• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

*New Member*

ernurseashley

Hey everyone! My name is Ashley and I am 27 years old. I am a new member and just found this app for my phone. I am seriously considering getting gastric bypass, but I am very concerned with hair loss...is there anyone that can tell me what their experience was with hair loss after gastric bypass? Thanks!!

Hi Ashley, welcome along.

When they talk about hairloss, it's not really talking about going bald. Some people do have more hair than usual come out but it's only temporary and the hormone imbalance corrects itself and doesn't cause a problem.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ashley and :welcome: to WLS....Im only 6 weeks out from my gastric bypass so no problem with hair loss as yet (fingers crossed) From what I understand it usually starts aroud 3 months and isnt the same for any 2 people. Some suffer quite badly and other dont really have a problem with it. I think a lot depends on your protein intake after surgery. Good luck with decision :D XX

:welcome:

I'm 6 weeks post-op so haven't suffered any hair loss, yet!! But I'd be slimmer & healthier with a hair piece than fat, unhealthy with all my hair ;)

Hi and welcome. I am due wls in a few weeks and have worried about this to all year in fact.

There are hair thickening shampoos you can use and vitamins which include zinc too.

This has not prevented me from having the wls though and like mixxy and jaqui said it differs from person to person and you wont go bald, its just more hair on your brush for a while.
Hope this has helped xx

I'm five months post bypass and although i have had hair loss i've only noticed it when washing my hair and not in clumps... To be honest i have thick hair anyway so it's been a nice thinner out and i still have a good head of hair. Selenium and zinc supplements can help with this... But as someone else said i'd rather be healthy and folically challenged than fat with a full head of hair. If it bothers you that much you can always wear a trendy scarf/bandana :)

Hi Ashley and Welcome i am also new here (just joined today) and i am also 27 and considering surgery!
As far as hair loss goes i am sure that you will come to a answer soon with the help of the group.

But as my mother also taught me 'there is more than one way to skin a cat'. (by the way we don;t actually skin cats! lol
in other words theres ways around hair loss! or other problems!

End it, yes, I pretty much have made up my mind and am gonna go through with the gastric bypass. It is just a long process even to see the surgeon. I am still in the process of getting a referral from my PCP. I am really excited, will be super hard work but I think it will give me a new lease on life :) I am ready for a change..bring it on!

Good luck with the doctor i hope that the doctor is understanding with you theres nothing worse than an ununderstanding doctor. Good luck with it all!.

Hi and welcome to the site.
I'm only 10 weeks out so am not affected by any hair-loss yet. From what I've read most people who experience any loss say that their hair 'thins' rather than falling out in clumps.

The main thing your hair needs is protein so look into protein powders, shots etc. Also vitamins: zinc, selenium, biotin, silica complex etc.

If you check back on my previous posts I've put loads of links to sites selling protein/vitamins etc.

Hope all goes well - keep us posted.

Take Care

I lost some mostly between 6 and 9 months. I used and still use Nioxin shampoo which helped as my hair was very fine to begin with. Coloring and highlighting helps too as it makes your hair appear thicker. Over all it wasn't a hugh issue. Good luck.

hiya huni, im 6 and a half months out, and it is more like hair thinning than balding or clumps falling out, and it usually comes out most when having a shower or washing your hair, though sometimes more comes out when brushing/combing it, but its not significant, although it can be alarming. you cant really tell on me, and it does seem to be slowing down a bit now, very slowly, so maybe in a couple of months it will stop altogether.
good luck on your wls journey, its certainly a life changing move, and i must say, mine is all for the better.

i lost quite a lot of hair and most of it from the front "theres photos in my album that show this" but it's growing back now and i don't consider it a major problem.

Back