• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Migrains (A side effect ???????)

Fat Again

I've been having migrains recently, something I've never suffered with before my bypass, my vision goes all funny and I see strips of bright flashing lights, this lasts for about 1 hour then goes, about ½ hour after that I get a real ******* headache.

Could this be a side effect of hardly eating any food or should I go get my eyes tested ????????

It may be more linked to lower fluids rather than the food consumption.

Have not heard of this as a side effect of WLS before, but it sounds horrid.

If ordinary painkillers are not shifting it, may be worth a trip to the doctors.

This happened to me at around 4-5 months but did just go. Maybe you should check it out with the doc or like mixie said worth a try upping your fluids xxx

I am planning on seeing my doctor for the same reason. I am drinking plenty of fluids, just had an eye exam and everything else but have only had these since the bypass.

Likely causes for migraines are:-

Some people who suffer from migraines can clearly identify triggers or factors that cause the headaches, but many cannot. Potential migraine triggers include:

Allergies and allergic reactions

Bright lights, loud noises, and certain odors or perfumes

Physical or emotional stress

Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep

Smoking or exposure to smoke

Skipping meals or fasting

Alcohol

Menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, hormone fluctuations during menopause onset

Tension headaches

Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG), or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs, and salami)

Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products, and fermented or pickled foods.

Triggers do not always cause migraines, and avoiding triggers does not always prevent migraines.

Dehydration could cause them too as can low blood sugar levels.

I've been having migrains recently, something I've never suffered with before my bypass, my vision goes all funny and I see strips of bright flashing lights, this lasts for about 1 hour then goes, about ½ hour after that I get a real ******* headache.

Could this be a side effect of hardly eating any food or should I go get my eyes tested ????????

UPDATE:

Went and got my eyes tested Saturday and explained about the headaches and vision problems. The optition check my retina's and said all was OK there, however she did ask if I'd been under any stress or had any major change in my diet.

I told her about the bypass and she said that was most probably the cause and diagnosed visual migrains. She said that a major change in diet can cause !

So great, yet another side effect to be aware of !!

I used to suffer from migranes, had them weekly as stress was a trigger (or so I thought), but whenever something happened at work that was stressfull I used to make a coffee! I went on the Atkins diet and switched to decaf, after an eventful period of withdrawals, I only now have migranes approx 2 or 3 times a YEAR. So for all you out there that are having problems perhaps the combination of lack of fluids and caffine "might" be the problem.

Lesley

Back