• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

One Year On ... 9st9lbs lighter ... Pics and epic

flutterby1966

I have reached my one year surgiversary and am giving an update which will hopefully give other banders the confidence to believe their hopes and aspirations are achievable. Sorry if it's a long story but hopefully the before and after pics at the end will inspire if nothing else does!
I have had an unhealthy relationship with food for forty years eg from my primary school days when I remember my mum sewing up the pockets on my clothes so I couldn't fill them with sweets; to never being able to leave a half-opened packet of anything un-finished; loving BOGOF bargains of grab bags of chocolates (didn't I just hate having to eat both bags on my way home); to my biggest downfall BREAD and anything that could be put on top of it to taste even yummier.
I have yo-yo dieted and messed up my metabolism over those 40 years. But at the end of the day, the only person I can really blame for my weight is myself. I was the one who ultimately made the decision to put too much of the wrong food in my mouth too often.
It took me two years to take the plunge to go for a band. I had to be in the right head space to be prepared to be honest with myself and to want to choose the best new behaviours. After all, I always knew what I should be doing, but just chose not to do previously!
So one year ago (16July) I had my band fitted. I chose to take control over my life. I was not ill, but wanted to do something about my morbid obesity, before those weight-related illnesses started to creep up on me. Didnt apply for nhs funding, as i didn't fit criteria. Great experience with my provider and all the support I needed, when I needed it. I had done lots of research through the Internet and particularly this forum, where i found the support and guidance of other losers invaluable...big thank you all!
I am now 38-29-37 losing over 12 - 14 inches from each of my vital statistics. In this past year, I have gone from a size 26 to a size 12 and achieved my target in less than 9 months.
Having lost 135lbs, I am tbh just a little lower than I want to be, but I am now trying to find my optimum consumption to be able to maintain. MFP says 1730 cals a day and I am gently increasing my cals up to that over the next month or so.
Don't get me wrong, i still have my food treats as well as non-food related treats - but away from home so i dont have temptation sitting looking down on me from my kitchen cupboards. I do have the odd alcoholic drink but not often, so i dont get the alcohol induced munchies thank goodness. I will always prefer to eat rather than drink my calories. I have focused on band-friendly foods, protein of c 60-80g per day, and lost most weight on an average of c1100 cals a day. I don't concern myself over carbs/sugar/fat levels particularly ... Because I have found what works best for me as an individual. I do eat small amounts of pasta and rice and the things i struggle most on are green leafy veg. All meats are fine so long as cooked till tender or chewed very well. So i reckon my choice is not limited too much. Never had bad chest pains when eating. I eat out 3-4 times per week, and the band hasn't got in the way of my enjoyment of food, but then I have never reached 100% sweet spot. I reckon I would need another 1/4 or 1/2 mil to do that. But I am perfectly happy as I am.
If I am honest, I have tweaked my lifestyle rather than make any massive adjustments. I eat a little less volume and eat more of the right type of foods, don't do any particular exercise strenuous exercise regime, just walk my dogs more often and for longer and do a bit more gardening. I want this to be a sustainable lifestyle change rather than a quick fix.
The best bits of having a band ... having control and losing my excess pounds. Biggest change which surprises me ... I do miss being able to eat platefuls of al dente vegetables but I don't miss bread! The worst bit ... I cannot think of anything. What I would have done differently ... Nothing, I wasn't in the right head space earlier in my life. My favourite words ... Focus (planning ahead, and setting mini goals are helpful); Positivity (think about what you can have, rather than what you can't, or what's going well, rather than what's not), Balance (treats are ok in moderation, but you cannot have your cake and eat it every day, if you know what I mean), Honesty (don't be in denial. Face up to what you are doing and if you plan ahead, you can enjoy, guilt-free); and Enjoyment ... No need to explain that one :)
My Advice GO FOR IT ... LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR REGRETS AND WHAT IFS!!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Attachments

• image-2295622517.jpg
    image-2295622517.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 686
You look amazing, thanks for sharing your story, my surgery date is 27th July and you have really given me hope for a better life 12 months from now :) Thank you x

You look amazing, thanks for sharing your story, my surgery date is 27th July and you have really given me hope for a better life 12 months from now :) Thank you x

You CAN do it. Wishing you all the best. That's the great thing about this site. I am sure 100% of people will be rooting for our newbies whichever route they choose x

Absolutely amazing achievement, you're an inspiration to all wlsers! Looking back I wish I'd spent more time getting my head together before I had the op. like you did instead of trying to do it along the way - although I know I'll get there in the end. Well done again, you're looking great! (p.s thanks for the support you have given to me and others too) xxx

Absolutely amazing achievement, you're an inspiration to all wlsers! Looking back I wish I'd spent more time getting my head together before I had the op. like you did instead of trying to do it along the way - although I know I'll get there in the end. Well done again, you're looking great! (p.s thanks for the support you have given to me and others too) xxx

Thanks Mel. We are all learning still i am sure. It'd be a very boring existence if we all knew everything at the start of this journey. To be heading in the right direction is the most important thing ... And you are x

Well done Michelle. You now look like a different woman.

You were one of my inspirations when I first ventured onto this site at the start of my band journey.
You've progressed and just got on with it without self-agrandisizing fanfare (I think I just made that word up) and are a shining example of someone who has made the band work for you.

Maintaining is the hard part now; good luck going forward.

What a wonderful story, really sounds like you've got your head screwed on right now which is what I always admire most about success stories like this. You look fantastic too. A true inspiration :) x

Huge well done bander buddy! It's been great sharing our journeys this last year, you done great and your new pic is fab xx

Truly an inspiration, you look absolutely amazing.

You have started your journey ... Look forward to seeing your achievement too :D

Well done Michelle. You now look like a different woman.

You were one of my inspirations when I first ventured onto this site at the start of my band journey.
You've progressed and just got on with it without self-agrandisizing fanfare (I think I just made that word up) and are a shining example of someone who has made the band work for you.

Maintaining is the hard part now; good luck going forward.

Awwww I am really blushing now. Thank you. Ps where do I find a body like your avatar ... Do they really exist anywhere else apart from in my dreams? Thank goodness i am happy with my 'not so 100% perfect' Mr W :0chacha:

@ shelleymarie ... Look how well you re doing so far. That's great, keep up tithe good work
@ preetypee ... anyone can do it. ... Hopefully this will motivate just one more person to grab the opportunity to work with a fantastic too to make themselves successful too.
@ Jo ... Thanks bander buddy x ... Not sure if you are like me, but tbh I just want the attention to go now, so I can carry on the rest of my life. I do feel really proud of my weight loss achievement but there is soooo much more about me, I don't feel the need to discuss my weightloss and how much food i eat every time I see someone ...

Last edited:
What an inspiration! Thank you for writing this post, it's inspired me that it will happen to me too! I'm banded and losing weight after a month stall but very slowly. I can't wait to put my story up some day!! Thank you and WELL DONE!!!!!! You look amazing x

Wow truly inspiring!:worthy:

It was just what I needed to read - I'm hoping to get a band in the next 4 - 6 weeks and I know that I'm just starting the journey but it really helps to read about other people's journeys and their successes.

I really enjoyed reading your story, cant believe how fast you have lost so much weight, well done :)

Back