• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Possible slippage

mrsstreet

So I was admitted to Poole hospital on Monday with upper abdo pain thought to be gallstones which they confirmed but they then started quacking on about my band so wanted to check it. Turns out on an X-ray it looks horizontal as opposed to diagonal - but I have no band slippage symptoms - I of course called healthier weight as soon and they have been great at telling the hospital the tests to do and saying they will look at them...... BUT..... The hospital are being awful (doctors not nurses) basically saying I should be back under my providers care..... Which I'm happy to do once they diagnose it's definitely the band because I'm not sure and not everything abdo will be the band surely.

I've been left nil by mouth for 4 days and I'm so upset and sensitive with the pain and medication....

So my question is, has anyone had a slippage and if so what were your symptoms?

I am finding the same with my investigations with the horrendous acid issues and that although I dont feel its down to my band, the GP etc seems reluctant to accept that its anything but the band. HW (I'm also with them) will now be taking it further and I will have to have my xray check etc with them, which I'm hoping will be done at the same time that I have my leak investigated.

When I started having issues with my band and I asked HW if it was possible that it had slipped they said to me that the symptoms would be
~ pain behind the chest bone area
~ inability to eat foods because the slippage would prevent food passing
~ acid reflux and acid issues (this was what made me wonder initially if mine had slipped)

I think that they can be all too quick to put everything down to the band, of course there's a chance that it could be, but the GP or doctors etc need to rule out anything else and that is what I'm battling with, with mine.

Thank you so much topkat! It's horrible what you're going through! I really hope you're able to get it sorted asap. You're my band inspiration!!

I have pain below my ribcage so a lot lower, was able to eat and drink fine and no acid issues. I had a good cry and aired my upset this morning to the ward nurses and I've had 2 apologies from doctors (I overheard a conversation saying they shouldn't even be getting involved!!)

I also really don't think it's my band and I do often think we sometimes know what it isn't in our own bodies.

Also it's alarming how ignorant so many medical professionals are about wls.... I was told that they would let the air out of my band valve!!!?

From what you say, that doesn't sound like band slippage at all - and if they have found gallstones then why are they assuming that its band related anyway - how darn bizarre.

I know some people get a lot of pain below the ribs on the left hand side, due to placement of the tubing from band to port and that sometimes this can be very painful as its attached to muscles. I know someone who is suffering this way 12 weeks out from surgery as the muscles aren't accepting the tubing so she's in a lot of pain, but you're right, a lot of people and medical professionals are ignorant about it and I would not be letting anyone near me who wanted to let air out of my band LOL

Do hope that you get it sorted and if you have any concerns at the hospital contact PALS :)

How are you doing? :)

Hi top Kat thanks for asking so sorry I didn't reply! Well the hospital came at me with gas and air and a needle to 'deflate' my band..... I refused, they did a CT scan and seen it isn't the band at all. I had an adhesion in my intestines! I was really poorly for a few weeks but the last 2 days I feel almost brand new!! Apparently I also have gallstones but they said they would be more concerned if I didn't..... How nice!

The doctors were appalling and really fobbing me off, the nursing staff were incredible and even came to apologise on behalf of the doctors more than once.

Have you had any news about your situation?

so glad you're going ok.

I've had a complete defill, now on my 2nd week of it being empty! But got to now find out about the leak, but we are giving it time to allow my acid issues to be resolved, as it is, I've not felt restriction anyway so I'm just eating the same as I was. Sticking with away and still losing altho slowly. Started a 6 week personal training sessions last week and noticing a real change in shape too :)

Hi ladies
I just read both of your stories, just wanted to wish you both well, and a speedy diagnosis so they can deal with the issue

Please keep us updated x

I really hope the acid dies down for you, you've done incredible I'm still always in awe of your progress.

Well done on the training too, I've been seeing a pt 4 times a week for about 7 weeks now and the shape changes are amazing and he's really working with me on my fear of food too and the more I eat the more I'm losing! X

wowee girl what a nightmare, cannot believe trained proffessional medical staff would do that to you! See my mums said i should ask my midwife about the issues im having with my band to see if the nhs wuld sort it out i dont have the heart to tell her i would probably have the exact same treatment as u! x x

Back