• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sorry. Another protein question....

ditzeeblonde

I don't know if I imagined it but I'm sure there was a formula for working out how much protein you should be getting post-op by dividing yr weight by 'a number'....

Can't remember if I saw it on here or read it in a book.

I know protein is essential for healing straight after the op does it matter if alot of it comes from protein shakes/shots initially until you can chew on meats? The thought of pureed meat really does turn my stomach!!

Many thanks Linzi. x

Im not an expert on this Linzi bit thought I would respond as I can see a lot have viewed your post but not replied.

I believe you may find it in one of Phatgirls posts, but there will be lots of posts so may take some searching. From memory I think it is more to do with your ideal weight than your current weight, but I could be wrong! (wouldnt be the first time)

In all honesty though, I have never counted a single protein gram and it hasnt done me any harm. I havent had protein shakes either. In the early days I got my protein via milk, and once I was onto a more "normal" diet I just ensure that I have some protein at each meal and always eat my protein first.

I think as a minimum we should aim for 60g of protein, but as I said I have never counted. In all honesty I would be surprised if I get as much as 60g and I am in perfect health.

Thanks for this as I'm always worried that my dietician said there was no need to take protein shakes when I know quite a few others do. Xx

Thanks guys... I have always used protein shakes so will continue to fit one in I suspect.

That rings a bell Sam about yr ideal weight... will go & read again. Thank you. xx

When i was stalling i wasn't having my protein shakes. Now i've started them again my weight has shifted, well at least it did last week :)

If you can't eat meat then you really may need protein shakes to keep your levels up xxx

Yes, it was one of Nics posts, and yes, it is calculated on ideal weight. If you can't find it PM me and I'll ask her, or PM her directly.

Protein needs isn't just about losing the weight, although it does help, it is also about long term health. Low protein intake leads to muscle weakness and wastage, which is a real threat to all bypassers. It is very difficult to get your protein needs in just by diet alone, particularly in the first two years post op.

Thanks Shel... everything I have read seems to impress the importance of protein after yr op, have sampled some of the protein shots & am looking to get some of them for the early days. I know that supplements are not a replacement for the nutrition of real food but its gotta help until you can eat what you need????

Yes, it was one of Nics posts, and yes, it is calculated on ideal weight. If you can't find it PM me and I'll ask her, or PM her directly.

Protein needs isn't just about losing the weight, although it does help, it is also about long term health. Low protein intake leads to muscle weakness and wastage, which is a real threat to all bypassers. It is very difficult to get your protein needs in just by diet alone, particularly in the first two years post op.

I have a friend who has never been able to eat much although she does try and get the protein in... She has back troubles which she keeps a constant supply of cocodamol (amongst other painkillers) to help suppress this. What i'm saying is this, if she'd had enough protein in during her weight loss journey would her muscles be stronger in her back to give more support now she is 12 stone lighter? I often ponder this question........

Quite possible. Back trouble is rather common post weightloss, as your stomach muscles are often weakened and it is these rather than your back muscles that cause the problem. Ideally, you need a balance of protein and core strengthening exercises to acheive the best health results and avoid the back problem. Not necessarily full on gym classes, but concentrating on the core muscle groups definitely helps.

As for not replacing nutrition, thats exactly the point. A supplement is just that, something to supplement your regular diet, not replace it. I was always a 3 meals + 3 snacks girl on my journey, and as well as each being protein heavy, one of my snacks would be a protein shake.

Blimey, very interesting thread, i think i am going to have to force some protein shakes down me, i am still forcing myself to eat, and while i try and have protein, i dont suppose it will be nearly enough daily.

Quite possible. Back trouble is rather common post weightloss, as your stomach muscles are often weakened and it is these rather than your back muscles that cause the problem. Ideally, you need a balance of protein and core strengthening exercises to acheive the best health results and avoid the back problem. Not necessarily full on gym classes, but concentrating on the core muscle groups definitely helps.

As for not replacing nutrition, thats exactly the point. A supplement is just that, something to supplement your regular diet, not replace it. I was always a 3 meals + 3 snacks girl on my journey, and as well as each being protein heavy, one of my snacks would be a protein shake.

