keep everything crossed for you x

Excellent and I agree whats a roast dinner compared with the weight loss and you will find new food you love (or thas what i am hoping) not sure what will fix my monthly kfc x

Hey Bridie, firstly let me just assure you that I had a roast dinner last night and I have a band in. lol just so you know ;)
Seriously, I hope everything goes the way you want it to and you get on the losing it permanently side very soon. I see you are in Somerset...will you be referred to Mr Welbourne? he did my op last year and is a lovely chap.
All the absolute best and keep us postedxxx

Back