• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve in Belgium November 2016 ......

Hello everyone, what a great website for support and reassurance. Is anyone else having a gastric sleeve around my dates - would be good to have a buddy for encouragement and support. Most of my family and friends think I'm mad; they just dont understand I need to do this for me.

Hello, welcome and good luck! Your surgery date will be here before you know it :)

Hi wannabe! I'm having surgery on Nov 17. Second time round for me. Seems the first one (sleeve) two years ago wasn't done tight enough. What dare are you?

Hiya Maggy, Oh dear, sorry it didnt work properly first time for you and that you have to go through it all again. Im interested to know what went wrong - are you having the same surgeon; has he agreed he didnt make the sleeve small enough for you? I havent come across this problem before, have you?

Hi there

I'm a newbie November sleeve too! Mine is 2nd so week today eek! Time is flying and so much to prep, doing homework and revision and house clearing. 31st will be shopping for post op so getting a lot of tips here.
Why do your family think your mad? Is your BMI low? What's mad about trying to save years of life from diabetes sleep apnoea mobility problems and much much more? I am lucky I have 100% support of this is right from my mum...it is just me that is fighting with myself as I need to be here for my son long term hence major reason to avoid the decline I started to face in my 40s.

Hi there

I'm a newbie November sleeve too! Mine is 2nd so week today eek! Time is flying and so much to prep, doing homework and revision and house clearing. 31st will be shopping for post op so getting a lot of tips here.
Why do your family think your mad? Is your BMI low? What's mad about trying to save years of life from diabetes sleep apnoea mobility problems and much much more? I am lucky I have 100% support of this is right from my mum...it is just me that is fighting with myself as I need to be here for my son long term hence major reason to avoid the decline I started to face in my 40s.
Hiya, woow only a week to go for you; are you nervous? Be sure to keep us informed how you're getting on as soon as you're fit enough to go online!! My BMI is only 31 so I dont have too much to lose. But regardless of how much (or little) I have to lose, I still feel unhappy with my weight. I've dieted (successfully) on several occasions throughout my life and had great results which have left me feeling really good and confident. But I have never been able to maintain it and I end up putting it all back on and feel really bad about myself because I know how good it feels to be slim. To add to that I've got a few medical conditions (although nothing too serious) which would definitely improve if I lose weight. Anyway, all the best with your surgery next week! Keep in touch!!

All the best Want2b3!!

Perhaps we should start a November 2016 surgeries thread. I'll see if I can set one up and let you know on here.

As for my previous surgery, apparently the sleeve probably wasn't tight enough. They won't be sure until they go in. According to my surgeon - not the one who did the first op as they've retired - there are many different ways to do the sleeve. The way most surgeons do it now is that they use a bougie (not sure what that looks like but basically a guide for the stapling) but they can choose to use different sizes of bougie to get a tighter or looser sleeve. Apparently, the smaller the bougie, the tighter the sleeve and the more weight loss. Makes sense. But also, the smaller the sleeve the more risk for leaks. So I guess its a a balance between weightloss and risks. My previous surgeon did it the old fashioned way. By eye. No bougie. So I've been left (probably) with a large sleeve.

All sleeves stretch by the time they've been done a year but mine more than many, I guess. I can't completely pig out (and certainly can't binge) but I can eat small portions of a three course meal. Not really the restriction I was looking for. I'm also not losing any weight, unsurprisingly.

The other interesting thing the surgeon said is that the sleeve will cause changes in taste for most people. He described it as the reverse of pregnancy cravings in that you crave the good stuff not the crap. Well, I never had that. I didn't even get the ghrelin effect on hunger that you're supposed to get - I felt strong hunger between meals from about three weeks post-op. And of course because my stomach was smaller I needed to eat more often. So my weight loss was pretty slow. Over the first year I went from 111kg to 88kg - . Well I did get to 86 on one day but that was after doing a fast so I don't think it counts ;0) My weight has settled back at 93/94kg most weeks. Not what I'd expected at all. My 50% EWL (Expected Weight Loss) should have been 25kg, it was only 17kg or 34%. 17 kg is nothing to sneeze at, don't get me wrong, but was not what I'd invested a lot of money (well credit) in.

