• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recovery times

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys

What are the average recovery times for banding & bypass?

How long after op in Hosp afterwards & how long til back at preop strength??

Just wondering how long OH would have to be off work with the kids.

Thanks Linzi.x

I'm having a bypass and my doctor told me no heavy lifting for a few weeks. However as a woman/mom we know it doesn't always work that way.

I'd suggest to you that you do as much preperation beforehand so that your husband doesn't need too panic too much. When i say preparation i mean stock up the freezer and cupboards so he doesn't need to worry about shopping. Make sure the kids routines are written down e.g. after school activities/what time school finishes, all the stuff you usually do in fact....

Good luck and i hope someone who had surgery where you are having your surgery comes on and answers your questions xx

Hi Linzi

I think the average time depends on a number of things; the operation, the hospital, your own recovery etc.

My hospital only keeps you in over night if you were drinking free fluids and reletively pain free. But there are others that keep you in for up to 5 days.

My Surgeon said I would probably be off work for 2 weeks after the bypass. But my GP won't sign me off until all my incision sites are healed, as one's infected. Now in my 4th week off!

I had a bypass and was in hospital for 3 days after surgery. Hubby took a week off work (including the time in hospital) which was plenty. When he went back to work the kids were at school during the day so all I had to do was rest and take care of myself. The housework got a bit neglected but I could manage to take care of myself after a week.

I took 4 weeks off work altogether. Hope that helps.

I'm hoping to be back to work after 3 weeks. I know I have to give myself chance to recover, but I'm a teacher and trying to minimise the impact on my class.

I went to the hospital on Friday and this is what I was told.

Some people go back to work at 2-3 week stage but some are not ready to go back until 6-7 weeks so it is very individual. But you have to be careful lifting things.

She asked who would be around to look after me afterwards and said hubby. She went on to tell him that I can be left on my own just he needed to be around in the morning and at night times. Also that I wouldn't be able to lift even the kettle.

Hubby intends to save his holidays for when I have the op but might encourage him to only have a week off otherwise he won't feel any benefit from the time off work because he would be running around after me and doing all the housework. I have to admit his mum trained him really well and I am a very lucky lady.

I was told that I will be off work for 4weeks and that I cannot drive for 6 weeks. I am going into hospital on a Wednesday and told I will be kicked out on the Friday but not sure

I had a bypass on a Thursday and was out on the Sunday. Hubbiw took 2 weeks off but I sent him back to work in the middle fo the 2nd week cos he was driving me nuts!!!! I got signed off for 6 weeks. Well my GP asked me how long I wanted the sick note for and work had already said I could have 6 weeks full sick pay,so I'm taking advantage of it! I'm now 3 weeks post-bypass and apart from a slight tugging on my left side, I'm doing ok. Like most people have said, listen to your body - thats your best indication how you feel. I'm using the opportunity to increase my activity (who would have believed I could get enjoyment from walking after all these years!!!) and allowing my body to heal. It also helps that my urine infection has gone - that was nasty!

As Gail said above our hospital keeps you in overnight and I was back to work after 2 weeks. I was on reduced hours, and no heavy lifting for a few weeks after that! My partner took a week off with me and the 2nd week I spent at my mum and dads, however I dont have children so didnt need the extra support like you will hun

HTH xx

I had my bypass on Friday and was home on Sunday. My hubby took Monday off to help with the kids and he was back at work (and living 3 hours away) as of Tuesday. I have toddler twins and an older child as well. I was driving 2 weeks after my op.

Hi

I had a gastric band on a Saturday morning, home Sunday morning. Nurse at GP's on Friday who said it was ok for me to go back to work after the bank holiday monday. I was in the office for the rest of that week then back to driving here there and everywhere the following week. I was a private patient and took 5 days annual leave.

Maz

Hi I have been told I will be able to come home the same day (having a band fitted) not sure what the recovery will be like as they all say each person is different.

I had op on a Friday sent home on Monday. Had an infected scar and had to have district nurse out for nearly 2 weeks to clean and pack the hole. Had 10 weeks of work

Back