• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starvation mode

mandym1

I know I am a very new post opper and am in the early stages.. but I'm concerned about what I have read about your body going into stavation mode. This happens when you dont take in enough calories. This slows down the bodies metabolism and reduces weight loss. Can anyone shed any light on this and how it affects us all post op?

My dietician last week said that she is not worried about my calorie intake at this stage, they just need high protein food to be going in.

I think its something like anything below 1000 cals, could put your body in starvation mode, however newly post op like you, and im just hitting 700 cals a day on average.

I've been really lucky so far (touch wood) the only thing that has bothered me is too much milk making me feel sick. I'm ahead of schedule on the food stages as I have tried a couple of things that are on the next stage and had no problems. I'm only managing 400 to 450 cals per day though. I'm sure its too early for me to be overly concerned and as you say I need to just concentrate on proteins and I will see what my dietician advises at my 6 week check x

the fortimel drinks seem to have a strange effect on me. I go abit weak and ill feeling. Not sure why. Mandy i've tried abit of pureed food today and it was vile. I'm not due them for a couple of weeks and now i aint looking forward to it at all lol x

I should still be on liquids Sarah but my team said when I feel ready I can try the next stage. I'm not brave enough to have too much so I'm still on 90% liquid but have had chicken, ham and carrots in soups very small quantities but enough to chew and they have stayed down fine, no sickness at all. Ive also tried cottage cheese on melba toast today and laughing cow cheese triangles, again no adverse affects at all. I'm not going to push it though and will stick to liquids as much as possible. I will be in my 3rd week on Tuesday so will add something else to the mix then. x

sounds like you are doing great mandy. I pureed chicken supreme and rice...Eeek!!! hope i can come up with some better ideas lol x

the fortimel drinks seem to have a strange effect on me. I go abit weak and ill feeling. Not sure why.

That sounds like dumping syndrome to me Sarah. Not that I'm an expert, not having been under the knife yet lol.
I thought we had to wait 4 weeks before trying puree?

hold fire miss tickle lol...it was purely for tasting purposes only...in preparation for my puree stage. I'm a good girl i'll have you know lol x

Hold the rice!Pureed or not its too early!
Starvation mode will only kick in while you are healing and on such low amounts.Dont forget it takes a while for your innards to heal and the swelling to go down around the joins.That is what makes it hard to take more solid foods.It will only come back up or get stuck!As swelling goes down,more food eaten so weightloss kicks in.

Hold the rice!Pureed or not its too early!
Starvation mode will only kick in while you are healing and on such low amounts.Dont forget it takes a while for your innards to heal and the swelling to go down around the joins.That is what makes it hard to take more solid foods.It will only come back up or get stuck!As swelling goes down,more food eaten so weightloss kicks in.

How long does it take for the swelling to go down?

Julie

I was sick of milk too when I was just a few weeks out. I substituted some of it with soya milk which seemed to help me feel less bloated and snotty, although I really don't like the taste of it. Now I'm able to manage some fruit and soft foods like mince so it's a lot lot better.

Protein powder has helped increase my intake and also made my weight loss increase.

I was sick of milk too when I was just a few weeks out. I substituted some of it with soya milk which seemed to help me feel less bloated and snotty, although I really don't like the taste of it. Now I'm able to manage some fruit and soft foods like mince so it's a lot lot better.

Protein powder has helped increase my intake and also made my weight loss increase.

Which protein powder have you been using Yorkie?

I was told it takes quite a few weeks for the internal swelling to go down,hence the liquid and then puree diet.I would guess 6 weeks.

Back