• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op - Sugar in Tea/Coffee

ICAWM

I have been researching surgical options for many years. I think I know the pros and cons of each procedure but now I'm getting to the nitty gritty.

Inevitably I have tried just about every diet going from WA and SW to meal replacement diets. I like the lack of options with latter although the thing I missed most was sweet milky coffee.

So my question is, do any of you still have sugar in warm drinks post bypass?

I use a non Aspartame based sweetener :) I never add sugar to ANYTHING! x

No I'm almost 2 years post bypass and don't add sugar to any drinks post bypass. I sometimes use Agave nectar but it's very rare.

I'm getting the feeling that you're looking for a reason to as sugar to your drinks. My advice - liquid calories are doom for a post topper. Don't do it!

I don't sweeten my tea or coffee, but my husband uses stevia which has zero calories. Would that be an option for you?

Stopping sugar in coffee is my greatest anxiety. NAS squash, water, no fizz, no alcohol are all fine. I've never been able to find an acceptable replacement to sugar in all my years of dieting.

I know that tastes often change with surgery, but can't depend on that.

I'm curious to compare with previous sugared tea/coffee drinkers for their experiences. If other forum members didn't have sugar before then it's no comparison if they don't now, likewise if they were using sweetener beforehand.

I'm full of rambling questions as the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer and larger after never thinking I'd get there!

Its quite expensive, but apparently tastes very much like sugar. Its made from a plant, but has zero calories and so obviously no carb content. I wouldn't know as I've never had sugar in tea x

I hate stevia, and all artificial sweeteners. I still have sugar in my tea and coffee, but I make sure I log it and amend whatever else I eat that day to make sure it fits into my calorie and sugar allowance. I am 8 months post sleeve and down to 10 stone and a size 8/10 so I don't think it's done me any harm really.

I hate stevia, and all artificial sweeteners. I still have sugar in my tea and coffee, but I make sure I log it and amend whatever else I eat that day to make sure it fits into my calorie and sugar allowance. I am 8 months post sleeve and down to 10 stone and a size 8/10 so I don't think it's done me any harm really.

Sugar doesn't affect sleever's in the same way. You still have your intestines intact. A gastric bypass does exactly what it says on the tin. It bypasses most of your small intestine, so our body's don't process our food in the same way. Hence why we dump on sugar and fat, as it's not processed when it reaches our large intestines.

My advice would be to avoid sugar at all costs. Once you've experienced dumping syndrome once, I can guarantee you won't want to experience it again.

Sugar doesn't affect sleever's in the same way. You still have your intestines intact. A gastric bypass does exactly what it says on the tin. It bypasses most of your small intestine, so our body's don't process our food in the same way. Hence why we dump on sugar and fat, as it's not processed when it reaches our large intestines. My advice would be to avoid sugar at all costs. Once you've experienced dumping syndrome once, I can guarantee you won't want to experience it again.

Sorry, I didn't see this was on the bypass forum! Will teach my right for using my phone! Interestingly though my surgeon did say that a small percentage of Sleevers can dump, and it has happened to me twice (but after something with a high fat content rather than sugar).

I stick with saccharine - despite being criticised it is a zero calorie sweetener.

Actually sleevers can dump! I have a couple of times - with high sugar foods. I admit it doesn't happen as often as with bypass patients but we still have a small pouch, which can decide to dump its contents into the large bowel pretty quickly! A small amount of sugar is fine - a whole piece of sponge cake is not!
I learned my lesson very quickly after that incident!

I was a 2 teaspoon of sugar gal pre WLS and I have tried ALL the sweeteners! I really didn't like any of the plant based sweeteners. The only one I now like and will have in a brew is ASDA's own brand sweetener lol its £1 a jar and tastes quite nice with no aftertaste :)

Back