• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking

Marie1986

Im ready to start my life
Anyone had any problems with having a band and being a smoker?

Im a social smoker, i only do it because everyone else does sort of thing.. though i admit to doing it a couple of times when having a bad day!

Sooo.. is there any problems? Can you smoke?

Marie x

Hi

Have you allready had the band? if not you may have to give up prior to having the op but afterwards, if you wanted to start again Im sure you can.

Liz (2 bands) is a recent ex smoker.

Maz x

Hi there,

Some hospital insist you quit two weeks before as this gives you a better chance of not getting complications during and just after surgery. A smokers airways are not as clear as a non smokers and anaesthetic can be more dangerous to a smoker.

I am an ex smoker of over 4 years and I have to say it was the best thing I did, once the iniatial cravings subsided I wondered why I had ever started. I was 13 when I did and even now it scares me what damage I could have done.

And the band is all about getting health back, so I wanted to quit, as it would be detrimental to long term goals.

But check with your provider what they expect of you regarding smoking.

As others have sid, after the op it will be entirely up to you :)

smoking before any op is a bad thing & its better to pack in before the op and most surgeons insist on this or will not operate, smoking after the op can cause all sorts of issues with wounds infections and general bad healing, your providor will tell you what they expect from you, once healed then its down to personal choice x

Last edited:
Thankyou Ladies..
Im Pre-Op.

Right thats that then..
I dont like smoking to be honest, havent a clue why i join in..
If it all goes towards the new me, then thats fine by me..

but god help me, if i get turned down! lol..

x

Good luck, i know my hospital said you had to stop 2 weeks before hand, I stopped 8-9 years ago and would never start again. xx

Confession time!!! I'm a smoker and a bander and smoked right up to having my op. I found it really hard to give up food and ciggies together on my pre op diet so I cut right down and then I'm afraid to say I carried on smoking post op. If you can give them up then it would be so much better for you all round with the added bonus of more money to buy the glam new clothes you'll be able to fit into after your op. Good luck sweetheartxx

Back