So I'm a failed sleeve. And now I need to make a decision about whether to go for a sleeve or a bypass. I had looked into the duodenal switch but the surgeon put me right off that! There's such a high risk of malnutrition that most surgeons won't do it. AND you need to stick near the loo - 6 or more number twos in a day and most of them in a rush!!! Not for me.

I have another week or so to make the decision. At the moment I'm thinking of opting for the sleeve. But this may all be academic because I have lots of adhesions from previous surgeries (endometriosis and gastric things) throughout my life and he's warned me that if my insides are too stuck together he won't be able to do a bypass anyway. Then I'd just get the sleeve redone. At this point I'm not too worried but I know the nearer I get I'll start to stress.

I'm only telling my OH (other half) and my Mum. I told a few others last time but I don't need the pressure. Even if it is good pressure. I found the support on this board last time just fantastic and I'm sure you will too. It really helps that there are others out there that know how you feel.

I'm off to see if I know how to start a new thread. I'll call it "November 2016 surgeries". Not sure if I'll be able to invite you too it but will try.

Take care xx

All the best Want2b3!!

Perhaps we should start a November 2016 surgeries thread. I'll see if I can set one up and let you know on here.

As for my previous surgery, apparently the sleeve probably wasn't tight enough. They won't be sure until they go in. According to my surgeon - not the one who did the first op as they've retired - there are many different ways to do the sleeve. The way most surgeons do it now is that they use a bougie (not sure what that looks like but basically a guide for the stapling) but they can choose to use different sizes of bougie to get a tighter or looser sleeve. Apparently, the smaller the bougie, the tighter the sleeve and the more weight loss. Makes sense. But also, the smaller the sleeve the more risk for leaks. So I guess its a a balance between weightloss and risks. My previous surgeon did it the old fashioned way. By eye. No bougie. So I've been left (probably) with a large sleeve.

All sleeves stretch by the time they've been done a year but mine more than many, I guess. I can't completely pig out (and certainly can't binge) but I can eat small portions of a three course meal. Not really the restriction I was looking for. I'm also not losing any weight, unsurprisingly.

The other interesting thing the surgeon said is that the sleeve will cause changes in taste for most people. He described it as the reverse of pregnancy cravings in that you crave the good stuff not the crap. Well, I never had that. I didn't even get the ghrelin effect on hunger that you're supposed to get - I felt strong hunger between meals from about three weeks post-op. And of course because my stomach was smaller I needed to eat more often. So my weight loss was pretty slow. Over the first year I went from 111kg to 88kg - . Well I did get to 86 on one day but that was after doing a fast so I don't think it counts ;0) My weight has settled back at 93/94kg most weeks. Not what I'd expected at all. My 50% EWL (Expected Weight Loss) should have been 25kg, it was only 17kg or 34%. 17 kg is nothing to sneeze at, don't get me wrong, but was not what I'd invested a lot of money (well credit) in.

So I'm a failed sleeve. And now I need to make a decision about whether to go for a sleeve or a bypass. I had looked into the duodenal switch but the surgeon put me right off that! There's such a high risk of malnutrition that most surgeons won't do it. AND you need to stick near the loo - 6 or more number twos in a day and most of them in a rush!!! Not for me.

I have another week or so to make the decision. At the moment I'm thinking of opting for the sleeve. But this may all be academic because I have lots of adhesions from previous surgeries (endometriosis and gastric things) throughout my life and he's warned me that if my insides are too stuck together he won't be able to do a bypass anyway. Then I'd just get the sleeve redone. At this point I'm not too worried but I know the nearer I get I'll start to stress.

I'm only telling my OH (other half) and my Mum. I told a few others last time but I don't need the pressure. Even if it is good pressure. I found the support on this board last time just fantastic and I'm sure you will too. It really helps that there are others out there that know how you feel.

