• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rupert

Hi everyone I finally have my pre op gastric sleeve tests this week at kings College. Apart from the introduction at the hospital, and a appointment last year with the surgeon, I've not really had much time to talk to them or after I left I though of all the things I should have asked at the time.
I have high BP, Severe Sleep Apena, Asthma, and some COPD.
So I have a few things going on I'm worried about complications and also the risk. I have always been big I'm 25 stone now. The consultant did say I would be high risk,
I thought I would join this forum to get some info in general.
And also to say hello !:)

Hi and welcome

I was relatively low risk but from what I can understand from friends who were at night risk, the surgical teams make sure they have the best skilled teams possible with additional staff in on the ops to make things as safe as possible

Thanks, its great to have this forum and wealth of experiences of everyone

Hi Rupert!
I know what you mean about questions - every day it seems I think of a dozen more! Hopefully you'll find the advice you need:)

Hello and good luck with your journey. Like you I'm just starting out....... Finding this site a valuable resource

Hi and welcome! I was sleeved 7 months ago at the uch and have been thrilled with the results! You've made a brave and brilliant decision!

good luck and welcome!

Hi everyone I finally have my pre op gastric sleeve tests this week at kings College. Apart from the introduction at the hospital, and a appointment last year with the surgeon, I've not really had much time to talk to them or after I left I though of all the things I should have asked at the time.
I have high BP, Severe Sleep Apena, Asthma, and some COPD.
So I have a few things going on I'm worried about complications and also the risk. I have always been big I'm 25 stone now. The consultant did say I would be high risk,
I thought I would join this forum to get some info in general.
And also to say hello !:)

Hi rupert and welcome
With the addition of a few more things my co morbidities /risk are identical to yours hence why I have the balloon. Hope to be bypassed by the end of August :). Although I still have severe sleep apnea I recently had my Cpap pressure reduced from a whacking 17 to 9. Doesn't sound like a hurricane is blowing in the bedroom any more just a nice gentle ssss now :)

Hello Rupert :)

I am new on here also. Lots of wonderful people on this site with a great deal of support and knowledge.

Good luck and keep it touch!

Best wishes,

John

Hi John and Rupert,

You will find these lovely people on here very supportive and a wealth of knowledge.

They've helped me to find new perspectives and approaches, even before I've had my procedure !

I hope you're both feeling well and find plenty of support here too.
Rebecca

Thanks they didn't mention the balloon for me my copd is mild. Have you got copd?
as for my sleep apnoea I did have an old machine which was so noisy like a mini hoover! although the new one my partner hardy notices...

Thanks

:)
Thanks for all the well wishes my Pre Op test are tomorrow will post in the pre op diary's, but will let you know how it goes

Thanks they didn't mention the balloon for me my copd is mild. Have you got copd?
as for my sleep apnoea I did have an old machine which was so noisy like a mini hoover! although the new one my partner hardy notices...

Yes I have sleep apnea, mild COPD, severe asthma & an enlarged heart amongst other things. I have had problems with anaesthesia in the past too. Once when I was very briefly skinny and later on when I wasn't. So I guess they are just taking all the precautions necessary one of which means getting my BMI down to a level that they feel is less risky. There are many people here who have had many co morbidities and went on to have their surgery without the balloon hun. It just depends on your team and what they perceive as "a risk" i suppose.
Good luck with your pre op test today :) x

Hi Femfrankie. Ah I see so you have it all going on, I hope you get it sorted soon You seem to be doing so well and on the right track :)
I had my pre op assessment today, and all is ok they say Although I was confused as the consultant previously I needed repeat blood gasses checks pre and post op, although they didn't mention it I brought it up and the junior fellow was called in as he had put it on the cards but not in the notes. so then the nurse was confused too... she said are they arterial gasses or venous blood gas? He said venous so I have left it up to them as I dont want to push my luck, but then again, Im thinking maybe there is a misunderstanding and I should check again.....just in case

Thank you Rupert. it is indeed an exciting time for me and for you :). There is so much info to take in, so much that it can be mind numbing. I am ever so thankful that my hubby comes to my appointments with me as I miss parts lol. He is going to have to be on his toes in two weeks time at my next app as I have a feeling there is going to be such a barrage of info flung at me & I can't afford to mis hear anything. X

Hi and Welcome to the forum I'm a sleever and 5 weeks post op!

I hope every thing goes well for you

Kaz
x

Back