• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POST BYPASS WEIGHT LOSS

RED RED WINE

Hello, can anyone tell me why I would not be losing weight at all after a gastric bypass? I am 11 days post surgery and feeling fantastic. Apart from not feeling hungry, I don't feel as though I have had any surgery at all. I am drinking a pint of semi skimmed miik throughout the day, I am eating a can of Baxters Healthy soup liquidised throughout the day and then eating occasionally a Muller lite yoghurt or a Skinny Cow ice cream stick. I seem to be averaging about 500-600 calories a day but my weight is exactly the same as it was when I left hospital 8 days ago. Can anyone see what I might be doing wrong here please?

i wouldnt worry sometimes it does take a little while to kickstart the progress although you may not be loosing weight you would be loosing inches. did u measure yourself before your op?

my friend had exactly the same as you but then it started to drop off. Please do not worry

julie

Thanks Julie, no, I didn't measure myself I 'm afraid. I just go by the scales as I have done all my life!! I am feeling so despondent as my surgeon told me I will have lost at least 2 stone by the time I see him again and at this rate it's just not going to happen!!

Hi,

I was exactly the same, in the first 2 weeks I only lost about 3lbs and that was towards the end! Olsbols put on weight after the op, close to a stone if I remember right.

Don't worry, just carry on as you are and it will soon start moving. Also, don't weigh yourself every day, try and set a weekly weigh in day and stick to it.

Welcome to Mini's :D

Hi red wine

Looks like you happy with the replies.
Ill just back the other 2 to by saying the same thing.

The body has seen your taking in alot less cals so its shuting down . its just part of the human body defences.

Give it another week and you will be looking around the floor wondering where the hell all the weight is going.

Good luck with it all and when it starts going let us know :D

Hey red wine,

Just wanted to say, drink as much liquid as you can. I drink 1 1/2 to 2 litres a day. Dehydration can be a problem after the surgery.

Like Frosty has said, just remember, your body has been through a huge shock, and it probably thinks you are starving it right now, and gone into a mode where it is holding on to everything! Don't worry, it will soon sort itself out and realise you are not starving and the weight will drop:D

Regards,

Kel xx

Hi weight loss following the bypass is good some weeks and poor the others. You need to give your body time to recover and the weight will start to shift!!!My husband banned the scales from the house as you can become obsessed (i always have been anyway)

Keep positive the weight has to come off and you will soon start seeing the benefits of your surgery. keep me posted on your progress x

Thankyou all... my husband said exactly the same and has hidden the scales so I can only get weighed once a week!! I will keep coming on here for support and will let you all know how I get on.

Thankyou all... my husband said exactly the same and has hidden the scales so I can only get weighed once a week!! I will keep coming on here for support and will let you all know how I get on.
Glad to hear you only gonna weigh yourself weekly. honestly you will see the benefits. look forward to seeing your progress x

Hi
Just wanted to say I'm feeling pretty much the same. I am 3 weeks out tomorrow and apart from a brilliant 22lbs down in the first week or so (5.5lb was pre-op diet) I havent lost a thing since!! I know I'm pretty much doing the right thing though so I know it's gotta happen sooner or later!!

I did put on a t-shirt I havent worn since pre-op today though and it is massive!! Felt great and my wobbly bits don't feel quite as wobbly as they did before so somethings coming off.

I;m sure on a few weeks we'll be posting on how much we have lost so try and keep positive (I know it can be hard!)

Cx

Hi,
just to back up what others have said on here, I put weight on after the op but it came off really quickly after a week or so. I dont have anyone to hide my scales so I chucked them out and only use my mums now once a week the max Im allowed on! Let us know when the weight starts to drop off because it soon will. xx

I think if you read some of the diaries on here you'll see that lots of post-op-ers go through the OMG I'm not losing weight panic, and most of them then confess to going on the scales (atleast) once a day! Getting that down is the first step, and your husband is spot on. You know in your head that you are eating far less calories than your body needs, so the weight will come off. Just be patient, it didn't go on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight either ;)

Back