I'm off to see if I know how to start a new thread. I'll call it "November 2016 surgeries". Not sure if I'll be able to invite you too it but will try.

Take care xx
Ohh Maggy I am so sorry that the previous sleeve was too big! Making the choice to have it made smaller shows you believe in the procedure but sadly wrong size. I didn't realize about the smaller the greater risk of leaks! I won't pressure surgeon for very small one then just medium. I didn't realize they stretch again after a year. Does this lead to weight gain again? What are the chances it goes back to how it was before? So the longer someone stays on liquid/purée/soft stages the better then? make that yr 18 months possibly. Could restarting liquid stage shrink the sleeve again to have early stage effects? I have only told mum and people here even manager doesn't know just say 'women's problems' and people don't ask any further lol.

So you won't know till surgeon goes in to if switch or sleeve? Which would you prefer?

Yep you invited me, sorry I go. On a bit but so nice here and need to offload as no one in RL to discuss with as don't want to share it can't even get lift off friends as don't want them to know lol! Told them I was going away with work incl school.

Just to add a bit of my experiences here....
I have no more ability to eat at over two years post of as i did ant 6-12 months. At first your stomach is swollen and healing so the amount i could manage initially was tiny. After that i have been at the same point in term of volume, no stretching has occured. There is suggestion you can stretch your sleeve by repeated over eating.
The bougie size is generally chosen by the surgeon based on what they always use, it goes down your throat and into your stomach creating a guideline for the stapling.
Regards hunger, personally i still have it...it came back about a year post op, i eat every two hours due to having a very small stomach, as i come up to the two hours i am hungry and ready to eat. Thats just my experience.
My tastes have changed a bit, i still have a mad sweet tooth but i now eat currents which before i couldnt even look at. I have totally gone of fried food..chips, aagghh no thanks, fried eggs, bblluurr...before my nickname was actually chippy due to my love of chips!
Think long and hard is all i will say, its no miracle..you still have to use will power and self restraint the further out you get.
Good luck both x

Just to add a bit of my experiences here....
I have no more ability to eat at over two years post of as i did ant 6-12 months. At first your stomach is swollen and healing so the amount i could manage initially was tiny. After that i have been at the same point in term of volume, no stretching has occured. There is suggestion you can stretch your sleeve by repeated over eating.
The bougie size is generally chosen by the surgeon based on what they always use, it goes down your throat and into your stomach creating a guideline for the stapling.
Regards hunger, personally i still have it...it came back about a year post op, i eat every two hours due to having a very small stomach, as i come up to the two hours i am hungry and ready to eat. Thats just my experience.
My tastes have changed a bit, i still have a mad sweet tooth but i now eat currents which before i couldnt even look at. I have totally gone of fried food..chips, aagghh no thanks, fried eggs, bblluurr...before my nickname was actually chippy due to my love of chips!
Think long and hard is all i will say, its no miracle..you still have to use will power and self restraint the further out you get.
Good luck both x
Thank you for the advice. It doesn't matter how much I talk myself out of this I have to many RL reasons to need it esp my health is declining. I hope my sweet tooth disappears. I don't know if they are any healthier but frozen grapes are lovely as they are solid and takes ages to suck one really sweet that satisfies.
This is going to sound odd but when I was a healthy size 12 and 11 stone in my 20s (I know ahhh) I would eat 6 small meals a day. It was the constant keeping the metabolism going helped I think. This could be why your WL has been so amazing! But then days it was all high GI and weightlifting at the gym when I had all the time in the world. Actually once it is safe to be able to go to the gym without a heart attack and being starred/laughed at I will be looking forward to slowly joining things like Pilates and line dancing to get fit fun way and meet more people as isolation big part of my problem which gets worse with this weight. I have so much I want to achieve like go swimming with my sons again or run round the football field as I am mum and dad.

