• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie converter

Cherub08

Hi, I had a band 4 years ago and lost 3 st and down 3 dress sizes. Then about 18 months ago started having problems with persistent cough, hoarse voice, respiratory infections, breathing problems, coughing on eating and drinking to the point of feeling that I was choking.
I found that stodgy/soft foods were a little easier, though still problematic and couldn't eat normal consistency foods without regurgitating. Very hard to manage on a day to day basis, very demoralising.....particularly at work or when out with friends for a meal! I was misdiagnosed with asthma and ended up seeing a respiratory consultant who told me that I hadn't got asthma at all, I'd only been on inhalers and steroids for months! He said it was acid. I have had a partial deflation of my band with no effect on symptoms thus it was refilled. Then I lost my voice. After 2 months, my GP referred me to ENT who found growths on my vocal cords, I had to go in for biopsies and laser treatment under GA. Results benign and surgeon said they were granulomas caused through acid.
Band checks revealed dysmotility and I had my band completely deflated to see if there was any change in symptoms.
I've thought for a whirl that inhale LPR/silent reflux, but no one would listen to.....I'm only the patient! Turns out I was bang on and looks like band has caused all this.
My surgeon has said its time for my band to be removed and convert to a bypass during the same op. I'm on my pre op diet and surgery is 11/12/14. I'm glad I've got a date so quickly and just want it over with. Apparently, in other patients with very similar complaints, this revisional surgery has reversed all symptoms and no other treatments required.
I'm still off sick since sept as I have no voice. It won't get better til after op when acid won't be a problem anymore, hopefully,then my voice will return and I can go back to work.

Has anyone else had similar problems and converted to bypass?
I'd be interested to hear experiences about how it went, how long in hospital, any complications, recovery experiences and further weight loss news! ;)

Hello and welcome!

I am almost six years post op band. I went to my GP well over a year ago as I found a lump in my abdomen and was feeling sick a fair bit.

Fast forward to last week. As well as knowing I have an epi gastric hernia and the lump is around it (don't know yet what exactly it is though). I've also had a diagnosis of esophagitis!

I'm seeing the consultant on 16th and don't know what to expect but I'm thinking surgery .........

Good luck on the next part of your journey and keep posting xx

Hi and thank you.
Sounds like you're having a really tough time too! Hope you get some clarity and plans to help you. Good luck in 16th

Hello and welcome!

I am almost six years post op band. I went to my GP well over a year ago as I found a lump in my abdomen and was feeling sick a fair bit.

Fast forward to last week. As well as knowing I have an epi gastric hernia and the lump is around it (don't know yet what exactly it is though). I've also had a diagnosis of esophagitis!

I'm seeing the consultant on 16th and don't know what to expect but I'm thinking surgery .........

Best of luck with all this-I shall be thinking of you Mazza x

Have you seen bug lady's post, sounds very similar to what's happening for you.....

Hello and welcome!

Best of luck Mazza!

Thinking of you!

Hello and welcome , I guess you have had your op by now and recovering at home so I wish you lots of luck with that

Thank you for your support and well wishes.
My surgery didn't go to plan - band removed but too much scar tissue to convert to bypass.
Got to try again in 3-4 months when scar tissue has settled.

Back