• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

More prone to tummy bugs post-op?

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
Has anyone noticed themselves being more prone to tummy bugs now that they are post-op?
I had developed the kind of constitution where the only reason I would get an upset tummy was if I ate really crap foods, I wouldnt seem to get tummy bugs, hell, when my whole family came down with norovirus (hubby was worst, he was vomiting badly and had the runs BADLY) I didnt suffer, I got a rumbly in my tumbly (lol) but thats it.
Now I am post-op I have had two sets of tummy upsets in the same amount of months. I had the runs and horrible pains/cramping around about six weeks ago and I have it again now. It started this morning after breakfast when my tummy began to feel uncomfy, I went to the toilet and had the most distressing cramps ever, I went really hot feeling and also sat with a bucket as I felt a bit sick. I didnt actually have the runs but there was lots of it and it hurt (sorry, TMI) and I felt so drained and distressed afterwards. Anyway, forward to just after work (2pm ish) and I got the cramps again and had to dash to the toilet and this time it was the runs. I was ok then until about fifteen minutes ago when I had to dash again and oh my!! its getting worse, totally liquid now!!! and the cramps are so horrible. Now I am sat on the sofa with a blanket feeling a bit sorry for myself, hoping that its all over now, though I doubt it is, I have barely eaten today or even drunk much, every time the pains and poops came it was after food or drink, so I am guessing that drinking is going to kick it off, though I am making sure to stay hydrated by drinking plenty and making sure the drinks are milk based to get in some protein and some carbs that I am not getting from food as I am not eating anything and also to keep myself from having a hypo (my diabetes only shows up to go low these days), so I guess that there is more to come.
Im determined not to take any meds to stop it, something is in there that obviously needs to come out (hubby saw his mate the other day and mentioned that he and all his family had suffered a tummy bug lately) so I wont be taking anything to prevent more coming along.
So, lonnnnnnnnng explanation short here...do you post-oppers find that you are more prone to tummy bugs nowadays?
Steph xx

Hi Steph, whenever I have had tummy trouble, have been told to stay away from milk and dairy products. Maybe you should cut out the milk, and have clear fluids for a little while? I feel so sorry for you feeling rough, sending hugs and hope you feel better soon hun xxxx

I didnt know to do that Jan, maybe I should.
I suppose a day of low protein wont hurt me.
Thanks xx
Steph xx

hi steph im 18 months out now and havent had 1 tummy bug in all that time.
But yes milk and dairy should be avoided if you have a tummy bug regardless of bypass or not!!!
as for not taking anything to stop it you run the risk of becomig dehydrated the longer it goes on so personally if it were me i would be reaching for the immodium!!! an rehydrate sachets but check the sugar content first!!!

Hi Steph can I ask what you had for breakfast? I'm only asking as this is what happens when I have had serious dumping syndrome. Hope your feeling better and that things are settling down.

I am 12 months post op and have never had a tummy upset even though it has gone round the family. Sorry I can't be of much help. x

Hi Steph,

So sorry to hear you're not well. I would avoid the milky stuff too if I were you...even just until you're feeling better.

I'm just like you though and don't like to take anything if I get ill like that. I believe it's the body's way of getting rid of any bacteria or poisons so bear with it if you can.

I hope this isn't something that people get a lot of. I just never get tummy upsets and find it really difficult to actually be sick...probably only been sick 2 or 3 times in my adult life (including from drinking!). My mum and I were laughing about it pre-op saying I would be fine in hospital...probably tempted fate (6 days of vomitting :()

Anyway, hope you feel better soon my love. Get lots of liquid, lots of sleep and cosy up on the sofa until it passes x

Could it be dumping syndrome, specifically as it seems to happen after you've eaten? I'm not long post op but I haven't had a tummy bug once. But I have eaten too much diabetic choc which gave me a serious case of the runs.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I dont think that it was breakfast related because all I had was a poached egg, I added nothing but water and egg to the equation so I dont think that it could be dumping.
If I had had very very very bad watery runs that had threatened to keep me home from work then I would have taken something but as it was sporadic I didnt take anything, more because this past couple of weeks I have been lucky if I have had a bowel movement per week even with a daily actimel and the assistance of Benefibre, so I dont like to bung myself up even more. I know that I am eating nowhere near enough at the minute and that is causing the lack of bowel movements, so I have to address that and I have to address my fluid intake too and I will probably see improvement.
I dont know if my body was just having a mega clearout of the stuff that was built up in there (not constipated, I just dont go very often) and that could explain the pain, cramps and sheer volume that I passed, though I doubt it is as I am now pretty sure that I am not full of stuff and my tummy is still grumbling at me. I have managed to eat and drink today without any more runs but my tummy has hurt and has been grumbling, though I can cope with that.
So I dont know if it was just all needing to come out or if it was a mild tummy bug, I am leaning towards the latter as I have had indirect contact with one person that has had a tummy bug where the runs where the effect and I have had direct contact with multiple people in work that have had a mild tummy upset like mine.
Anyway, Im pretty good tummy wise now, like I say, it is still a little tender and is having a good old grumble but I havent had any more runs and can now eat and drink safely.
Now, just to knock this cold on the head that I have had for two weeks now!!!
Thanks for all of the replies and help guys, as usual you guys rock xxx
Steph xx

Back