• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

News about my OH, hope for others and advice please from West Mids peeps

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Phew I dont ask for much do I! For anyone interested, plus some advice needed!

My OH (the lovely Jim :D) spoke to our practise nurse in Oct/Nov about WLS during his diabetic check up. Within days our GP had referred him to the endocrynologist and the dietician at our hospital, University Hospital Cov & Warwickshire. First appoinment with endo chappy and all of his thyroid meds were changed, second appointment today and he is being put on Reductil - initially for 3 months. Dr Kumar told him that if the Reductil doesnt work he WILL be getting surgery.

The GP's referrel was such that even though his BMI is 39 (our PCTS criteria is 45 if diabetic) they said they cannot refuse surgery. Basically he has been a type 2 diabetic since his early twenties (now 34) and he has an underactive thyroid. The GP outlined the costs to the PCT of funding his meds for the rest of his life and the figure was so many times more than the cost of the op.

Jim would like to have the sleeve, my very long winded question to all the West Mids peeps is do they do the sleeve here? Or is he likely to be swayed towards a bypass.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the waffle, just had to share and hope that others who thought there was no chance of funding may get some hope from this x

Not heard of anyone from the west midlands having a sleeve, but that doesn't mean its not done. Having said that walsall manor only do bypass and the heartlands both bypass (only recently over the last 6 months) and band. It could be that it is offered but at another hospital. The onky thing he could do is ring the pct directly and ask them if they fund sleeve ops and if so where is it done.

Thanks Tes, didnt think Id heard of anyone having it. He told them that would be his preference and they didnt say no way so we shall see :D

just wanted to say i have been on reductil and it did work for me well, just want to say good luck huni xx

Hi Mazza,

Sorry, Im not aware of any west mids peeps having the sleeve hun, but if he is diabetic would the bypass not be better anyway? I think bypass virtually guarantees to put the diabetes into remission (prob not right wording but you know what I mean)

Hi Sam

Yes the bypass does indeed. However when in the past he drops a couple of stone he also doesnt need his meds. Since writing this though I have found out Dr Paul Super is the surgeon for Coventry and apparantly he favours the band?

I dont think they would be too keen on the sleeve as its usually for those that have such a high bmi the longer operation is too risky. Having said that if its what he wants he should push for it. A friend of mine was refered to Charing cross and offered a bypass but she wanted the duodenal switch, they were happy to refer her on to a hospital that did do that procedure. Good luck! x

Hi Sam

Yes the bypass does indeed. However when in the past he drops a couple of stone he also doesnt need his meds. Since writing this though I have found out Dr Paul Super is the surgeon for Coventry and apparantly he favours the band?

hi mazza
Mr Paul super only do,es the band at heartlands hospital Mr Hanesh Kumar do,es the bypass at heartlands which is were coventry university send too ,and also walsall manor which is were am being done, also coventry uni criteria is a 12 month weight management course which i also did before my referral to walsall hope this helps
regards Steve

Last edited:
hi mazza
Mr Paul super only do,es the band at heartlands hospital Mr Hamish Kumar do,es the bypass at heartlands which is were coventry university send too ,and also walsall manor which is were am being done, also coventry uni criteria is a 12 month weight management course which i also did before my referral to walsall hope this helps
regards Steve

Thanks Steve

That helps a lot. He doesnt even meet the usual criteria to be considered but because of his early onset type 2 diabetis they are seeing him. They said they had never seen someone as young as him in clinic who'd had it so long. Suppose he is lucky it hasnt developed to insulin dependent which it no doubt would eventually

Are you diabetic too? They gave the impression that after 3 months on reductil they would make a decision on next steps, some of the usual tablets can't be given to diabetics. Plus his GP history of weight gain loss etc has been taken into account.

Oh well if it is a year then thats not too bad eh, he will have the rest of his life fit and healthy to look forward too.

Thanks again :D

Hi Mazza, That's great news if Jim gets the operation on the NHS...I will keep everything crossed for him x

Thanks Steve

That helps a lot. He doesnt even meet the usual criteria to be considered but because of his early onset type 2 diabetis they are seeing him. They said they had never seen someone as young as him in clinic who'd had it so long. Suppose he is lucky it hasnt developed to insulin dependent which it no doubt would eventually

Are you diabetic too? They gave the impression that after 3 months on reductil they would make a decision on next steps, some of the usual tablets can't be given to diabetics. Plus his GP history of weight gain loss etc has been taken into account.

Oh well if it is a year then thats not too bad eh, he will have the rest of his life fit and healthy to look forward too.

Thanks again :D

hi mazza ,
i,m type 2, also they but me on xenical not reductil as for the 12 months weight clinic that flew by, i no its a pain but it some thing that has to be done for the funding , if he dont have to do 12 months then all the better as it realy is a waste of time when he could be seeing the surgeon and getting nearer to gettin the job done , i hope he dont have to wait to long ,
regards steve

hi mazza ,
i,m type 2, also they but me on xenical not reductil as for the 12 months weight clinic that flew by, i no its a pain but it some thing that has to be done for the funding , if he dont have to do 12 months then all the better as it realy is a waste of time when he could be seeing the surgeon and getting nearer to gettin the job done , i hope he dont have to wait to long ,
regards steve

Thanks Steve, I hope so too but like you say 12 months isnt that long especially in the big scheme of things :)

wow thats great news and i to thoguht it was only the bypass that put the diabetes into remission/reduced it.

wow thats great news and i to thoguht it was only the bypass that put the diabetes into remission/reduced it.

Thanks Di

Your right the bypass does do that but losing weight 'can' too. When Jim got down to 17 stone from over 24 he was no longer on metformine and his blood sugar was normal. Trouble is he could not maintain the loss and when after a year or so he got back up to 19 ish had to go back on it. Whichever op he gets will hopefully help him to lose enough to stop the medication again and maintain the loss.

Firstly Mazza Mr Super DOES do bypass, he was going to give me one (ooerrr) about 4 yrs ago (long story).

Maybe they are going to review the reductil after three months as it can cause an increase in blood pressure, which it did with me!

As for the slieve i thought (as did someone else) that this was for people with a really high bmi and was considered a safer option than a bypass, and usually the first step of a bypass.

Here's hoping he doesnt jump through too many hoops... xx

Firstly Mazza Mr Super DOES do bypass, he was going to give me one (ooerrr) about 4 yrs ago (long story).

Maybe they are going to review the reductil after three months as it can cause an increase in blood pressure, which it did with me!

As for the slieve i thought (as did someone else) that this was for people with a really high bmi and was considered a safer option than a bypass, and usually the first step of a bypass.

Here's hoping he doesnt jump through too many hoops... xx

Thanks Julie

Yes the sleeve is usually for peeps with a higher BMI and can then lead to a bypass but more and more its being performed as a stand alone procedure. Less intrusive than the bypass but on the limited stats available patients 'can' do as well.

We were just told that Mr Super favours bands not that he doesnt do bypasses, as his BMI is under 40 that maybe what he gets put forward for- but who knows? lol

He was told that an injection on trial for type 2 diabetics can cause high blood pressure but because his at the mo is normal or as they said good they have put him on reductil.

As for the hoops who knows, there could be many and they could be high but he will get there in the end x x :D

Back