Thanks Shel.. I was planning on using the protein shakes/bullets as snacks & probably breakfast as its usually the only thing I can stomach in the morning but that may all change soon I guess. x

Thought I'd copy & paste some of the info I found useful from this thread http://www.wlsurgery.com/pre-op-diets/123000-protein-supplements-shots.html

There is loads of info on there, its a sticky on the pre-op board.

Phatgirl has done some amazing research & everything I have read up on (especially the American books) cannot emphasise enough about the importance of protein, this thread has been a real god-send to me.... although I still couldn't find the forumla for it!
Hi Wobbles,

Here's the scoop:

1) Directly post-op: Increased protein is needed for repairing the body from trauma (surgery, rapid weight loss) becuase you have to feed the cells to replace them.

2) After healing has taken place: Increased protein is needed to feed the muscles while burning the fat, if you don't do that you starve the muscle and you loose muscle mass along with your fat (your body will burn anything for fuel, it doesn't care if it is muscle or fat) and you will become very weak.

Does that make sense?

Also, forgot to mention the bonus. When you eat protein, your body works harder to digest it than other foods, therefore it speeds up your metabolism making you a fat burning machine!!;)

Cheese, milk, eggs and some beans provide protein. Protein supplements aren't required it is just that actually eating enough is difficult in the early stages.

Sorry, I cut that post short by accident. Also yoghurt, fromage frais, tinned tuna & salmon, low-sugar custards & low-sugar mousse powder.

The problem is that at the portion size you can handle early on (the 1st 8 weeks) only allows for about half the protein that is recommended to support muscle mass & good health. To put simply, most servings of regular protein can't offer more than 10g of protein (usually more like 5g) at a time. If you are doing the recommended 4-6 meals for the 1st 8 weeks, you get 40-60g of protein (absolute max possible, usually more like 30-40g). For an ideal weight of 140lbs (I am not shooting that low personally) 80-100g of protein is recommended. So you can see the problem, that is why a drink of 4-6 ounces with a protein count of 20g or more can really make the difference.;)

This is all from research I have done, books I have read, etc. Do your own research if you like, I am just offering what I have found.

Best of luck and keep checking here for more protein ideas!:D

Proitein tips:

Parmesan cheese is a very concentrated protein source, just one teaspoon can add several grams to what you are eating and in such a small amount it is low fat.

Prawns are a terrific natural source of protein, they offer bang for the buck as Americans say. They are almost fat free, can be frozen almost forever and defrost in minutes under cold running water. They also add more protein grams than their equivalent weight of cheese, yogurt or milk!

Low-fat string cheese is a tasty snack, has the nutritional value of a glass of milk and is highly portable for people on the go.

Just thought I would share since not everyone can afford protein supplements;)!

As always if you are in question about your nutritional advice, you should check with your team for clarification. You will find that the advice will differ from surgeon to surgeon and hospital to hospital so double check with your own team for their advice.

I can offer you my opinion/experience as a patient, but remember that is all it is, my opinion/experience. Yes, I supplemented my protein intake from day one. I shoot for 80-100 grams of protein per day with a minimum of 60 grams. I don't calorie count because if you are eating balanced meals everyday you shouldn't need to count calories. Your main focus as a bypasser should be on getting enough nutrients daily to keep you healthy while burning fat. The best way to do that in my opinion is to focus on protein as 50% of your diet. At the early post-op stage I have found that people don't need to count calories but rather make sure they are getting 4-6 servings of protein throughout the day. Once you have managed to get your protein up, you can set a caloric goal if you find that easier. But remember as long as you are eating enough daily to stay out of starvation mode, calorie counting isn't needed.

Here is a guideline for calories per day if you find it useful:

In the first 3 months around 400-600 calories per day which 50% should be protein. From 3-6 months 500-700 cals per day, again 50% protein. From 6 months to 1 year post-op, 800-1000 cal per day. Between year one and two you should be able to reach a calorie intake of 1200 per day. Again at every stage your protein should be 50% of your diet until you reach over 1000 cals then your protein should be about 40% of your diet.

Hope that helps,
Nic;)

If anyones interested I also have trialed these shots for post-op & this was the cheapest I'd seen them....
IDS, New Whey Liquid Protein, Protein Ready to Drink, Protein Blend at Discount Supplements

Back