• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions about dumping!!

Dell

I mean those of you who dump, obviously :D

I'm curious when you first dumped, how often and what your triggers are.

Terrified of dumping, not ecen 100% what the signs are, just know I don't want to ;)

Followed all the rules and was fantastic. Let it slip once where I had some pineapple pieces in juices, I just never gave it a thought. 14 months after the op!!! My first and only dump!

mixxy i thought it was harder niegh impossible to dump with a sleeve?.....................

mixxy i thought it was harder niegh impossible to dump with a sleeve?.....................

If you read internet forums, you'd believe that but I've always stuck with what information I was given right from the start. It's exactly the same rules for the sleeve and bypass given in the Sheffield area.

oo ok thanks... i wonder how that worked tho as the bypass bit isnt done... hmmm

am i repeating myself mixxy? :rolleyes:

Never done it, had a slight wobble early on but not real dump. I think sugars dont affect diabetics like others xx

I dump big time on sugars.

Has happened twice really badly and both times on yoghurt.

I ate the yoghurt fine, then suddenly get very hot, and my hands get shakey. I feel quite sick, but haven't vomited, lightheaded, dizzy, shakey all over and very tired.

On both occasions I have just about made it into bed to sleep it off.

The second time I dumped I made it to bed and was shaking so much that I basically passed out. My partner couldn't wake me for a good hour, I was out of it and he was really panicking.:rolleyes:

Mixman,

I'm at a loss as to how a sleever could ever dump. The process of dumping is in relation to the bypass itself ... nothing is bypassed with a sleeve ... your stomach is just sliced off. Even my surgeon and dietician say you can't dump with a sleeve. Are you sure the information is the same (for bypassers and sleeves) because 1) encourages wls patients to stay away from calorie laden sweet stuff 2) sleeve is usually the intermediate op before the full bypass so it encourages patients to get into a good habit

I'm not doubting you Mixman, just asking the question given I have it on my own research about the sleeve. I know you followed stuff to the letter but i just wonder if the PCT just duplicate stuff for bypassers and sleeves because the rules are essentially the same.

I'm do not personally believe sleeves are capable of dumping, it's physiologically impossible surely?

I dumped for t first time about 2 weeks post-op (I think) on a petit filous fromage frais. I was very nauseous, dizzy and faint and had to lie down. Since then I've discovered I dump very easily indeed....either by eating something with a high sugar content ie petit filous, NAS Angel Delight, etc....

...or by eating something fatty ( a tiny piece of pork crackling on Sunday) a fat dump feels different, I get a distinct pain in my tum/pouch/intestine and have abdominal crampin and feel very sick/washed out.

....or by eating/drinking too fast eg milky coffee, no sugar....the dump from eating too fast is much more like a sugar dump.

I haven't had any really catastrophic dumps but I think that's because I've realised how easily I dump and am now extraordinarily careful. I would NEVER risk something with a rally high sugar content now!

I've dumped from fat a couple of times but will not be giving myself anything to test out the sugar dumping theory as it freaks me out... if its true that diabetics don't sugar dump then I need to steer clear to avoid old bad habits!xx

I think I may have dumped by drinking about 100 mls of milky coffee too quickly, I was in a rush and drank it much more quickly than I normally would have...result = felt really rotten, hot & sicky, followed by an hour long visit to the loo, during which time I threw up a few times too. After about 2 hours, it passed...would have loved to have laid down but I was at work at the time so couldn't...I was told I was positively green!

Newly post op i would dump on all carbs.....Cereal, bread, potatoes etc, so only ate meat and veg cos they where safe, But after a while i tried again and was able to handle small amounts.......I can now eat almost a full slice of toast with no problems.
I dont dump on sugar xx

Thank you all so much! I was told you dumped on sugar, but wasn't aware of fat....or eating too fast! I thought these just made you sick.

Will be aware of all that now, I think I have very mildly dumped on too much jacket potato of all things?!

Back