• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reflux sufferer; which op?

It does sound like that, and fits in with whats been happening stress wise. You have to find a way to destress, easier said than done i know. I can see how you would think its acid reflux as some of the symptoms mimic it. Print off this info and show it to your GP, see what he says. Good luck anyways :fingerscrossed:

Kim

Does anyone have an opinion as to which op i should have? Also, Lamornamiss's thread about NSAIDS has thrown me, as i had presumed i would be fine taking NSAIDS following a sleeve, but apparently i would only be able to take them for short periods. My arthritic mum takes them permanently, they are the only things that keep her mobile. Although recently she has had stomach problems from them.

Oh sweetheart I didn't mean to upset you.
I posted that list because there are a lot of people who don't realise that NSAIDs can cause major problems and what medicines they are in.

I have probably missed it but why do you take NSAIDs? Do you use them on a regular basis?
I suffer from arthritis in my hips the pain stopped when I was about 3 months post op.
Then my hubby decided to buy a tent and go camping. The pain is now back and I am going to see my GP next week to discuss what I can take for the pain.

Talk to your surgeon about the best thing for you.

My hubby also suffers from really bad reflux and Lansoprazole and omeprazole don't work for him. His Gastroenterology surgeon has prescribed him some different PPIs much to our GPs disgust as they cost way more than the others

Oh sweetheart I didn't mean to upset you.
I posted that list because there are a lot of people who don't realise that NSAIDs can cause major problems and what medicines they are in.

I have probably missed it but why do you take NSAIDs? Do you use them on a regular basis?
I suffer from arthritis in my hips the pain stopped when I was about 3 months post op.
Then my hubby decided to buy a tent and go camping. The pain is now back and I am going to see my GP next week to discuss what I can take for the pain.

Talk to your surgeon about the best thing for you.

My hubby also suffers from really bad reflux and Lansoprazole and omeprazole don't work for him. His Gastroenterology surgeon has prescribed him some different PPIs much to our GPs disgust as they cost way more than the others

Hi Wendy, you didnt upset me, just made me think. I had picked the sleeve because if i end up like my mum, crippled with arthritis, then i would need to take nsaids. They are about the only thing that keeps her going, but she is now having gastric problems because of them.

I have taken them in short bursts for tennis elbow, but so far i havent needed to take them long term. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

So, i need to have a rethink about surgery. If i cant take nsaids anyway, it removes one of my main reasons for picking the sleeve.

Hope you and your hubby feel better soon! xx

Hi Mazza, this is really interesting, it really does look like a half wrap (plication)! So he had the surgery for GERD, but lost weight as a result? Or had the fundoplication for weight loss and it corrected the GERD?

Here's a pic;
http://www.mayoclinic.com/images/image_popup/mcdc7_fundoplication.jpg

Yes my orthopaedic surgeon told me about this when I explained the wrap procedure to him. He said they would merely have to do a longer plication to cover both problems. He thought it would be a brilliant idea

Last edited:
I never used to suffer reflux or heartburn until I had Gastroplasty and mr Khan put me on lanzoprazole and have been on them for over 20 years now with no adverse affects after reading this and hoping for bypass looks like whoo hoo maybe another pill off the list to come

I have never had reflux but post op sleeve I was allergic to laprozole & omniprizole & developed very bad reflux. I was hospitalised twice & had a stricture which was easily dealt with a stretch via endoscopy. No regrets about sleeve, nearly 5 months post op 7 stones lost, no major reflux probs now.

Hi peeps. Just thought for all those suffering with reflux. Do you all make sure you take it first thing in a morning on an empty stomach. I had problems until one of my colleagues at work suggested this and I've never looked back. Still on ppi but it works.

My surgeon advised me to have the bypass as this was the best option........ since having the bypass i have not suffered at all with acid reflux......................... good luck xx

Back