• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-Op Fizzy Drinks

NT1977

Did anyoone else have a bit of an addiction to fizzy drinks pre-op? I currently drink up to 2 litres of diet coke a day, I literally drink it with my breakfast :( I do know this has to change and from monday (4 weeks pre-op) I am going to stop :eek:

I am dreading it to be honest, much more than the milk diet. just wondered if anyone else had been like this and how they coped with stopping?

Nx

Yep I did, but it was for the fizz not the drink. I always drank sugar free though. I started weaning myself off it well before my op. if I'm honest, I still miss the fizz, but I'd rather be thin, fit and healthy. So in the grand scheme of things, it's a small thing to give up for a better life :)

I did hun, I was exactly the same. I drank diet Coke all day and nothing else. It was very difficult
I have to confess but I quit before I started my pre op diet so I had plenty of time. 8 months or so since I had my last and i swear I don't miss it. You can do it! You just need to find substitutes so you have something to drink. Still flavoured water from Morrisons is great (other supermarkets do these fizzy, only in morrisons I could find still ones) and although I've never been keen before, I quite enjoy no added sugar squash with lots of ice (only with lots of ice, otherwise still pretty boring) orange&mango is my favourite at the moment and I really like the summer fruits one from sainsbury's too. Powerade zero is lovely, it's still with a mild berry & tropical flavour. If I want something a bit thicker, I have a j2o which now comes in small cans as well as the bottles and also Trop 50 juices are lovely with half the calories. J2o and Trop 50 still have more calories than I like in my drink but its nice to have every now and then. When I go out I either go for a small dry white or a rose and my trick is adding ice to my wine :p it lasts longer hehe. Good luck, I know you can do it! I feel like if I've done it anyone can! X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yes bad addiction too but I knewI wouldnt be able to drink them from my 1st rd with hosp so I stopped cold turkey............until saturday just gone i thought i will have just the one before i start my pre-op after 6 months without and guess what I hated it pmsl it was awful tasted of chemicals rather than the refreshing sugar free fruit juices ive beeb drinking. Good luck you can do it. xx (ps sainsburys budget range double concentrate jucies are really nice :) )

I also was addicted to coca cola,I drank about 10 cans a day,it was the only thing I would drink,I saw my surgeon in sept 2012 and he said I had to stop drinking it and set me a target to lose weight before op.i wanted the op so badly,so I just have it up the same day and have never looked back,I don't miss it at all.i am now nearly 6 mths post op and have lost nearly 7 and half stone.

Not every provider "bans" fizzy drinks post band - mine certainly doesn't. I used to drink lots per day, although it was always "diet" version. I do sometimes have a bit now, although not very often, it has helped on a couple of occasions to help dislodge some stuck food including last nights steak lol

My provider is happy for you to drink it in moderation i.e. two times max a week post-op but I don't think I have the self control so have decided that this is something that needs to go for me for good.

I don't mind suger free juices so will stock up on them and J20 is a good option for when I am out and about

Hi I was addicted but don't miss it at all. There are lots of nice squashes you can have. I all or nothing so total quitting was the only solution.

Hi, I stopped the fizzy drinks just over a week ago in prep for my op. so far I haven't missed it at all but I have replaced it directly with a diluting juice addiction.

Last edited:
I love Robinson's squash so this isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!! allowing myself one a day for this week and then next week none!! I will feel rich by the end of the week lol

I found still flavoured water in sainsbury's yesterday, must be new. Tried mango & passion fruit, not bad but it tastes a little artificial! X

I found still flavoured water in sainsbury's yesterday, must be new. Tried mango & passion fruit, not bad but it tastes a little artificial! X

Asda do a really nice raspberry and green tea still nas water :)

Ooh good to know thank you! Will try it ASAP :)) x

Did anyoone else have a bit of an addiction to fizzy drinks pre-op? I currently drink up to 2 litres of diet coke a day, I literally drink it with my breakfast :( I do know this has to change and from monday (4 weeks pre-op) I am going to stop :eek:

I am dreading it to be honest, much more than the milk diet. just wondered if anyone else had been like this and how they coped with stopping?

Nx

I drank up to four litres of Pepsimax a day pre op but knew that after my surgery it was a no,no so I replaced it with Volvic sugar free flavoured water. Horrible but necessary if you want to give yourself the best chance of success

Thanks Karlos, thats why it's going to be totally banned, i know its a trigger thing for me!

Back