• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scared to death...

This guy was thoughtless when he told you what had happened

I can't remember if I said it here or on another "worried about surgery" thread, but I have the suspicion that hospital-organised WLS support groups deliberately pick scare stories.

The first WLS support group I went to had a "motivational talk" by someone who could have been the poster child as to why a psych visit is required pre-surgery. Since having the surgery she wouldn't eat hot meals or drink cold drinks and was mostly living off of coffee. I don't mean in the "I like my coffee too much" sense, I mean the "I'm only drinking coffee as as a result my internal organs are now failing" sense.

Han and I walked out in disgust; it's absolutely true that she looked great but she had put herself at a higher risk of dying that in she stayed obese. We weren't the only ones; someone there was due to have their surgery the following week and couldn't believe they would put someone at the front of the room that was such a bad example.

Regards, Ade.

I think everyone should understand that there is a risk in having surgery and the horror stories we hear are few and far between but for most of us it is the only way to regain our lives.

We have had a couple of people who have told us their horror stories on here (Bonita for one) BUT I don't think any of them would have changed anything that they have done, and I don't think it has put anyone else off having surgery.

At the end of the day WLS is a major surgery and thing can go wrong but a majority of us have had surgery and had no major set backs

Just make sure all those people who say its the easy way out hear every horror story going and one day they might understand we don't do this for the fun of it LOL

We have had a couple of people who have told us their horror stories on here (Bonita for one)

I've done a search for threads started by Bonita but I can't see a subject like that looks like a horror story is contained within. Do you have a link?

Regards, Ade.

Ade Bonita is no longer a member here and hasnt been for some considerable time so I dont think you will find her posts (I may be wrong though!). She used to post on the weight loss surgery section of Minimins when we were over there.

Tray, its perfectly natural to be so scared, especially as we get closer to surgery.

This person was unkind to go into details about what went wrong. It would have been sufficient to say there were complications and then to ask if you wanted to know more, but Im a believer in knowing all the risks.

What happened to him his highly unlikely to happen to you. The anaesthetist will be used to dealing with obese and morbidly obese patients and will ensure you are sufficiently sedated to not have a clue what is going on and certainly not to feel any pain. As for puncturing his intestines, its a small risk due to the nature of the operation, but statistically, now it has happened to him, the chances of it happening to you are less.

Please try not to worry. Think of how many posters we have here and you can count on less than one hand how many have had serious issues with their surgery or their recoveries.

Good luck hun x

What happened to him his highly unlikely to happen to you. The anaesthetist will be used to dealing with obese and morbidly obese patients and will ensure you are sufficiently sedated to not have a clue what is going on and certainly not to feel any pain.

Fully agree with what she's saying here, they're professionals and know what they're doing. If, however, on the day of the surgery they ask if Timmy the Work Experience lad can do your surgery it's probably a good idea to politely but firmly decline.

Regards, Ade.

Back