• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie and a tad scared!!

sarahlove

Hi im sarah and I live in Northamptonshire, after battling with my weight all my life, I took the decision to go to my GP and ask for help, he has referred me for a gastric band as he feels this will be life changing for me.

my BMI is currently 50 and I have polycystic ovaries and other factors of my health are deteriating. I believe that the gastric band is the best option for me and will change my life dramatically.

I have just had confirmation I will be going to see the surgeon and dietician on the 19th November.... I am yes scared but also I cant wait to start my new life..

Welcome Sarah, you have taken the first steps, you will find plenty of support on here and, if you want it, advice.

Hello and welcome :D

awww thank you everyone, im very determined and have support from family and my other half, it something I have thought about in great depth....at the moment my mind wont concentrate on anything else, and im doing a lot of research on the band, I have read a lot of different cases and I believe this would be the right way forward for me, and my eating habbits.

I heard though if your surgeon believes a different op would be suited better you have to go with it... but the other ops I feel would be more risky

hopefully once I see professor kumar in Coventry in November my mind will rest a little lol....

gosh im so excited but scared lol........

Hello and Welcome
I only had my band on Thursday ..don't be scared Its a breeze!!!!
Im doing just fine off for a stroll tonight!!!

welcome :)

The fears are natural and my own stopped me getting a band for 7+ years but I've now had it for 13 months and it's changed my life :)

I started with a BMI of 54 and had a long way to go - still a fair way but I'm almost 89% down to target. If isn't easy, it takes a lot of willpower and hard work, but it's a wonderful tool if you're prepared to work with it :)

wow well done that's great..... ive got a lot of willpower and I know im ready for this.. I know on average banders loose 65% of the over weight but I have set myself my goal of 85% I cant wait to push forward with this.

counting down till the 19th November, and fingers crossed not to much longer :)

I have also since seeing my gp cut out everything and trying to cut down to show im serious.. hopefully this will show them im serious about the op and its the right thing to and I can do it... also it will help after the op if I get into some sort of routine...

also how do I find out my professor mortality rates? do I just ask at the appointment?

Hello and welcome! I've had my band for nearly 2 weeks now, and it's going very well.

There's loads of help and support here, and I wish you all the best x

Hello Sarah,good luck

Hello Sarah. Welcome to the forum. Congrats on feeling the fear but doing it anyway.

I'm a bypasser, 3 months post op - it is a drastic op, but being big since a toddler and at 50 now was 'only' 18.5 stone and incredibly healthy and active all considering, I needed drastic help. I explored all options. When my provider said bypass it knocked me for six ... I had ruled out a band as I felt I needed a permanent solution and was thinking about a sleeve. But I now fully understand why the bypass was recommended - the disconnection of the stomach disconnects the hunger-driving hormone, so not only can I not physically eat very much, I don't feel the need to. Has worked for me - 4 stone lost in as many months. It has slowed now but I'm eating a wide range of foods but not much of them. Am very happy with my experience.

Everyone's journey is totally individual to them. That is what makes this forum great - we have all been there, and know how many challenges present themselves, and support each other to overcome them.

Good luck with your journey. I'm excited for you xx

Thankyou and very welldone to you to.... hopefully on the 19th November I will know a bit more, I went with the band because of my eating habbits, I eat large portions and though with the band this will be easier to control..im just a little scared of the whole idea of the unknown... side effects some people get.. im willing to put in every life change they tell me and succeed!

I just am even more so scared of the surgeon turning round and saying the band isn't for me and I would suit a different operation... I have only just got my head round having the band lol and to be honest the other wls ops mortality rates and things that could go wrong scare me to a stage of I possibly would say no :(

Although with the band the weight loss can be considerably less but I would like to loose 85% of my over weight.. im 22st current. I have read many case studies and a lot of people don't succeed with the band which play on my mind a little but im a stuborn person and I will do it!

roll on the 19th November and I can start my road to my new life :)

I also think to myself am I suitable for banding as im a yoyo dieter, my weight is up and down, unfortunately I loose a stone put 1.5 stone back on... that's why im beginning to think they might suggest bypass... that's what im scared of I think...

also how do I find out my professor mortality rates? do I just ask at the appointment?

My Daughters are both Senior Nurses and I discussed this with them before my appointment
They both concluded its a really unfair question because if you do have a mortality rate it can be for numerous reasons not all the fault of the Surgeon..

Just think its us that got this overweight now we want someone to be brave and confident enough to operate on us..I say this as I waited years for a hip replacement as no-one would be prepared to operate on me, Thank God for bariatric Surgeons

we are higher risk than an average healthy person and when I had the discussion with the girls I decided not too ask that question at all....

having said that if it makes you feel more reassured go for it ;)

yes that's a great way to look at it thankyou.... still very scary... but the good outweighs the bad to be honest, I keep saying to myself, "sarah your life will be so much better and your quality of life"

Back