• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet - NHS Slimfast Day 2

Stacey83

I started my pre-op diet yesterday. I have opted for the NHS Slimfast diet.

Yesterday started as normal, I was full of energy and ready to go but by mid afternoon I was dizzy, my thoughts were all over the place and I had to leave work early. I was in bed by 7pm (normally I'm a midnight girl) and having slept all the way through I am feeling a little better today.

I have noticed I am going to the loo all the time and my wee is really dark and has a very strong smell. I have upped my water today as I don't think I had enough yesterday and I would appreciate any feedback from anyone else who has done the slimfast diet on your side effects and any handy hints.

So far I have discovered that if you have black coffee made with a splash of vanilla slimfast it tastes like a Starbucks caramel latte! A handy "hack".

i tried slim fast it went right through me had to change to milk and yogurt with any of the choices though the first 3 days are hard by day 4 you start feeling better good luck with your journey

These are all the side effects of ketosis. Completely normal and they will be better after 3-4 days.

Day 3 update - today I feel much more like myself and I have lost 2KG - guessing this is water weight from not having starchy carbs to hold it in. Still weeing non-stop.

I was living in the bathroom almost thats normal

Oh dear, it really doesn't sound fun. My surgeon recommends slim fast for the pre op diet, I'm so not looking forward to it. How are you doing a week further on?

Ginny

Hi ginny,

I've been on the slim fast pre op diet for a few days now and it's not as bad as you think it's going to be. I've been having:

B- shake
Mid morn - banana
L- shake
Mid aft- snackajack (figured they'd be ok as they're less cals than their bars they say to have)
D- healthy meal on small plate under 600 cals.
Supper - coffee & one of their choc bars.

I've been able to stick to this relatively easily.

Good luck! X

My slimfast diet is the liquids only NHS liver shrinkage diet - 5 slimfast shakes a day (bottled ones only) sugar free jelly and a stock cube. It's been challenging but my surgery is tomorrow and I've been on the diet for 15 days and have now lost a stone so on track!

Mrs Ducks, wish I was allowed carbs! Would kill for a banana!

My dietician didn't say to avoid anything, she just said to follow the slim fast regime they way they advise - I hope I'm doing it right!

Congrats on loosing a stone though, that's fantastic, you must be really chuffed with that! X

I'm also want to opt for the slim fast option, I have to be on it for 3 weeks. I was just wondering what type of stock cubes have you all been using for the "salty drink".

I used the knorr chicken and vegetable ones, they had more flavour than the oxo and I looked forward to my stock each day! The knorr is strong enough to make 2 drinks from one cube.

So what do you do? You simply crush it and add hot water.... Is there a desired amount of water?

Yep, you literally put the cube (or half a cube can then stretch to 2 drinks!) in a mug with boiling water and stir it until it's dissolved.

Back