• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions for Sleevers AND Bypassers

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
A while ago I suggested to my HR manager (foolishly) that I could consider taking 3 weeks of annual leave instead of sick leave after my surgery. I have a very poor sickness record and was trying to minimise the damage.

I have since realised that I cannot afford to use up that much of my annual leave.

The hospital says they sign patients off sick for 2 weeks at the time of the operation, and then any more than that is down to the patient's own GP, so I am now thinking of trying to take only 2 - 3 weeks of signed off absence (and not the full 6 weeks of sickness if I can avoid it).

1. How many of you did return to work 2 weeks or 3 weeks after your surgery?

(my job is totally sedentary, by the way, stuck at a computer all day long -- no need to do the math to work out how this has affected my obesity over the years -- ha ha !!!)

2. After the 2 week period, if I am still in pain and need to get my own GP to sign me off for longer, I am debating whether to get a key cut to the front door of my flat and leave it with my Doctor's surgery in case my GP needs to do any "home visits" post op ...?

If I don't get a key cut my options will be either:

(a) to hobble down 2.5 flights of (difficult, steep) stairs to the high street, walk 1/3rd of a mile to the GP surgery, walk back 1/3rd of a mile and hobble back up the 2.5 flights of stairs to my flat above a shop; or

(b) call the doctor out to me BUT still have to hobble up and down the 2.5 flights of stairs to let him in (there is no door entry system -- the landlord will not allow one).

Do you think my GP surgery would (a) accept taking a key ..... (b) even remember they had it and to use it if I did call the doctor out for a home visit ???

I work in a primary school and went back to work 2 weeks after my bypass, I was perfectly fine was a bit cautious case any kids ran into me but luckily they didnt. I'm not sure a doctors would accept a key you would have to talk with someone at ur GP surgery xx

Hi Sharon,

Can't you leave the key with a friend or family member? Who would you call if you were unable to care for yourself? Who's going to care for you when you come home from the hospital initially? I think you should talk to Kirsten and see what she suggests.

Best of luck, and I'm in Islington if you need anything.

Can't you leave the key with a friend or family member? Who would you call if you were unable to care for yourself? Who's going to care for you when you come home from the hospital initially? I think you should talk to Kirsten and see what she suggests.

My family live 110 miles away in Dorset and could not give two stuffing figs about my operation (really -- don't even ask more about that).

I have a few friends in London who are at the end of a phone and able to drive and live within 10 miles and can pop round if needed.

I work in a primary school and went back to work 2 weeks after my bypass, I was perfectly fine was a bit cautious case any kids ran into me but luckily they didnt. I'm not sure a doctors would accept a key you would have to talk with someone at ur GP surgery xx

Thanks for that. Pleased to know at least one person went back to work after 2 weeks.

The other alternative if I needed to call my GP out for a home visit might be to ask the GP to get the shop keeper in the convenience store to open the door at the bottom, which leads to the flats.

I was back working at a desk at home on the Friday after the operation on the Monday. I went into the office for meetings the following Wednesday (so 9 days) and then back to driving an hour to the office from the Monday. My job is sedentary but I do have to walk from one building to another for meetings quite often. I had no problem at all returning to work.

My surgeon has said that I will only need 1 week off work. My job involves no lifting but is working with teenagers in sometimes hostile environments.

I am 3 weeks post op and was feeling really well at the weekend - and have to say if I had a sedentary job, I probably would have felt ok to go back to work.

However I did too much in the sunshine at the weekend and have burst the incision next to my belly button ! Which is very annoying...

One other thing to remember, it that it does not really matter if you take 2 or 4 weeks off sick - it will show as one episode won't it?

I am sure you will be fine, I live alone and managed ok on discharge, just make sure you have done all your planning before you go in to hospital, make sure you have all your shopping, and a pair on barbecue or kitchen tongs to pick things up off the floor when you drop them - that's the only thing that made me go Grhhhhhh !

Good luck xx

i went back after 2 weeks i alos work at a schoolbut a secondary school and i was fine just made sure i lifted nothing was fine just need to be able to get your breaks for food n drinks it'l be fine luckily mine was in August 4 th week of school holidays xx

Hi

I was ok to work one week after my bypass, although I do work from home, but I was still ok to do office work, at home or at another location. The only issue would have been driving as you are not supposed to drive for 2weeks after surgery, although again I was fine to drive after a week.

The main issue you have is that everyone is different and you won't know how long you need until you have had your opp.

Paul

I had mine done 10days ago and planned to go back after 2 weeks off, I feel great and would have been able to, but when I told my boss what I was having done she insisted I had 6 weeks off and wouldn't accept me before, love my boss to bits lol.
Also I live with my disabled mum and I made sure I did 2 weeks shopping for her and I had enough for 2 weeks the day before my op and did all the house work etc, and when I came home she hasn't need to help me at all as I have been fine and I still help her!

Hope u have a pain free fast recovery x

I had an open RNY (PCT only funded for that - I didn't care) and was prepared to return after 4 weeks, 3 of which were annual leave I'd saved up. Unfortunately my wound opened quite badly after nearly 4 weeks, and I had to take another 4 weeks off as although my job isn't especially physical (I manage a care home), it comes with risks due to the nature of the client group.
The company were very helpful (wasn't expecting them to be if I'm honest), and were even more so on my return. My sick record was good for over 8 years but I had been off sick for 9 months in 2010 with physical and emotional problems.

My GP surgery were incredible and the district nurses were a God send. Ask them (and your employer),what they would be prepared to do to assist you and you may be pleasantly surprised - I do hope so :)

Regardless of anything else, the surgery will be the best decision you will have ever made and your life will be turned around in ways you can only imagine. Mine has only 4 months down the line. I wish you all the best and a happier healthier life post-op :)

The surgery if done keyhole doesn't have a long recovery time, I was defrosting and cleaning my freezer within a week, and I could move up and downstairs freely within a couple of days. The thing you have to be careful of is lifting, so make sure you do your shopping before you go in. I live in a 3 storey ouse and the stairs were never an issue. I actually helped dress someone the same day of my op. It's not as bad as you fear I promise.

mariew said:
The surgery if done keyhole doesn't have a long recovery time, I was defrosting and cleaning my freezer within a week, and I could move up and downstairs freely within a couple of days. The thing you have to be careful of is lifting, so make sure you do your shopping before you go in. I live in a 3 storey ouse and the stairs were never an issue. I actually helped dress someone the same day of my op. It's not as bad as you fear I promise.

Thanks for that Marie. Very reassuring post :)

Thanks, Marie.

I do have plans already to do all my household grocery + cleaning stuff items a few days before my op + as much liquid / mushy / puree type food as I can stock up in advance.

My problem with stairs is probably more to do with the osteo-arthritis in my knees and hips -- I already struggle hugely getting up and down the stairs to my own flat ...... so was figuring that post surgery it would most likely be even more difficult.

But as long as someone can get me up the stairs and into my flat after the surgery ..... I then intend to stay there for at least 7 - 10 days as I dread those stairs already.

I returned to work after a week and a half off although i prob could have returned after a week, i am office bound so not much physical activity.

Back