• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions for sunderland people

minnieme62

Hi I have a few questions for people who are getting or had surgery at sunderland my minds doing over time thinking about things I've been doing so well not to let it take over my life but this week it has so my first question is I have an appointment 28th of this month and wanted to know what to expect at my last appointment I seen the nurse and dietician who set me a weight loss target and also what is the next steps please save me from thinking of wls all the time lol thank you

Last edited:
Hi, I had my surgery at sunderland in January this year. I just wanted to say....firstly.... that it is quite normal to think about the process a lot, I would worry more if you were not thinking much about it.
Secondly... if you take a look at my signature I have listed what happened at each stage for me. We all can take different paths so it may well be different for you but it will give you an idea. If you feel better knowing what to expect at each stage (as I did) I would advise you to ask the people you see at each appointment what to expect from the next stage. I did this each time and they were great at explaining and putting my mind at rest about what was likely to happen.
Good luck for your appointment, I hope it goes well for you x

Just had my surgery last week, my journey was longer 2 years almost as I started losing weight and they were happy to delay moving forward to see if I could keep losing on my own but its different for everyone as sunshine100 says.
What I can remember 2nd appointment was with one of the registrars to talk about your options and answer any questions you might have, write them down!

Hi, I had my surgery at sunderland in January this year. I just wanted to say....firstly.... that it is quite normal to think about the process a lot, I would worry more if you were not thinking much about it.
Secondly... if you take a look at my signature I have listed what happened at each stage for me. We all can take different paths so it may well be different for you but it will give you an idea. If you feel better knowing what to expect at each stage (as I did) I would advise you to ask the people you see at each appointment what to expect from the next stage. I did this each time and they were great at explaining and putting my mind at rest about what was likely to happen.
I have my 2nd appt on the 26th of this month and hoping i've done everything possible to lose the weight asked of me at 1st appt. Cycling 10miles a day should help hey? lol. Not looking forward to the gastroscopy as my gag reflexes aren't good.

Good luck on ur WL journey all

Hi did u stay awake for gastroscopy? I think i'd need to be put to sleep.

HI ladies I had my bypass at SRH 4 years agon on Aug 20th. I can remember the appointment in the main query here, Mr Balupuri discussed which op he thought best suited me and and answered any questions or worries we had. It took 2 years from the start of my journey to the op. A long time but this op is not a quick fix its a life changing event and yes the 1st year is fab when the weight drops off then the hard slog starts. I have managed to regain 2 stone of my 10 that I lost but still so much slimmer than I used to be. I was always large but never had any major illneses only bad chest now and again. I started this journey as a size 32-34 and am now 20-22 Did get to an 18 but could not sustain it.

I would do this all over again. I still dump on occasions and wish to God I had never tried anything sweet again. So my advice is especially if you have a sweet tooth now stay away fromsweet things don't even looka at them the cravings are worse than we had pre op. Ohh I can't eta anything like I would have once had but its strong and I managed nicely without them for about 9 month before introducing themback on a small scale so STAY AWAY. I have had little or no issues apart from constipation which is a nightmare. I DO HAVE THE ODD BOUTS OF BOWEL COLIC however I manage to control them with buscopan.

The gastroscopies someone mentioned above I did both with just throat spray. The 1st one wasn't too bad its not great but you know its a step closer. Then unlucky forme I had to have a2nd one done I cried my eyes out when I got that letter. I endured 1 did not think I could endure 2. After THE 2ND I WOULD ADVISE SEDATION. My 2nd was awful felt like I didn't have enough throat spray, I did say so but he said it was fine he was really rough and it lasted a shorter time than the 1st one. I complained when I came out. My parent shad driven me there and back home I have at least 40 minutes drive by the time I got home I was cold and shivering I am sure that I was in shock. I had a hot bath and went to bed for a few hours before I felt like myself again.

Good luck with all ya journeys no matter what stage you at. Don't fall down where I did head up and move forward. x

Hi Sjwood, I was given my weight loss target at my first appointment after seminar. My second appointment checked my weight loss, talked through any questions I had and then listed me for Gastroscopy as I had hit my weight loss target plus lost quite a bit more. The weight for Gastroscopy was about eight weeks from my second appointment.

I would not worry about having lost more than your weight loss target. I asked if I lost lots of weight before surgery would they cancel it and they said no, the more lost the better for surgery. I never had an issue losing weight it was keeping it off that was my major problem and I think they understand that.

Loving the loop - How are you feeling after surgery? The first few weeks on puree food were troublesome for me but its much better once you are allowed soft food.

The Gastroscopy is not a good experience. I stayed awake and had he spray. It is your bodies natural response to get the tube out. I gagged from the moment it went in but they were quick and very good at talking you through it. Mine lasted all of about two and a half minutes. They take a biopsy while they are in there which feels a little strange but I felt no pain.
I opted to stay awake because my letter stated that the DR would not be able to let me know the results on the same day if I had ben sedated. I think that is to do with giving them permission to list you for surgery when you might not be 100% with it. However, they were seeing people with results after sedation. If I had to do it all again id opt for staying awake, it was not nice but it was manageable for me. If you are worried by it I would opt for sedation.

Back