• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Signs of dehydration?

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Woke up feeling a bit poorly today:
- Head spinning and could not focus my eyes on anything for a few hours.
- Skin flaking
- 2 spots on chin when i haven't had any for years
- blood shot eyes
- dry mouth with horrible taste
- very strong urine and only going 2 or 3 times a day
- constipated

Don't I sound attractive? LOL

Does this sound like dehydration people?

Really struggling to drink more than 1/2 a litre of water a day. Can't stand squashes anymore as I took them into hospital and they now remind me of being sick.

Does anyone know what happens if I can't up my fluids? Terrified of going back into hospital but feel a drip might be in order soon!

If I am dehydrated and am able to up the fluids does anyone know how long it takes to start feeling better?

Also, any tips on liquids that I might be able to tolerate better would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks everyone x

Pinch the back of your hand and see if the skin goes back down fast if it doesn't then that can be a sign of dehydration. Maybe ring your team and ask them.

Hmmm...it's still quite pingy actually but I've always had quite elastic skin. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought though. Unless it's something else?

BTW...been ringing team all day but no reply :( Will keep trying though.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to give you some advice. Keep sip sip sipping in the meantime.

Woke up feeling a bit poorly today:
- Head spinning and could not focus my eyes on anything for a few hours.
- Skin flaking
- 2 spots on chin when i haven't had any for years
- blood shot eyes
- dry mouth with horrible taste
- very strong urine and only going 2 or 3 times a day
- constipated

I would say your symptoms are definatley a sign of dehydration as I suffered my dry lips, dry skin and constipation after the op due to lack of fliuds so please remember sip sip sip.

Try having warm drinks like hot chocolate(options ones), ice lollies(no added sugar ones or morrisons own traffic light lollies are good), or perfectly clear water as the taste is only subtle and doesnt taste like juice. (dont have volvic as its full of sugar).

You can also have warm milk as thats protein as well.

I promise once you get your fluid intake is up you will feel a lot better. It took me about 3 weeks to get a litre in so please just sip sip sip.

Definitely dehydrated. Natalie's advice is spot on, but if you still don't improve fairly quickly you ought to seek medical advice.

Rose

Hi there, you must increase your fluids even if you really do not want to. It's not a case now of wanting, you need to or you will end up back in hospital on a drip.

If you can double your curent intake with whatever way you feel most comfortable with then do so.

The effects can be almost immediate.

Just so you know a person can last over 40 days without food, but only about 3-5 days without water.

So if you are saying that you are having to sacrifice fluids as you are unable to manage them because food is filling you up, maybe up the fluids for a few day and lower food intake, just so your body recovers.

Gosh, i hope you feel better real soon... The ice lollies sound like an excellent idea, let's face it you won't feel like your drinking but you will be.... Have you tried hot squash? It's not as gross as it sounds, i very often have one if it's a bit chilly..

Good luck with upping the drinks xx

If you really cannot manage anymore drinks try making and eating lots of sugar free jelly. This is what my dad was advised to do when ill.

the darker your wee the more your dehydrated.

Thanks everyone. Been feeling much better the last few days. Managing to up the liquid slowly with all your tips! Stocked up on jelly, ice poles and a wider variety of squashes so let's hope it improves from here.

Thanks all x

I hope you continue to feel better Lisa. The only way I could get anywhere near the fluid amounts in at first was to literally carry a water bottle with me everywhere. Those cycling sports style ones are perfect.
take care
Sandra x

Just out of my op I could hardly drink any fluids at all and I was almost permanently slightly dehydrated. The squash I used to have pre op, just tasted of sweetners post op. I found that I could quite happily drink Asda's Good Stuff Kids Juice Drink cartons. they're 250ml each so that's almost half a pint. I tried many different cordials and drinks before I found one that I could tolerate. I also had the no added sugar lollies which were easier to consume than just drinking.

Hope you manage to increase your fluids soon xx

Back