• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein - how much?

cah-ching

How many grams of protein should we be aiming for each day?

Also how do you count your protein?

In fact if you had a pie chart what would the percentages for daily protein/carbs/fat look like?

Just curious?

I guess I should as this in the general WLS section, as this is beneficial to all WLS'ers but no one goes there any more..... :eek: :p

I don't measure mine, but usually find that half of my meal is protein, then veg with a small amount of carbs (if any). I have 2 main meals per day and I also have milk/yoghurt with breakfast and a milky drink for supper. If I get peckish I usually have a small amount of cashew nuts which are a good source of protein. I do try to eat a lot of protein as a while ago my hair started falling out and it scared me. How much do you usually have? xx

I don't measure mine, but usually find that half of my meal is protein, then veg with a small amount of carbs (if any). I have 2 main meals per day and I also have milk/yoghurt with breakfast and a milky drink for supper. If I get peckish I usually have a small amount of cashew nuts which are a good source of protein. I do try to eat a lot of protein as a while ago my hair started falling out and it scared me. How much do you usually have? xx

I don't measure, but I think I have way too much carbs. Eat a lot of tangerines & bananas. I'm scared of nuts (for the same reason I'm scared of apples).

typical day for me:

Breakfast: oats with SS Milk for breakfast topped with seeds & dried cranberries

Mid Morning (if hungry or bored [I know I know! :eek:]) tangerine / satsuma

Lunch - bulghar wheat based salad with edamame beans, cucumber, grapes, scallions, chicken or salmon (if I make it myself).

5pm ish - banana (before gym)

Dinner - calmon or chicken with bulghar wheat (prefer to cous cous), veg; sweetcorn, cauliflower, carrots or broccoli.

I tend to protein load as much as I can and avoid carbs as much as possible. I do not eat bread of any kind. Post op I have had rice once - and I managed to find some brown basmati which was good. My body seems to react better the less carbs I have. I have no idea how much I have in a day but when I am not having to do the regime on the 4 weeks after fills I tend to have a one egg omelette for brekkie with cheese usually light babybel or cathedral city light, lunch will be prawns, fish sticks or tuna with salad and I will have a meat or fish with vegetables with a main meal. If I have fruit it will be a banana or a couple of satsumas or tangerines with lunch. It is about finding what works for you.

tranquil x

Dont you just wish they done a protein pill which had you full days intake in it????

Im a meaty person, so when im on solids it will be eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch and chicken / turkey for dinner.
Ive got a few atkins diet recipie books here which are all high in protein....ill just make sure they are low fat too.

Hi Tam. I am a carnivore at heart - I love fish and meat and find a where I have that and veg my body seems to prefer it. I lost loads of weight in the past on Atkins - I too am looking at low fat variations which I will stick to for life.

tranquil x

I try to make sure i have mostly protein at each meal except breakfast really saw detician sat and she suggests i try having fish for breakfast so that i am getting protein in each meal so gonna try salmon with poached egg??:)

Also i try and log my food daily on my fitness pal it tells you all the nutritional values every day cals carbs fat and protein so each day i aim for low carb low fat 1200 cals and high protein:)

The old general bit is in the process of being emptied out CC, and we have just got to be patient for Pierce to generate the new areas where things can be sorted into properly as and when he can get to it.
Hopefully everyone can just pardon our dust in the meantime x

I don't count protein as I already count calories, I guess it's common sense in a way, looking at what you put on your plate and having the protein as a large proportion and the veggies as the other half at least.
Then something very small portion low GI (this is google-able if you don't have a book etc) for carb content (to eat after the protein and veg if you're really hungry)

I was so confused seeing the dietcian she said they don't advocate counting calories and eventually would like me to stop keeping the food diary and she also said to try and aim for 1500 calories a day no lower than a 1000 been averaging between 1000-1200 the last 2 weeks but to do this i have to count my calories as i would be under every day. i have quite good restriction and find myself having fat free yoghurts etc to boost the calories and protein seems to be working so will stick with it
:)

I think when it feels automatic and natural for me to be able to look at what I'm having and know it's the right stuff and the right amount, I will eventually stop calorie counting. Ultimately that's what is going to happen when I learn the new eating habits and feel comfortable enough that I am no longer eating emotionally.
That is obviously the ideal and I don't see any point in having a time limit on that.
We have to use our surgery in the way it works for us personally, if you need to calorie count as a means to help learn portion sizes and keep on track then don't feel bad about it.
If you can instantly manage your food intake without calorie counting, then be grateful for it and enjoy the journey.

I am going to try and lose the carbs for my evening meal from now on. Carbs are for releasing energy so it seems better to have them earlier in the day and keep the last meal of the day light and carb free so as little as possible goes to fat stores ( if you eat something that releases energy when you're all done exercising for the day, what's it going to be doing?)

I am the first to put my hand up and say I do not count calories - too much like the 'd' word for me and I am trying to get away from that. But I do use myfitnesses pal if I trying something new and want to see how many calories are in it. I want my brain to register I am not on a diet just eating regular healthy food. Ultimately you have to do what is right for you - whatever gets each and every one of us - regardless of the surgery we have had - to goal.

tranquil x

I am the first to put my hand up and say I do not count calories - too much like the 'd' word for me and I am trying to get away from that. But I do use myfitnesses pal if I trying something new and want to see how many calories are in it. I want my brain to register I am not on a diet just eating regular healthy food. Ultimately you have to do what is right for you - whatever gets each and every one of us - regardless of the surgery we have had - to goal.

tranquil x

I don't count calories either, but I do like to see how many calories I've burned when I'm exercising.

Back