• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommended daily fat intake?

mandym1

Does anyone know what the recommended daily fat intake is?

My fitness pal has me registered for 11g which seems very low. Ive only had a weetabix and half a bowl of tomato soup and I'm already up to 8g.

When I was on xenical I was limited to 12-15g a meal and no more than 45g a day the usual was 60g I think. So 45g as s max as we are low fat, sugar& carbs but high protein.

Just got this off a packet of crisps LOL

The average woman needs 70g of fat daily

My fitness pal doesn't take weight loss surgery into account but that does seem very low, But thats how diets work the lower the fat the better

My fitness pal says 40 grams of fat......

Just got this off a packet of crisps LOL

The average woman needs 70g of fat daily

My fitness pal doesn't take weight loss surgery into account but that does seem very low, But thats how diets work the lower the fat the better

I understand the lower the fat the better but 11g over a day seems far too low. I dont know where it got this figure but I have been messing with my goals to take into account WLS, so maybe I put it there by mistake. Oops!

Hiya does anyone know the daily carb allowance for a woman on 1200 calories ( roughly), my fitness pal says 165 grams a day which seems a lot too me, tried googling it and keep getting told all different amounts lol - thanks in advance for reading x x

Hi Julie, I was playing with the figures on my fitness pal before and it works on percentage. At the moment I have mine set at the following,

Carbs 40% = 100g
Protein 30% = 75g
Fat 30% = 33g

If you change 1 of the above then the others automatically change. I dont know if this is correct but its as accurate as I can get it based on all the information I have read.

I dont use my fitness pal.
I eat what I want to, when I want to.
My body does the restriction for me. I can't eat too much fat or else I will dump, cant eat too much sugar for the same reason, and can't eat more than I should of anything because it is too uncomfortable to overeat. I don't have much of an appetite for carbs the way I did pre op. So I am happy with the way my body is 'talking' to me.
When I had my op I had decided on the bypass because I didn't want to be bothered by checking everything I ate for cals/fat/carbs etc, that is just as bad as being on a diet and obsessing about what you eat, in my opinion. So now I am happy with the way it is working for me.
I'm not suggesting for a min that anybody else should do it this way, just wanted to contribute to the thread.

PS My surgery was the end of March. Bypass with gall bladder removal.

Lynne x

Totally understand that Lynne. I never thought I would be doing this but when I found fitmess pal I thought I would use it as a tool to keep an eye on my nutrition. I'm sure it wont last but its something for me to do while I am off work and It is teaching me what is in the things I'm eating and how many calories I'm getting in etc.. When I'm back at work I'm sure I wont get time to keep it up x

Some very good points there Lynne.
I'm pre-op and using it out of interest to see what the daily calories add up to. I will use it after my op I think, to monitor my protein intake until I can get a proper idea of what I need to get it in. I'm finding it a good educational tool. For example, I had no idea Bovril had so much protein in it. Or any for that matter !

I dont use my fitness pal.
I eat what I want to, when I want to.
My body does the restriction for me. I can't eat too much fat or else I will dump, cant eat too much sugar for the same reason, and can't eat more than I should of anything because it is too uncomfortable to overeat. I don't have much of an appetite for carbs the way I did pre op. So I am happy with the way my body is 'talking' to me.
When I had my op I had decided on the bypass because I didn't want to be bothered by checking everything I ate for cals/fat/carbs etc, that is just as bad as being on a diet and obsessing about what you eat, in my opinion. So now I am happy with the way it is working for me.
I'm not suggesting for a min that anybody else should do it this way, just wanted to contribute to the thread.

PS My surgery was the end of March. Bypass with gall bladder removal.

Lynne x
I'm with ya lynne, i really don't want to get caught up in the recording of calories, fats or whatever. I understand it helps some people and that's great but it isn't for me. I'll listen to my body and it will tell me how i'm doing i'm sure x

Back