• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post bypass hiccup help

Perissa

I had my op late on thursday and ever since I've had intermittant hiccups. Its sort of the hic without the up. Trouble is that it is very painful.

Mr Byrne is not at all concerned and says that it does happen in a few patients. Its because my diaphragm (sp?) is irritated and that it will pass. I used to ge hiccups quite a lot any way, always have. They used to last ages - longest ever was 2 days anyway I digress.

Its hard to explain but the best way really is to say it is the hic without the up. My diaphragm spasms which is intensly painful but only for a second or two. It usually happens in two's, as in another one follows the first one within 20 to 30 seconds. Then nothing for anything up to an hour, although when it is really bad it can be every 5 minutes.

Any idea how I can sooth my diaphragm?

(I will tell all in a proper thread)

not sure on that one sorry! Only thing I can think of is lots of really deep breathes pushing your tummy out to try and stretch your diaphragm as much as possible.

don't blame me if it makes it worse though :giggle:

It does settled down although i still do get it if i overeat or push myself. try sipping warm water it seemed to help me x

I suffered from GERD (a type of acid reflux) pre-surgery and had the most painful hiccups. The only thing that worked was to sip someting warm and try not to swallow much air when drinking/eating. DON'T use straws as this makes it worse. Try and stay away from very cold items, too. That's my advice, hope it gets better for you.

Back