Thank you for the advice. It doesn't matter how much I talk myself out of this I have to many RL reasons to need it esp my health is declining. I hope my sweet tooth disappears. I don't know if they are any healthier but frozen grapes are lovely as they are solid and takes ages to suck one really sweet that satisfies.
This is going to sound odd but when I was a healthy size 12 and 11 stone in my 20s (I know ahhh) I would eat 6 small meals a day. It was the constant keeping the metabolism going helped I think. This could be why your WL has been so amazing! But then days it was all high GI and weightlifting at the gym when I had all the time in the world. Actually once it is safe to be able to go to the gym without a heart attack and being starred/laughed at I will be looking forward to slowly joining things like Pilates and line dancing to get fit fun way and meet more people as isolation big part of my problem which gets worse with this weight. I have so much I want to achieve like go swimming with my sons again or run round the football field as I am mum and dad.

Your RL reasons certainly ring true with me! I'm pretty sure that my quality of life issues and how I was able to articulate that to my surgeon swung the decision in my favour.

Slightly less conventional case (I like to be different) as I'm a revisioner, two stage plus other issues, even so being and feeling 'normal' was such an issue.

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling isolated due to your weight, it's pretty rubbish that we get to that stage but rest assured your amongst friends here!

Here's to achieving things you want to and feeling normal :D

I'm a fairly new sleever, six weeks tomorrow (almost seven years as a bander though) but I was back at work after two weeks and I'm now eating (allebit tiny portions) of normal healthy food.

My tastes have really changed, plus I'm now very sugar sensitive and have early 'dumping syndrome' symptoms. So no chocolate, ice cream etc for me, good job I'm not sweet toothed. I can no longer stomach my beloved cup of tea and seem to just want to eat chicken?? strange lol :p

@Want2b3 pouch can be reduced after a year out by doing the five day pouch test. But like @Kar8858 said it would be over eating regularly that would stretch it. I honestly thought my sleeve was too big and then I have days like yesterday where I struggled to eat the portion of chicken i usually manage daily. I always weigh my food it's an OCD habit now. It's never above 4-4.5oz x

Your RL reasons certainly ring true with me! I'm pretty sure that my quality of life issues and how I was able to articulate that to my surgeon swung the decision in my favour.

Slightly less conventional case (I like to be different) as I'm a revisioner, two stage plus other issues, even so being and feeling 'normal' was such an issue.

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling isolated due to your weight, it's pretty rubbish that we get to that stage but rest assured your amongst friends here!

Here's to achieving things you want to and feeling normal :D

I'm a fairly new sleever, six weeks tomorrow (almost seven years as a bander though) but I was back at work after two weeks and I'm now eating (allebit tiny portions) of normal healthy food.

My tastes have really changed, plus I'm now very sugar sensitive and have early 'dumping syndrome' symptoms. So no chocolate, ice cream etc for me, good job I'm not sweet toothed. I can no longer stomach my beloved cup of tea and seem to just want to eat chicken?? strange lol :p
Hi Mazza, wow band then sleeved. Why did you change? Was the band not working? So to come back again shows it is worth it! I went to a farm type park and they had boats/pedlows even ball on water thing. All the mums were on them with their kids...I had to pretend My boy didn't like that stuff (possibly true) and headed off to the animals which he liked but still felt I left him down. The trip is running next year and want to get on pedlow! We went on a UK park holiday again parents in pool with their kids except me. Want the next one to be in the pool or running round kicking a ball. Wow you are making fast recovery and moved through stages fine. Congrats for 6 weeks tomorrow. Eek I can't live without a cuppa that is the worst ever!

@Want2b3 pouch can be reduced after a year out by doing the five day pouch test. But like @Kar8858 said it would be over eating regularly that would stretch it. I honestly thought my sleeve was too big and then I have days like yesterday where I struggled to eat the portion of chicken i usually manage daily. I always weigh my food it's an OCD habit now. It's never above 4-4.5oz x
Is the five days pouch test going back to stage 1 liquids? I think it's a great habit weighing and monitoring portion control. Something I will have to learn to do and my eyes will at last be bigger than my belly in 6 days.

Yes clear liquids and cloudy etc for the first two then reintroducing foods each day thereafter
That is good to know for the future so much to learn!

Back