• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recovery times

pollybree

Hi I am curious about the recovery times after a gastric band/bypass. I dont want to take any sick time off work, I was just going to book a fortnight off in holidays, do you guys think thats enough?? :confused:

It all depends on your job really. What do you do for a living? If you don't mind me asking? For example I had my bypass on 23/9/12 and I work in a stroke rehab team. I went back to work after three months, on a phased return and I was on admin duties for 3 weeks and then light duties. I've only just returned to my full clinical duties and I'm not permitted to handle any very heavy patients for another 6 months.

Thanks for your reply, I work in an office so just sitting all day, the most strenous thing I lift is a cup of tea!!

You will be very tired though. It took me two weeks just to feel barely normal. You may want to consider taking some sick leave. Are you having a band or bypass?

I would like a band but either will do! Suppose its up to the doctor really. I dont think they will be too chuffed if I take sick leave, I was told by my gp that I could take the whole time as sick but I dont want to lose my job!!

They suggest that recovery time post band is 2 weeks. I was fine to return after 5 days, a little sore but am office based and would have been perfectly ok. As it is, I was actually off for 10 days due to school holidays. 2 weeks should be perfectly adequate - I felt a bit weary in the first couple of days, but after day 3 was back driving, walking lots each day and doing normal stuff - certainly didn't feel very tired.

I had my Mum in Law to stay for two weeks (including the time I was in hospital) during which time I got stronger and stronger. My surgeon advised not driving for two weeks after surgery too so consider transport etc. I am nearly at 3 weeks post op and am doing almost everything but hoovering (I can feel it pulling inside and I son't want to pop a hernia!) and lifting. I am more tired than usual but am coping well. I'd have thought you might get away with two weeks if everything goes swimmingly but 3 weeks and you'd be sure. Good luck.

sorry submitted that before id finished! i had a bypass and was off work for 6 weeks, i was absolutely wiped out for the first fortnight, i suffered a wound infection and was on anti bitotics for a fortnight too, i went back to work once i didnt feel the need for an afternoon nap and was on on solid food, this felt right for me.

Thanks dellymolly, I am really after a gastric band as I know the bypass is alot bigger of an operation and the sooner I get back to normal the better. I will speak to the consultant when I see him, so many questions to be asked!!

Why not go for a sleeve? I've had the sleeve and took 2 weeks annual leave then back to work :) good luck in what ever u choose

Hi Hope, I am a little bit scared of the sleeve and the bypass probs due to lack of knowledge, where did you get your sleeve done?

Do some further research into all of the procedures and see which one suits your eating habits best. Then discuss it with your team at your appointment :)

Hi Hope, I am a little bit scared of the sleeve and the bypass probs due to lack of knowledge, where did you get your sleeve done?

Hi, sorry for the late reply I've been at work. I had mine done at Sunderland. I see ur going to Darlington. I have friends who are having surgery there soon. We have a meet each month at Darlington u should come along and have a chat to everyone would be great to see u :)

Thanks hope, I would love to come, I work weekdays though but I could definatley make a weekend day xx

Thats great it's on a Saturday! If u watch out we have a thread on here called chat and wls Darlington. We meet at the cafe above the dolphin center at 10.30 there are some people meeting on the 23rd of this month, I can't make that one but the next one after is 9th of march. It would be great if u could come xx

I will have to consult my sat nav for the dolphin centre, i live in chester le street and dont know Darlington whats so ever, would still like to come through though, I wont be able to make 23rd either but the 9th is good for me. Where has this year gone already? My seminar is on the 26th of Feb so I will have plenty of questions to ask, they said its usually 18 weeks from seminar so they move fast at Darlo!!

I will have to consult my sat nav for the dolphin centre, i live in chester le street and dont know Darlington whats so ever, would still like to come through though, I wont be able to make 23rd either but the 9th is good for me. Where has this year gone already? My seminar is on the 26th of Feb so I will have plenty of questions to ask, they said its usually 18 weeks from seminar so they move fast at Darlo!!

Do u every go shopping in Darlington? It is easy to find I was worried I wouldn't find it the first time but I did. I live in crook, I work near Chester le street! Yeah Darlington do move fast xx

Back