• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking and WLS

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I've been trying to give up smoking before the surgery with no success. I never manage more than a couple of days then it's back on the fags. I have my pre op assessment in two weeks time so I'm going to try again as of tomorrow.
My surgeon has stated that if I am still smoking when I am admitted for surgery I will be sent home again.

I found this interesting article about giving up smoking before surgery which might be of use to others here.

Smoking: Should I Quit for Surgery and Anesthesia?

i forced myself to quit because i was scared i wouldnt wake up! I hear champix is meant to be really good, although i quit with patches.

Good luck, it really is hard work! x

I quit 6 months ago today..with the help of jacqui (dotty) and em(seawaves)
I got free patches gum and inhaler from my nurse at the GPs.
I did the patches (but taped on with full strength plaster tape)
I did then for the recommended time..and I really found it easy...I never thought after 20 years of smoking I would say that...

I was told I would not get funding or op if I did not quit(big enough incentive!!)
I was told if I had not quit 6 weeks before then there would be no op...
my PCT now have the rule in place that smoking ceases 6 weeks prior to application for funding...

I feel so much better for quitting....(I just need to quit my chewing gum addiction now,only kidding . lol)

It may help to put up a thread to keep your hands busy when you are having erges hun..it helped me....in fact I don't think I would have been as successful if it hadnt been for bev and dotty giving me their support...
good luck hun,.. x

Awww course you would Lisa, you quit we just supported you and gave you the benefit of our experiences. It really is hard to quit and especially if someone is telling you that you have to do it! I was told to quit years ago after having DVT's but the more they nagged me the more stubborn I got! (typical me!) When I had a stroke though I sh*t myself lol and I though "right, this is it! Im quitting and thats that!"
I got Champix hun and I found them to be brilliant, its a personnal choice really how you quit some prefer the patches but the biggest hurdle is your own head! You have to want to do it and what better incentive than your WLS? :D You can do this, we are living proof! I used to smoke 80 a day :eek: Im ashamed to admit that lol but I did..........get your head on hun and give it another go, you would be devastated if they refused to operate because of your smoking (HUG) Good Luck XX

set a date to stop - maybe see your nurse at the gp for some support at the non smokin cesation.
ive been stopped 16 months now, my gp wouldnt even consider filling in the forms for my surgery untill i had stopped so that was it, the fags went in the bin., it is very hard but youve just got to think to yourself after them first couple of days and you feel like a fag - youve done it now! why make yourself gag for a few days just to turn back? youve got to think to yourself "i havent gagged all this time to turn back now" and stick to it!
i used patches and the inhalator - but i didnt think the patches worked for me - its was the inhalator that did it for me because i had something to do with my hands and could feel it on the back of my throat when i puffed on it.
you can do it hun - and when ever you feel temptation, come back to this thread and sum1 will be here to tell you off for thinking about it, lol good luck!!!

I gave up 3 weeks ago tomorrow!! I wasn't told to give up, I just thought what's the point of me being slim enough to exercise but not having the breath to do it. Also I know from when I've quit before that I replace fags for food and obviously I couldn't do that after surgery.

I've been using the patches and to be honest it's not been too bad :confused:I thought it would be really hard as I quite liked smoking!

It's too early to see the health benefits but the purse is feeling better for it, well actually I've been saving about £35 a weeks so I'm putting it all way for my skinny clothes fund!!

Get your mind in it and do it!
Good luck
VICKY x

Awww course you would Lisa, you quit we just supported you and gave you the benefit of our experiences. It really is hard to quit and especially if someone is telling you that you have to do it!
Jacqui..you uttered one sentence to me..and I thought of you every time I had an craving..
you said "the craving only last 5 minutes"
How true it was.
I will love you forever for that sentence and your support jacqui. xx
I too was really stubborn too about quitting..I tried to kid myself with the sentence of "I don't go out, I don't drink and I don't buy clothes" to excuse my bad habit...who was I trying to kid..
anyhow...we will be behind you yorkiegirl... x x :cool:

yeah and youve got to realise them cravings are all in your head. abit like head hunger..... there isnt an angry dinasaur inside scratching at ya saying "give me nicotine now or im going to eat you" its all in your head! lol something else to keep telling yourself!

xxxx

Champix did it for my hubby who smoked for 50 years!

Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did.

I used to smoke 20 a day from the age of 14, I decided on a date and just stopped. That was 5 years ago now.

I had one small relapse at 6 months where I had a ciggy at a party but nothing since.

Just recently I nearly started again but as you say, I talked myself out of it. I mean how mad would it be to start again now? Also hubs would kill me LOL.

Good luck with quitting, come here if you feel weak and like you are wanting to give in to the demon nicotine and we will help you through. :)

Back