• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking after band?

patricia2612

I was told by my provider that it's no problem if I continue smoking. Has anyone carried on smoking and experienced any problems or experienced no problems by smoking? Would appreciate your responses! Thank you

Really?? My hospital won't operate if you have smoked within the previous 90 days as it makes the healing process longer. I can't understand a doctor saying smoking is ok either. I am now an ex smoker of almost 11 months.

When I had my op at the hospital group a lady was outside smoking straight after, who I had met in the morni g, my oh had a cig with her, couldn't believe it x

I smoked a day after bypass. Naughty I know but It is now my only vice! Will kick this particular habit when am good and ready xx

You will have to tell them you are taking Champix, they are a really potent drug and you are having a general anaesthetic. You would be better off with patches or nicotine mints. x

at the seminar i was at my surgeon said he wont operate on smokers for risks of blood clotting etc. he did however say if you cant give up totally then you need at least 2 weeks b4 and 2 weeks after op as a non smoker 4 the healing process.
its putting your life at risk and its not worth it, there will be plenty time to smoke after those crucial few weeks :)

good luck.......i know exactly how hard it is 2 quit!!!....(its even worse when you dont want to quit and only doing it 4 the op lol )

its so hard to do, so well done, just dont give up giving up xxx

Yep so hard me and wencho are with the same surgeon and he won't operate on people who smoke. I went from 20+ a day and quit middle of July never smoked since. It is hard but so important just as important as pre op diet, as when we were at seminar he listed some of the things that could happen due to smoking after and during op. It was definitely enough to make me stop, enough of me nagging lol. Good luck to all of you who are trying to give up x x x

Well I am an ex smoker not had one for years but there is not a day goes pass me by where i do not miss them - BUT know my health must always come first and at the risk of having things thrown at me I do worry when people ask this question I think quitting should go hand in hand with this life altering surgery. "We" get a bad enough name as it is!

Have been reflecting on this thread a lot over the course of the day... gave up smoking two years agö after a 10yr long habit, then to my utter shame started again about 6 weeks ago with a vengeance. I have my first consultation on Weds (with view to having a band within the next few weeks) and just jumped out of bed to flush the remains of my packet down the toilet. Figured it was best done on my own steam rather than at the consultant's request...can't help feeling a bit excited that this band is going to change my life in more ways than one :)

That's really kind Suzie, thanks - though words are easy, it's the following them through that's the real challenge!! :)

Have been reflecting on this thread a lot over the course of the day... gave up smoking two years agö after a 10yr long habit, then to my utter shame started again about 6 weeks ago with a vengeance. I have my first consultation on Weds (with view to having a band within the next few weeks) and just jumped out of bed to flush the remains of my packet down the toilet. Figured it was best done on my own steam rather than at the consultant's request...can't help feeling a bit excited that this band is going to change my life in more ways than one :)
good luck beebs, maybe buy some gum so when u really fancy one have a piece of gum instead. :) xxx

Well dun beeb xx its really hard I've cut down from 20+ per day to about 10 :( but really need to do better lol xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back