• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Proud mum alert ....

Lincs Lass

... and a VERY nervous mum alert.

I'm sorry for writing something so 'my-family' centered and probably rambling but this is the only place I can put it as my son sees things I post on Facebook.

My 15 year old (was 15 in October so in year 10) will be heading off to Arua in Uganda in the morning. They have to be at the minibus at 2.30 am in the morning, aiming to head off at 3.15am (he is currently in bed). Their flight from Humberside to Amsterdam is at 6.30am and the Amsterdam to Entebbe flight leaves 11 am local time. They are in a hotel in Entebbe tomorrow night and then fly to Arua early0ish the next morning.

While they are in Arua they will be helping at a school, prison, hospital and (if permission is granted) they will be putting up shelters in a refugee camp as there are a lot of refugees from South Sudan in northern Uganda.

They are due back in our town late Easter Sunday morning.

I am soooo nervous. I know they would not let the trip go ahead if there was any risk. They are staying at a YWAM base run by a chap from our town and his American wife and they have 2 small children so they are happy to have their family there. But it is 4,000 miles away - not just a couple of hours by train.

They kids going are so fired up for this and I know they will work their cotton socks off (just like they have pulled together in every fund raising event they have been involved in.

While I am excited for them and hope they have a fantastic trip, a part of me is already counting down to them getting home xx

Awe I bet he will have a fantastic time but you will worry the whole time he's away, bless you xx

He will have a great time Sue ..you on the other hand will be a huge bundle of nerves till he gets back nothing is going to change that ;) and you have every right to be so proud of him hun :)

Thank you ladies.

So far so good. The flight from Humberside to Schipol landed early. The flight from Schipol to Entebbe is currently boarding.

Congrats on having such a lovely son - I can't imagine many 15 year olds boys doing this kind of thing. Of course you'll worry - it would be weird not to, but it seems as though everything is in place to keep them as safe as possible. Hope the time flies by for you, and that they all get back safe and sound xx

I can just imagine how you must be feeling Sue. From being little boys I hated when anyone mentioned school trips as I was always terrified they would wander off near water or the bus would crash !!!! It doesn't get any easier as they get older though does it? Please God he'll have a wonderful time and you'll get some more grey hairs xx

you are right to be proud and also nervous but he is doing such a great thing to help those less fortunate and he will be home before you know it

They arrived in Entebbe last night - arriving at their overnight hotel just after 9pm our time - 11pm their time.

The flight from Entebbe to Arua took off at 6am our time - so with the excitement I bet little sleep was got! - and are due to reach their final destination at 7.20am our time.

The group leader is texting the curate with a daily update and I'm really excited to hear all about it :-D

It was absolutely AMAZING.

They spent time in the local town meeting people and being the centre of attention, playing football with kids and chatting with adults. Visiting the local schools and taking lessons .... and playing football.

They got permission to stay at a refugee camp nearby. They spent two nights there and spent their time putting up shelters for new arrivals, talking to people who lived there ..... and playing football. In fact the UNICEF guy that runs the camp said that most groups of European/American people that visit the camp just turn up and observe while my son's group was the first one to pitch in and get their hands dirty (bearing in mind the camp has been going for over 5 years). As a result the organisation that my son's group were visiting (YWAM) were welcome at the camp anytime.

On the second Monday they were due to visit another school but it was exam day so instead they cut down trees and built pot racks for local people - my son who usually cackhanded like his mother apparently had the best axe skills.

On the Tuesday they did go to the school which has a combination of deaf and hearing children so they spent time with both groups of children putting on drama and teaching ...... and playing football.

Wednesday was a harrowing day - they visited the local hospital and spent a lot of time on the TB ward which was full to the gills with men, women and children. The disease doesn't just attack the breathing but in it's extreme form can cause paralysis (which I had NO idea of) so it was very difficult for our team but they kept their emotions hidden and spent time sitting with people talking with them and praying with them.

On the Thursday they had a day off and went on safari and had an absolutely epic time seeing giraffes, hippos, crocs, lions and LOADS of Ugandan buffalo. It was one of those idyllic expeditions that you see pictures of with people sitting on top of landrovers as they travel along surrounded by animals (not lions at that point!). Lunch was next to some really picturesque waterfalls.

On the Friday they returned to the hospital to give out food parcels. The Uganda people are so humble they struggled to accept them as they felt they weren't as badly off as others.

Now, I have my views and beliefs on this but I totally respect anybody who has differing views so I will let people make up their own minds on this one. On the Wednesday my son and his friend Ellie were sitting with a woman who had been paralysed with TB for 4 months. She asked them to pray for her recovery. On the Friday she walked up to them to greet them. There is no way this could have been set up but whether it was a coincidence, answer to prayer, her just needing somebody to take time with her - I will leave that for you to know your own thoughts on - but it was a very emotional time all round.

The thing it is not possible for me to get over here is the warmth and friendship and just pure love they received from the Ugandan people - both those on the YWAM base and those they met around and about. They were invited to eat at so many houses and the hosts were just as grateful that their invitations had been accepted as our team was to have been invited.

While at the refugee camp they were invited on the second night to go to a part of the camp 'inhabited' by a specific tribe where they were entertained with drumming and dancing. And they had many evenings like this on the base too.

It truly was a life changing experience for them all (and my son who was exactly 6' when he went away is now 6' 1" !!)

I think it was his heart growing, that made him taller. I told you he was a credit to you. faith is an amazing thing if you believe you can get better you will. Just like the lady you mentioned. I really do not think you need fancy buildings for prayers to be answered. what a truly wonderful story I wish there were more people like you son around. Thank you for sharing xx

Last edited:
what an amazing account, my heart just swelled just reading it and he is not even mine!
I hope he and his friends have made such a HUGE impact on the life of all those humble people they meet and to take that feeling away with them
you and all others reading your post will be very very proud of your son and his friends

Back