• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Multivitamins and Warfarin - Help!

Aliphant1964

Hello :)

I had my initial assessment in Chichester 7 days ago and I have been accepted for a Gastric Bypass but I will need to complete 6 months of Tier 3 appointments and I have been told to expect a wait of approximately 12 months before surgery.

In the meantime I have been advised to start getting to grips with some of the lifestyle changes - including starting to take an A-Z Multivitamin and Mineral supplement and well as a separate vitamin D tablet.

However, following a DVT and PE in November 2009 I am now on warfarin for life and I have been told I must not take a multivitamin that includes Vitamin K and only has a very low level of Vitamin E, otherwise my blood clotting may be compromised.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Can anyone recommend a multivitamin that will cover A-Z but excludes vitamin K and has Vitamin E at a maximum of 400 units?

I have tried phoning Chichester for advice and initially they came back and said an A-Z tablet won't affect my clotting levels as the Vitamin K would only be around the same level as would be found in a normal diet, but when I explained my INR tests veer wildly between 1:1 and 1:4 up to 3:8 and 4:2 - and the amount of times I have hit my desired target of 2.5 over the last 5 years could probably be counted on one or two hands - they said they would have to look into it and try and get back to me!

I have tried searching online, but I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some advice.

Many Thanks

Alison

hi maybe ask your gp they would know what is best to go with other medications

Actually I disagree.. talk to your pharmacist not your GP they know more about medications and drug interactions like Warfarin and Vitamin K. Make sure you speak to a pharmacist and not the counter assistant. Good luck

I'd ask the experts at the warfarin clinic. Or do you have your blood tests at the GP? If you've rarely been in therapeutic range, I wouldn't take anything that will compromise your health further.

Back